Wonder If Josh Dobbs will pack it in?

Long article today on Steelers options at QB. Not one mention of Josh as an alternative. Sorry to see that. He bailed Butch the tool out of his stupid coaching many times. Really smart guy, hope he has a great life after football.
Don’t count him out of coaching. I know he has other skill sets but college and NFL coaches make the big $$$. Somebody will want his presence in a locker room.

Getting hurt the last preseason game in a way saved him because it let them put him on IR the whole season. I guess he might have been put on the practice squad. He was kept mostly because of his ability to see things and tell BR about it. So if he wants I'm sure he could get into coaching.

Imagine being a Steelers fan and hearing your GM endorsing Mason Rudolph as the starter. That’s gotta be tough to take.

It sucks. Unless they can pry Jimmy G away from SF, then I would just stick with Rudolph or Haskins. Pass on Jameis, Mariota, Bridgewater, or Wentz. Aaron isn't leaving GB.

Hope to hit gold in the draft this year or next

It sucks. Unless they can pry Jimmy G away from SF, then I would just stick with Rudolph or Haskins. Pass on Jameis, Mariota, Bridgewater, or Wentz. Aaron isn't leaving GB.

Won’t need to pry that hard, think he can be had for a second or third at most. I think reports about a possible first round pick are likely from the 49ers, don’t think we’ll get that much for him. Good fit for Pittsburgh though

I think he will land somewhere as a backup if he elects to continue his NFL career. I don’t recall but assume he makes at least $500k a year. Plus, he will receive a pension if he is in the league for a certain number of years.

As a Steelers fan, I would draft to fill other needs and address QB 2023 draft. If there is a cheap free agent QB then so be it but stay away from Mariotta, etc.

Reactions: vols 30

Wentz has 9 lives. I don’t see it but time will tell if another NFL team takes a chance if Colts let him walk. I don’t want him in the Burgh.

I may end up being wrong, but I don’t see any gold at the QB position in this years draft. Hell, the best QB in Pittsburgh this past season might’ve been Pickett, but I don’t think he’s gonna be a superstar . Maybe Kirk Cousins.

Reactions: WBO and vols 30
Why not use that degree?

An aerospace engineer from UT (entry level) would command maybe a 60K starting salary-depending on where in the country he works of course.. AEs have historically had the lowest entry salaries for engineers (saying you work for NASA is a big time flex/mic drop, but in the end that is still a government job with a government pay scale) . Bump that up a little as JD has done an internship. He also is a minor celebrity with the whole football thing so he can probably do some fan things and make some extra cash on weekends-autograph signings, etc..

He would make about that same amount as an entry level analyst in the NFL. Within a few years, he could work up to a position coach and double or triple his salary. After a few years of that,maybe he gets a coordinator gig. $1.5 million a year easily.

It will come down to what he wants to do-he has options. Personally, I would ride the football thing for all it is worth. If he sucks as an analyst/coach, he is smart enough to realize it pretty quick and can bounce to engineering rapidly.

An aerospace engineer from UT (entry level) would command maybe a 60K starting salary-depending on where in the country he works of course.. AEs have historically had the lowest entry salaries for engineers (saying you work for NASA is a big time flex/mic drop, but in the end that is still a government job with a government pay scale) . Bump that up a little as JD has done an internship. He also is a minor celebrity with the whole football thing so he can probably do some fan things and make some extra cash on weekends-autograph signings, etc..

He would make about that same amount as an entry level analyst in the NFL. Within a few years, he could work up to a position coach and double or triple his salary. After a few years of that,maybe he gets a coordinator gig. $1.5 million a year easily.

It will come down to what he wants to do-he has options. Personally, I would ride the football thing for all it is worth. If he sucks as an analyst/coach, he is smart enough to realize it pretty quick and can bounce to engineering rapidly.
What you said

Indeed. I look at it like this: The AE degree will not go away. . . . the opportunity to thrive in the NFL is a rose best picked in the Spring.

Why not use that degree?
I think there's about a million reasons to stay in the NFL. He's not earning that as an engineer.

If he hadn't been hurt in the preseason allowing him to spend the season on IR, I don't think the Steelers would have kept him. With Roethlisberger gone, I don't see him be resigned by the Steelers.

But considering he really hasn't shown much NFL level talent on the field, what franchise will be willing to pay the league minimum of $990k for a 6th year backup QB? He may be priced out of the league at this point.

Reactions: vettefool
As most of you probably know, Big Ben was his biggest fan in Pitt. It was reported that he'd often watch film with the OC and then turn and say "what to you think Josh" or "hey Josh, what do you see with this formation"

Supposedly Ben though of him as a semi-assiatant coach. Now that Ben's gone, Josh may be too but my guess is he lands on a roster somewhere.

Players are vested in the retirement plan after 3 seasons and the number of retirement payment credits goes up with every season you can stay in the league. You can also contribute to the NFL annuity plan and a 401k. I'd bet Josh has a plan for the future that involves taking full advantage of all theses programs.

Why not use that degree?

He makes faster money in the NFL. AND, he can apply that degree later after taking 3-4 refresher courses and make lesser but still big bucks. The Dobb is smarter in ways many never thought about.

Last edited:
Reactions: kcvols1

VN Store

Back