'13 LA RB Kaleb Blanchard

LOL @ comparing this kid to DY. DY was playing against weak HS comp here, and there has already been a poster (pg 1 I believe) that say he plays against big time comp down there in LA; high school football there should never be compared to TN football. I'm not sure what to think about this kid, but size and speed are def there. For those saying "well he has an awesome line too" well, yeah we have one of those also.

I don't know much about the conpetition of Tennessee high school football but in 5A (the highest classification we have here) down there, there's not too many walkover schools. Alot of all boys schools down there and high school football is serious to them.

Reactions: 1 person
From Rivals -

For Kaleb Blanchard, it worked out both ways. He saw a door close with the arrival of Bret Bielema at Arkansas, and one open when Butch Jones took over at Tennessee.

Reactions: 2 people
From Rivals -

For Kaleb Blanchard, it worked out both ways. He saw a door close with the arrival of Bret Bielema at Arkansas, and one open when Butch Jones took over at Tennessee.

Would love to see this kid end up at Tennessee. I think he would be the power back we have been looking for.

He hits the hole hard but where does he fit in our scheme right now? A fall back if we dont get Green? I dont see him with Green. We need a scat back to go with the power.

He hits the hole hard but where does he fit in our scheme right now? A fall back if we dont get Green? I dont see him with Green. We need a scat back to go with the power.

What is DY? What is Pig? We have several options at "scat back" IMO. I would be fine with taking (2) 210-230lb RBs who can put their head down and mash some people.

Reactions: 4 people
What is DY? What is Pig? We have several options at "scat back" IMO. I would be fine with taking (2) 210-230lb RBs who can put their head down and mash some people.

underrated post of the year IMO. if we can get both Kaleb and Derrick, we would be set for a while. for all of you who say that we need this and that, skit and skat.. look at when we were winning games consistently. we had a stable of bruisers, similar as to LSU now.

I tired of getting the left over recruits, win us some ball games Butch so we can have our pick. I think this kid has talent, and would be a good addition to the RB roster. The problem is would he be an upgrade from current talent.

Who all do we expect to have at back for spring...

Neal
Lane
Smith
Watson
Young
Pig

I think our scat backs like Watson, young and pig will flourish

Who all do we expect to have at back for spring...

Neal
Lane
Smith
Watson
Young
Pig

I think our scat backs like Watson, young and pig will flourish

Several people have said they think Smith will transfer. Not sure if that is confirmed or just a guess. I would like to see him get a shot. Maybe with the new staff, that happens. Alot of these kids who were sought after recruits and have not seen the field yet need to look at this new staff as a 2nd chance. Come out ready to compete and win the job. I think we may be surprised how much talent was sitting on the bench because the old staff could not actually coach. (RBs were coached well IMO, but not so sure CJG was responsible for putting the best player on the field). I think CJC and CDD made those calls.

Give him a year at running back and if that doesn't work out he could gain weight and be a linebacker

Yeah, I haven't seen that burst for DG, MAYBE a couple of times.. but not consistently. I know Alden Hill was great in HS, but I've yet to see anything from him that leads to any promise. However, I think that CBJ will use QW and DY differently and maybe get them into space. That's the ONLY hope either of them have at making some noise in this league. They are simply TOO SMALL.

If we were to get this kid and DG, that would be more of an Alabama'esque backfield.. running on pure brute strength and power. We haven't had that in years, but when we do we usually have a pretty damn special team. I'd like to see them take 3, maybe land Turman or Karmara. I highly doubt Turman sticks if AK commits to the dawgs. Too much depth in front of him.

Hill hasnt played and redshirted because of mono, so I doubt anyone has seen anything from him.

Several people have said they think Smith will transfer. Not sure if that is confirmed or just a guess. I would like to see him get a shot. Maybe with the new staff, that happens. Alot of these kids who were sought after recruits and have not seen the field yet need to look at this new staff as a 2nd chance. Come out ready to compete and win the job. I think we may be surprised how much talent was sitting on the bench because the old staff could not actually coach. (RBs were coached well IMO, but not so sure CJG was responsible for putting the best player on the field). I think CJC and CDD made those calls.

After seeing Naz Oliver play a good game at CB after Dooley left makes me really question if there isn't more talent on this roster that just didn't get a shot last year because they weren't a favorite of Dooley.

After seeing Naz Oliver play a good game at CB after Dooley left makes me really question if there isn't more talent on this roster that just didn't get a shot last year because they weren't a favorite of Dooley.

My understanding is there were alot of "favorites play" situations with the old staff. It had nothing to do with talent, just favorites. I expect there to be some great surprises pop up with our current roster. I would also not be shocked to see CBJ cut loose fewer players than people expect. "We have to drop 6-10 guys so we can take a full class". IMO, that is where we get in trouble. Wonder why we have no SR's? If you cut them loose before they become SR's, don't ask why. I think alot of players who could not see the field for CDD and staff, will under CBJ.

You take great athletes at any position no matter how many you have. They will find a way to get into the mix. Too much can happen with grades, personal issues, attitudes, injuries, etc. not to take them. Ask Bama, LSU and UF. C'mon on up to Rocky Top, Kaleb.

My understanding is there were alot of "favorites play" situations with the old staff. It had nothing to do with talent, just favorites. I expect there to be some great surprises pop up with our current roster. I would also not be shocked to see CBJ cut loose fewer players than people expect. "We have to drop 6-10 guys so we can take a full class". IMO, that is where we get in trouble. Wonder why we have no SR's? If you cut them loose before they become SR's, don't ask why. I think alot of players who could not see the field for CDD and staff, will under CBJ.

I agree the Naz Olivers and the Geraldo Ortas of the world will get their fair shot at playing finally.

The players to be cut will be either DL that are way down the depth chart and RBs who are way down the depth chart. There will be zero DB and WR cut I can promise that. As one poster said Oliver and Orta will get their chance to play with CBJ. So will Tino at DB. As I mentioned in another forum if you have speed, can catch/ defend, and are willing to learn you have a chance to play with CBJ. If we land Green at RB, then Watson, DY, Lane, Neal, and Green will all be playing. The rest of the guys will either prove themselves some other way or will leave due to zero playing time.

UT had no SR's for no other reason than Kiffin's only signing class being a complete and total bust. There is almost always attrition though... and if you are getting rid of guys who will never contribute to free up room for guys who might then it is all the better. It is a cruel system but that is a key to building a winning roster.

As for "favorites" play, all coaches have intangibles they look for and things that attract them to a player. It isn't all objective analysis. The great thing for those guys is that they will get their shot whereas they didn't before. Hopefully it will be great for UT as well.

I think Blanchard and Kemp are both takes even if we land Green.

We lose Neal after this year and who knows what will happen with Smith and Hill.

George Winn - Yahoo! Sports

Butch Jones seemed to have done pretty well with this kid as well. Hopefully he brings that "Player Development" mentality to Knoxville. His ability to make the most out of what he has to work with is what I am most excited about.

VN Store

Back