Wonder If Josh Dobbs will pack it in?

Best thing for Josh is that I believe he has now qualified for his NFLPA pension, not to mention that under league salary scale he has been making some pretty good money.

I've always thought Josh is probably a game not practice player. His skill is in bringing the ball down and running. First off that's not Pitt. He would probably have done better someplace like Baltimore (who doesn't need him but I use them as a style of offense example) that works the QB run into the offense.

In practice they want you to run the play, not scramble. So he rarely gets to show how his skill set would work for them. And while he is accurate for a running QB, the NFL wants extreme accuracy and that's not Josh.

But he may hang around a couple of more years since a team can be sure he will be solid on the playbook and be ready to go. Probably spend most seasons on the practice squad which under the current labor agreement would pay a player who has been in league for more than 2 years a little over $252,000 versus the $900k+ cited above. So it makes the numbers less important but I will admit I don't know if practice squad players accrue service years to their pension plans.

Coaching, he would probably be great at it, but I think he will want to use that aviation expertise in field.

Reactions: VolDave53
An aerospace engineer from UT (entry level) would command maybe a 60K starting salary-depending on where in the country he works of course.. AEs have historically had the lowest entry salaries for engineers (saying you work for NASA is a big time flex/mic drop, but in the end that is still a government job with a government pay scale) . Bump that up a little as JD has done an internship. He also is a minor celebrity with the whole football thing so he can probably do some fan things and make some extra cash on weekends-autograph signings, etc..

He would make about that same amount as an entry level analyst in the NFL. Within a few years, he could work up to a position coach and double or triple his salary. After a few years of that,maybe he gets a coordinator gig. $1.5 million a year easily.

It will come down to what he wants to do-he has options. Personally, I would ride the football thing for all it is worth. If he sucks as an analyst/coach, he is smart enough to realize it pretty quick and can bounce to engineering rapidly.
Forget working for NASA.
SpaceX is where all the big and exciting things are happening but yeah working his way into some type of position coach

Reactions: LittleVol
An aerospace engineer from UT (entry level) would command maybe a 60K starting salary-depending on where in the country he works of course.. AEs have historically had the lowest entry salaries for engineers (saying you work for NASA is a big time flex/mic drop, but in the end that is still a government job with a government pay scale) . Bump that up a little as JD has done an internship. He also is a minor celebrity with the whole football thing so he can probably do some fan things and make some extra cash on weekends-autograph signings, etc..

He would make about that same amount as an entry level analyst in the NFL. Within a few years, he could work up to a position coach and double or triple his salary. After a few years of that,maybe he gets a coordinator gig. $1.5 million a year easily.

It will come down to what he wants to do-he has options. Personally, I would ride the football thing for all it is worth. If he sucks as an analyst/coach, he is smart enough to realize it pretty quick and can bounce to engineering rapidly.
He could work in sales and make easy money as well. Probably not the big money amount a coordinator makes but good money and easy lifestyle. Dobbs can pretty much do whatever he wants.

Long article today on Steelers options at QB. Not one mention of Josh as an alternative. Sorry to see that. He bailed Butch the tool out of his stupid coaching many times. Really smart guy, hope he has a great life after football.
I hope he finds a Coaching Career in football at the collegiate level of Pro if he chooses. Who knows he might be pacing the sidelines at Neyland Stadium on Saturdays one day.

Reactions: walkenvol
An aerospace engineer from UT (entry level) would command maybe a 60K starting salary-depending on where in the country he works of course..
Well, that's untrue unless aerospace engineers from UT make a lot less than Chemical Engineers from the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology starting out for companies like Cargill, Tyson, ADM, et al.

AEs have historically had the lowest entry salaries for engineers (saying you work for NASA is a big time flex/mic drop, but in the end that is still a government job with a government pay scale) . Bump that up a little as JD has done an internship. He also is a minor celebrity with the whole football thing so he can probably do some fan things and make some extra cash on weekends-autograph signings, etc..
I'm pretty sure that engineers working for aircraft companies in KS and MO do a good bit better than that too.

