Wonder If Josh Dobbs will pack it in?

Dobbs quickly became a favorite player of mine. Very high integrity, and a great player to boot. Not often do you get to see a player come through that has his elite athleticism and elite intelligence. That is a fact. I got to meet him a few years ago when he was at a local church. He gave a great speech and several kids dedicated their lives to Christ that evening. Forever a Dobbs fan! He will be highly successful in whatever he decides to do. He also will have a decent pension from the NFL because of the years he spent on a roster.

I majored in Chem E for my first undergrad. Once again, there are a lot of variables involved but as a general rule someone coming out with a Chem E degree can expect a roughly 30 percent premium over that of someone with an AE degree entering the job force.

There are simply different skill sets involved.

Aerospace engineering curriculum is basically physics on steroids.

Chemical engineering is basically mechanical engineering on steroids.

Who do you think is gonna get paid more to start, a bulked up physics major or a bulked up mechanical engineer? Once again, not in any way belittling aerospace guys.

Anybody who earns an honest to God engineering degree has my immediate respect-no matter if it is from MIT or the, ahem-South Dakota School of Mines and Technology.

Side note, people co-opting the title engineer is one of those things which gets me hot under the collar. About 10-15 years ago, it became very trendy for salespeople to call themselves sales engineers. You have any idea how many salesmen I have interviewed for jobs who tried that garbage? Spent most of the interviews mocking them and examining their resumes far more closely than they would have preferred or than I would have in almost any other case. Never hired a one of them LOL.

After 3-5 years of job experience, in the end none of it matters. Your rise through the ranks is on you and your abilities. Your major only gets you in the door and can make you "comfortable" while other fresh grads are having to grind it out.
I've worked for a couple of companies that hire engineers as sales intentionally.

I'll ask again when I get a chance. If I am not mistaken, there are guys with my son's tech specialty in the Air Force who have joined aircraft companies with 5-8 years experience who got more than $60,000. He's a propulsion mechanic on the B-2 bomber. That's possible based on demand... just difficult to believe. For that matter, I have guys in my control room with under 3 years experience in our industry and no post HS education making close to that much. I have a friend who owns a business laying fiber. I think his guys after about 2 years make $25/hr or more. I guess that points to some Mike Rowe wisdom....

Not questioning your honesty at all. Just shocking if the entry pay is that low for someone with an engineering degree.

Long article today on Steelers options at QB. Not one mention of Josh as an alternative. Sorry to see that. He bailed Butch the tool out of his stupid coaching many times. Really smart guy, hope he has a great life after football.
Nasa time

Yea not worried about Dobbs. In fact he's probably the one vol I wouldn't even consider not having a future after football considering he's an astronaut and all that. Pretty sure that dude will be flying around high above us for many years to come.

Welcome to Volnation....where folks feel qualified to tell aerospace engineer who graduated with honors and plays professional football, whats best for Him. Un-f-ing believable.
steve-marting.gif

Dobbs will be fine and successful no matter what he decides to do after his playing days are over.

As a Steelers fan I truly feel bringing in Haskins was the nail in the coffin and a mistake. I genuinely wonder what aspect of Haskins game is better than Dobbs. The short answer is none of the imo.

As a Steelers fan I truly feel bringing in Haskins was the nail in the coffin and a mistake. I genuinely wonder what aspect of Haskins game is better than Dobbs. The short answer is none of the imo.
What did it matter last year? Dobbs was on IR the entire regular season and Haskins actually made less than Dobbs. They split some practice and preseason time but that's all. Haskins probably won't amount to anything but how did his presence hurt Dobbs?

I seem to remember Josh was a very good student too. Correct me if I'm wrong but thought he has a degree in Aero Space Engineering and thought he did an internship with NASA that included a job if and when we left football. If I'm right about this football coaching would be a come down.
He wants to help colonize Mars.

I believe he will.

Welcome to Volnation....where folks feel qualified to tell aerospace engineer who graduated with honors and plays professional football, whats best for Him. Un-f-ing believable.
Completely believable.

How long have you been here? 😂

Volnation isn’t afraid to decide the fate of entire countries much less one man’s future career path.

If Dobbs is soliciting advice from VN, I’d steer him towards coaching and away from corporate America. The excitement and competitive nature in sports is difficult to wean yourself from. Also, the chance to positively impact young men. Plus the pay for the top coaches has become insane and the positions have way surpassed good candidates (Dooley, Jones, Pruitt to name a few). He’ll be successful whatever his choice.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
What did it matter last year? Dobbs was on IR the entire regular season and Haskins actually made less than Dobbs. They split some practice and preseason time but that's all. Haskins probably won't amount to anything but how did his presence hurt Dobbs?
What it mattered is a lot of teams carry only 2 QBs on their roster. You don’t get a 3rd string that was a top 15 draft pick in the last few years as a short term fix. You get a Band Aid. It was very telling that he was the Qb they went after

Career backups and earnings:

Blane Gabbert $23.7 M
A.J. McCarron $15.6 M
Chase Daniel $38.9 M
Coly McCoy $20.5 M
NATE PETERMAN $4.7 M and still working!
TYLER BRAY $4.4 M and still working!

