• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

You don’t want Mike Leach and here’s why

I prefer stopping this rotating door at HC at Tennessee. Is Pruitt the guy? I don’t know yet but I know his kids are playing a lot better and wanting to win. The upperclassmen aren’t committing to win or their ceiling is just short of expectations. It’s not Pruitts fault a lot of the roster was recruited on Stars over ability. I’d sure like to give him more time and see where we are rather than take on the idea of hoping we get it right and dealing with Bing Mcgoogle nxt year. The fat cats aren’t going to approve any hire mentioned on this board and deep down we all know it

There's no appreciation that with early signing, the infamous "year 2" is now really year 1 for new coaches. If anyone looked at it rationally, it was clear that early signing was going to be a ball buster for first year coaches trying to build a team to his type of play. To most people who've had a career in a large business or military, you'd also know that people who've been there and done that detest and resent almost every new boss when someone decides to reorganize or otherwise rearrange the deck chairs. It is almost a give that due to age, players will (with few exceptions) have bonded with the outgoing coach and see his forced departure as a stab in the back; that's not good for an incoming coach, and NCAA recruiting rules don't allow a quick fix.

We can speculate all we want. Facts are Leach was the OC at Kentucky in 97-98 and couch re-wrote the SEC record book under his tutelage.

And KY still only went 2-6 and 4-4 with Leach and his air raid against SEC opposition; Vandy and SC weren't much opposition at the time either - two fairly automatic wins even for KY.

He had a top 15 defense last year, but keep drinking that Pruitt koolaid. Where did ours finish? I'll wait.

So one year would make him the guy to have a Tennessee?
It would be underwhelming defensively and we’d still lose more than we won.

Koolaid is good you should try some especially when it’s hot.

You can’t win a game in the SEC if teams can shred your defense by running the ball and running down the clock. That’s exactly what would happen. There’s a reason why his “air raid” is successful because it’s the PAC 12. Where they basically play 7 on 7 with 11 guys and football pads. That won’t work in the SEC. We would be right where we are and even more frustrated bc we would get so close and fail every time.

The same offense worked pretty well when Leach was OC at UK under Hal Mumme. A variation of that offense is literally on fire at LSU right now. Hugh Freeze while at Ole Miss was the only coach to beat Saban a couple times using his variation of the Spread.

The names may change but the bottom line is pass-centric offenses that take advantage of space through alignment (ie...spread) absolutely do work in both college and pro. But you’re probably right, it would never work here. Especially since we have a dominant Oline....

Reactions: PhilFulmersGut
Again, if we try to be like Bama and UGA we will continue to lose to Bama and UGA. Leach is the different approach that gives us a punchers chance.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
He competes, usually with less available talent, in a manner that is not embarrassing. He doesn’t get boat raced like we often do.

I’m not looking for miracles right now, because we are in a bad place. But Leach would win some he’s not supposed to just by coming out on top in a shootout. Also, and this is not a small thing, his teams are fun to watch. When was the last time you could say that about a Tennessee team?

Right now we are trying to compete by poorly emulating Bama, and it doesn’t work. It never will work. The only way, down as far as we are, is to do something different. Leach would have us in some games that we aren’t currently in, and he would build interest in a struggling program.

Oh here we go.

With that team Pruitt could match or better that record.

And the same can be said with Butch 16 team.
What evidence do you have that CJP could outcoach either of those two if his record as a DC is not allowed as evidence? I certainly haven’t seen anything in his career here to indicate he’s even a marginally better coach than either one.

Mike Leaches team had 6 turn overs and allowed a horribly coached Chip Kelly team to come back from being down 32 points at the half.

Let that sink in. 32 POINTS AT THE HALF.

Coach Mike Leach’s team then lost 67-63.
This man can’t coach defense.

Defense wins championships. I’m assuming the desired goal of every volnation fan is to 1 win games and 2 start winning championships again. Well you can’t win either (at least as consistently as we wish) without a defense.

Please sit down and stop suggesting Tennessee hire this guy. Because 2 years after he coaches here and he makes us pay him millions to make up for the embarrassment the first time around you’ll be calling for his head too. Funny how people play fast and loose with money that’s not theirs. “Fire this guy! Hire that guy!” “Sure it’ll put us in debt another 25 million plus, to pay for them and their staffs buyout while simultaneously paying for the new head coach and their staff but do it! I can’t go to work and get made fun of anymore. It hurts! FAHHHRRRRR BUTCH, I MEAN PRUUIIIIOTTTTTT”

In the pirate's illustrious career he has exactly

Wait for it

Zero championships

3 national championship say otherwise
You apparently missed the qualifier. He was an assistant to already successful coaches, everywhere he’s been. They’ve had no fall-off without him. Successful programs plug and play coordinators.

Jimbo Fisher brought him in for one year and they win the NC.
That team won predominantly on offense. Again....successful programs plug and play coordinators. Pruitt was a very successful DC, he’s a poor head coach.

You’re what you’re record is.

I do yes...and there is no need to name call. We’re just talking sports and may have differing opinions.

I’m quite certain mama led you to believe your opinion is best, but it may not always be.

Mom also taught me how to see both sides of an argument. And if you think Leach would have fared much better his first 3 seasons here then my mom nor anyone's mom can help you.

Exhibit A giving up 50 at home in the 2nd half last night. Lol

Reactions: AM64
That team won predominantly on offense. Again....successful programs plug and play coordinators. Pruitt was a very successful DC, he’s a poor head coach.

You’re what you’re record is.

Jalen Ramsey says hello. Nice try. It is amazing your ignorance in trying to push your narrative

In the pirate's illustrious career he has exactly

Wait for it

Zero championships

Has anyone ever won a championship at Texas Tech or Wash State? HELL NO.

I am not sure why you continue to $hitlip Leach. He's has more wins with less talent than any other college football coach. He's taken two of the worst jobs in the NCAA FBS and won there. Leach is an offensive genius who has invented a nearly unstoppable system.

Since you think you know so much about coaching, who do you think should be UT's HC?

VN Store

Back