He should have income security even playing such a short time in the NFL. He can follow his passion. A lot of people don't have that option.

Don’t count him out of coaching. I know he has other skill sets but college and NFL coaches make the big $$$. Somebody will want his presence in a locker room.
I seem to remember Josh was a very good student too. Correct me if I'm wrong but thought he has a degree in Aero Space Engineering and thought he did an internship with NASA that included a job if and when we left football. If I'm right about this football coaching would be a come down.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
It sucks. Unless they can pry Jimmy G away from SF, then I would just stick with Rudolph or Haskins. Pass on Jameis, Mariota, Bridgewater, or Wentz. Aaron isn't leaving GB.

Hope to hit gold in the draft this year or next
Haskins is horrendous. He would have to improve just to get to bad. Any of the JAGs you list above would be light-years better than Haskins.

AGREE - I work for a med device company and we are offering Biomedical Engineers (regardless of school) around 70K to 80K a year starting salary.
QUICKLY rolling that up to 95-ish within 4 to 5 years.

Also, that is base salary with out 401(k) match, consistent bonus program paying out 6 to 8% each year, and other bene's.

As someone else pointed out too though, Dobbs has been in the League for several years and made ok money - I bet he's smart enough that he's invested that wisely.
In other words, he is in a good spot to chase his dreams...whether it be coaching or engineering.

I seem to remember Josh was a very good student too. Correct me if I'm wrong but thought he has a degree in Aero Space Engineering and thought he did an internship with NASA that included a job if and when we left football. If I'm right about this football coaching would be a come down.
Depends on where he’s coaching. Some coaches earn way more than the typical engineer.

Well, that's untrue unless aerospace engineers from UT make a lot less than Chemical Engineers from the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology starting out for companies like Cargill, Tyson, ADM, et al.

I'm pretty sure that engineers working for aircraft companies in KS and MO do a good bit better than that too.

I majored in Chem E for my first undergrad. Once again, there are a lot of variables involved but as a general rule someone coming out with a Chem E degree can expect a roughly 30 percent premium over that of someone with an AE degree entering the job force.

There are simply different skill sets involved.

Aerospace engineering curriculum is basically physics on steroids.

Chemical engineering is basically mechanical engineering on steroids.

Who do you think is gonna get paid more to start, a bulked up physics major or a bulked up mechanical engineer? Once again, not in any way belittling aerospace guys.

Anybody who earns an honest to God engineering degree has my immediate respect-no matter if it is from MIT or the, ahem-South Dakota School of Mines and Technology.

Side note, people co-opting the title engineer is one of those things which gets me hot under the collar. About 10-15 years ago, it became very trendy for salespeople to call themselves sales engineers. You have any idea how many salesmen I have interviewed for jobs who tried that garbage? Spent most of the interviews mocking them and examining their resumes far more closely than they would have preferred or than I would have in almost any other case. Never hired a one of them LOL.

After 3-5 years of job experience, in the end none of it matters. Your rise through the ranks is on you and your abilities. Your major only gets you in the door and can make you "comfortable" while other fresh grads are having to grind it out.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I love the new way of thinking. “I’m in the prime of my life, maybe I will just pack it in”

He could work in sales and make easy money as well. Probably not the big money amount a coordinator makes but good money and easy lifestyle. Dobbs can pretty much do whatever he wants.
I’d buy a car from Josh Dobbs Toyota

Brady un-retires and plays for the 49er's
Jimmy G goes to Pittsburgh.

Book it!

Imagine being a Steelers fan and hearing your GM endorsing Mason Rudolph as the starter. That’s gotta be tough to take.

Not really, as stated previously Dobbs will make his money one way or another. It’s always good to have options and the best one isn’t always football.

VN Store

Back