Josh Dobbs $4.1 M Free agent

I see Dobbs being a very serviceable backup QB that brings unmeasurable value to the QB room. Remember, Big Ben was Dobb's biggest fan for how he helped his game. He can use that degree in another 10 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
That was not meant as a slight to Dobbs. As I believe he will reach much greater heights outside of the NFL.
I pretty much agree with you.

I do think he had the competitive ability to get a little better.

I guess you're right though. He could never master the practice part of football. Strange considering what he will be doing outside of football in the future.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I pretty much agree with you.

I do think he had the competitive ability to get a little better.

I guess you're right though. He could never master the practice part of football. Strange considering what he will be doing outside of football in the future.

I always wondered something about Dobbs. His degree at UT was a demanding one that required many hours in the books. I am sure it took a lot of his time and attention. I wonder if maybe he cared more about his degree than he did about football. Again, absolutely no slight to him. But I suspect his studies took more of his attention. If what I suspect is true, then I wonder what kind of player he truly could have been had he put the vast majority is his attention to football.

Reactions: LittleVol
Meh.
Debatable.

However, his true calling card is pushing humanity towards stars. The kid has the full "pie" decimal number memorized...
Not sure what "full" pi means since it has an infinite number of decimal places

Reactions: GAVol
Th
What it mattered is a lot of teams carry only 2 QBs on their roster. You don’t get a 3rd string that was a top 15 draft pick in the last few years as a short term fix. You get a Band Aid. It was very telling that he was the Qb they went after
The Steelers have carried 3 QBs on the roster for decades. They're not going into a season with 2 regardless of who they are.

I've worked for a couple of companies that hire engineers as sales intentionally.

I'll ask again when I get a chance. If I am not mistaken, there are guys with my son's tech specialty in the Air Force who have joined aircraft companies with 5-8 years experience who got more than $60,000. He's a propulsion mechanic on the B-2 bomber. That's possible based on demand... just difficult to believe. For that matter, I have guys in my control room with under 3 years experience in our industry and no post HS education making close to that much. I have a friend who owns a business laying fiber. I think his guys after about 2 years make $25/hr or more. I guess that points to some Mike Rowe wisdom....

Not questioning your honesty at all. Just shocking if the entry pay is that low for someone with an engineering degree.

To put things into perspective, when I graduated the first time (late 90's) from GT and were beginning the interview process, we were given the average job offers for the previous years class as a tool to use in our negotiations. Mind you, this would have been job offers that were as a result of on campus interviews arranged via career services. Of course, some beat the bushes and got jobs without the school being involved, so their starting salaries would not be reflected so those could have been higher (or lower).
For AEs, average starting salary was around $37K.
ChemEs, average starting salary was around $47 K
MEs and EEs would have been around $45K
IEs and CivEs about $42K
For some reason I also remember textile engineers being way low, like $32K or something like thar

I exceeded the average by one or two grand and my other graduating buddies thought I was Scrooge McDuck.

You can look at inflation charts and pretty much go from there.

Also FYI I have been out of the " salary game" for about 4-5 years so things could have changed. Lord knows they have a habit of doing so. I can only speak intelligently for the period between maybe 1998 and 2017 or so.

You (or another poster) also brought up SpaceX, etc and you have a very valid point there. Perhaps that spiked the need for AEs and salaries as a result. On the other hand, I am familiar enough with the business dealings of Elon Musk (and Jeff Bezos) to know that they in most cases pay pennies on the dollar and work you to death. They sell entry level folks on the dream of working on the cutting edge, as long as you are not particularly concerned with the size of your check or having a life outside work. Now, if you survive and advance within those organizations-then yes, you can make a boatload of cash. Spoiler-most don't make it and burn out pretty quickly and get as far away as they can for their next job opportunity as they want to have, you know-a life..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220222-204700.png
    Screenshot_20220222-204700.png
    217 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I always wondered something about Dobbs. His degree at UT was a demanding one that required many hours in the books. I am sure it took a lot of his time and attention. I wonder if maybe he cared more about his degree than he did about football. Again, absolutely no slight to him. But I suspect his studies took more of his attention. If what I suspect is true, then I wonder what kind of player he truly could have been had he put the vast majority is his attention to football.

Yeah there's something to that.
When he lost to South Carolina and Jake Bentley at QB (17 years old and still in College now?) He alluded to just what you are talking about.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

VN Store

Back