Wonder If Josh Dobbs will pack it in?

If you start out in your early 20s and work 6-7 years making NFL money and invest wisely (don’t get drawn into the stupid gimmick, get rich schemes some pro athletes do with their earnings or think they need to own a fleet of luxury cars etc…) then you are pretty well set for life. I imagine Dobbs has banked most of his earnings. He will be free to do whatever he wants when his QB gig ends and not be as concerned about chasing the dollar so much whether that is coaching or wanting to pursue a career in engineering.

Yep he would make more money in coaching but it is also a grind moving your family every 2-3 years on average, and working crazy hours of 70+ a week at times. Coaching definitely comes at a high cost.

If you start out in your early 20s and work 6-7 years making NFL money and invest wisely (don’t get drawn into the stupid gimmick, get rich schemes some pro athletes do with their earnings or think they need to own a fleet of luxury cars etc…) then you are pretty well set for life. I imagine Dobbs has banked most of his earnings. He will be free to do whatever he wants when his QB gig ends and not be as concerned about chasing the dollar so much whether that is coaching or wanting to pursue a career in engineering.

Yep he would make more money in coaching but it is also a grind moving your family every 2-3 years on average, and working crazy hours of 70+ a week at times. Coaching definitely comes at a high cost.
I see a consulting firm owner gig in his future.

Reactions: kcvols1
Well, that's untrue unless aerospace engineers from UT make a lot less than Chemical Engineers from the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology starting out for companies like Cargill, Tyson, ADM, et al.
I'm pretty sure that engineers working for aircraft companies in KS and MO do a good bit better than that too.
He should have income security even playing such a short time in the NFL. He can follow his passion. A lot of people don't have that option.

I've been out of the sandbox (utilities) a few years now but a decade ago our entry level engineers in most disciplines were coming in in mid eighties and getting into six figure in two years. I'd be surprised if Josh couldn't be right around six figures as a starting salary when he decides to pursue engineering full time.

VN Store

Back