Deficit up 17%

Federal grants, yes, but I'm pretty sure the administration is at the state level.
Can you link that? I'm not trying to be a smart___. I have NEVER seen the federal government give federal grants to states with no oversight, or strings attached.

And the federal gvmt matching state $$$ isn't really the definition of shrinking government is it?

Ah... So, you all want government as a security blanket for failure and misfortune, not yourselves personally (unless you fail and fall on misfortune).

In any case. You want government as a security blanket. You just want to split hairs about why you want it. OK.
Correct.
If your neighbor comes home from Afghanistan with PTSD and a missing a limb. I'm okay with my tax dollar helping him out.
If your uncle just lost his house and pecan farm to Hurricane Michael and his insurance is slow or insufficient, I'm fine with my tax dollar helping him out.
If your grandchild is born with a disability that requires services beyond what health care covers, I'm fine with my tax dollar helping out.
If the lady down the road is a meth head and her kids need food and shelter, I'm fine with my tax dollar helping out.

Not sure where the hair splitting comes into play. Possibly in your own 2 dimensional mind.

Can you link that? I'm not trying to be a smart___. I have NEVER seen the federal government give federal grants to states with no oversight, or strings attached.

And the federal gvmt matching state $$$ isn't really the definition of shrinking government is it?
Lol, I don't think our government has ever shrunk! I don't have a link. Just relying on memory. Someone please correct me, if I'm off track.

Correct.
If your neighbor comes home from Afghanistan with PTSD and a missing a limb. I'm okay with my tax dollar helping him out.
If your uncle just lost his house and pecan farm to Hurricane Michael and his insurance is slow or insufficient, I'm fine with my tax dollar helping him out.
If your grandchild is born with a disability that requires services beyond what health care covers, I'm fine with my tax dollar helping out.
If the lady down the road is a meth head and her kids need food and shelter, I'm fine with my tax dollar helping out.

Not sure where the hair splitting comes into play. Possibly in your own 2 dimensional mind.
Just the fact that you took issue with his original statement that matches exactly what you just said. You're a strange cat, luther. It's like you're ashamed of being proud of the crap you believe.

No one wants a system that offers life long dependence. If you actually think that is the liberal objective, you've been drinking way to much Kool-Aid.
wait a minute. we have had multiple posters pushing for this very think. I forget which thread but we had one guy arguing about bigger and bigger government safety nets. Its exactly what you are pushing for.

Correct.

What about “protesters” that have lived in government housing their entire life (generations actually), put no effort into their education, have no aspirations of ever being gainfully employed, and blame everything on someone else? I promise you these are predominately if not exclusively democratic constituents that are propped up by the likes of Waters, Pelosi, Cuomo, Bernie, Obama, etc. Dims think giving them everything will somehow motivate them to get their act together. That is other than the actual politicians promising them everything, they know the results....voter plantations. Repubs think the motivation would come from them knowing their handout has a permanent expiration date.

According to this article by the history channel:

https://www.history.com/news/clinton-1990s-welfare-reform-facts

The federal grants were dependent on newly created requirements developed (read: overseen) by the feds.
Basically, that means the grant money is not given indiscriminately, and states must match funds. It also described work requirements and stricter guidelines for receiving benefits. So, Clinton did successfully shrink welfare...a bit.

Basically, that means the grant money is not given indiscriminately, and states must match funds. It also described work requirements and stricter guidelines for receiving benefits. So, Clinton did successfully shrink welfare...a bit.
My point is that you have to have a federal level of oversight and administration as well as a state level of oversight and administration, as well as both a federal and state level of financing. The point of the conversation was government size. Clinton didn't shrink the government by pushing administration of welfare down to the state level.

And the number on assistance didn't shrink due to Clinton's changes. It shrank due to an economic upswing. As usual, when the economy turned down, the number of recipients skyrocketed, as seen by the record numbers left by Obama.

I'm not arguing. I'm trying to make sure we're having the same conversation.

Reactions: Vol_Doc
In 2012, Obama had 1 in 5 people on some form of government assistance. Yet his goal was to get people off? If this had been Trump, Luther would be calling him the biggest liar in history.

Trump is the biggest liar in history. Over 5,000 lies since he took office.

Reactions: luthervol
Correct.

Helping a vet - sure. They earned it.
Not your responsibility to help my uncle out and visa versa. He wouldn't share his windfall on his pecans if the hurricane took out the competition instead of him.
Not your responsibility to help out my grand-kid, if you want to give to a charity that benefits them, great. But it's not the govs job.
I'm fine with helping the kids with my tax $$, not the mother.

In other words take care of your own **** and quit expecting the collective to bail your ass out.

Basically, that means the grant money is not given indiscriminately, and states must match funds. It also described work requirements and stricter guidelines for receiving benefits. So, Newt did successfully shrink welfare...a bit.

fify

Remember welfare reform was one of the biggest issues that lead to the shutdown then.

Trump is the biggest liar in history. Over 5,000 lies since he took office.
Still a far better POTUS than Zero was by a long shot. More people working and keeping what they earn... etc.... Well, you know the list.

Still a far better POTUS than Zero was by a long shot. More people working and keeping what they earn... etc.... Well, you know the list.

At least you don't deny that Trump is a serial liar. The worst part is that the 5,000 lies do not even include his statements of bigotry, misogyny, and just general idiocy. He's a complete failure.

Thought with the conservatives in total control we would get the budget under control, but sadly they have made it worse.

779 Billion

What's funny, is the Anti-Gov't, Anti-Welfare, slash and cut wing (kicked back to 1%), of our Gov't, who now resorts to acting like teenagers needs to have their bank card taken away.

Don't worry guys, the next Dem will come along and fix it, again.

Reactions: luthervol

VN Store

Back