Wiseman ineligible

Playing James Wiseman in defiance of the NCAA was foolish and risky because it A) almost certainly wouldn't work out in Memphis' favor, and B) could expose the program to additional penalties. And now here we are. If Memphis would've just done what every other school does when faced with a similar situation, Wiseman, it's now clear as day, would've served a nine-game suspension and returned in time for the Tigers' showdown with Tennessee on Dec. 14. But now, because Memphis didn't do what every other school does when faced with a similar situation, Wiseman will serve a 12-game suspension,
Teacher: So kids, what did we learn today?

Students: Do not spit in the face of the NCAA as it relates to eligibility surrounding amateurism.

As I said from the start, taking this to court was foolish, the decision to defiantly play him was even more foolish, and the idea that Wiseman and his lawyers could strong-arm the NCAA without expectation of a more severe punishment for both Wiseman and Memphis after defying them, was foolish.

Plavsic isn’t a “one and done”, he would also probably be behind Fulk anyway.

No need to risk anything for a player who probably isn’t going to start (right now) and who will be here next year anyway.

I keep trying to get this across to people.
He's a nice to have at this point and we are still appealing.
4 years under Barnes and he'll likely make money playing basketball

Reactions: JoAllan
U think he is paying this. Boosters💰💰

The radio actually explained the payback agreements this morning. The players have to sign a note that it's paid back over a period of time, and they can make payments. So, in Wiseman's case, it can be paid back right after his last college game.

The radio actually explained the payback agreements this morning. The players have to sign a note that it's paid back over a period of time, and they can make payments. So, in Wiseman's case, it can be paid back right after his last college game.

Or simply with part of his signing bonus.

Playing James Wiseman in defiance of the NCAA was foolish and risky because it A) almost certainly wouldn't work out in Memphis' favor, and B) could expose the program to additional penalties. And now here we are. If Memphis would've just done what every other school does when faced with a similar situation, Wiseman, it's now clear as day, would've served a nine-game suspension and returned in time for the Tigers' showdown with Tennessee on Dec. 14. But now, because Memphis didn't do what every other school does when faced with a similar situation, Wiseman will serve a 12-game suspension,
And they're still whining about how the school got screwed.

Honestly, what is the "or else" on this if he says pound sand at that time? What leverage does the NCAA have on him once he's gone pro to make him give money to a charity? Seems far fetched and, agree with Brando, the optics aren't the best. Maybe I'm missing something that you can explain.

Honestly, what is the "or else" on this if he says pound sand at that time? What leverage does the NCAA have on him once he's gone pro to make him give money to a charity? Seems far fetched and, agree with Brando, the optics aren't the best. Maybe I'm missing something that you can explain.
Seems to be no leverage.

I assume they add it to the list they’re going to hammer the university with. No leverage on James

If I were Wiseman I'd tell the NCAA to F.O. regarding paying out of his pocket. Then I'd go get an agent and start training for the draft.

meh, as a Memphis fan this is still WAY better than wasting away under Tubby Smith who is currently 0-7 at High Point. [/shrug]

worst case, Wiseman sits all 12 games...best case, NCAA reduces it to 9 games since we played him under a TRO as a defendant while being sued. Either way we get him for most the AAC schedule, the AAC tourney, and NCAA tourney, which is when we really need him.

he'll pay the 11,500 back after he signs his NBA contract. Good Luck til we meet in Knox-vegas

meh, as a Memphis fan this is still WAY better than wasting away under Tubby Smith who is currently 0-7 at High Point. [/shrug]

worst case, Wiseman sits all 12 games...best case, NCAA reduces it to 9 games since we played him under a TRO as a defendant while being sued. Either way we get him for most the AAC schedule, the AAC tourney, and NCAA tourney, which is when we really need him.

he'll pay the 11,500 back after he signs his NBA contract. Good Luck til we meet in Knox-vegas
Two things...

1. Slim, to no chance that suspension is reduced, and the TRO is to blame for that, not the other way around. The NCAA doesn't take kindly to having their authority challenged.

2. You better hope he pays it back before he signs his NBA contract because in order to comply with the NCAA, he must have it repaid by the end of his eligibility...
Screenshot_20191124-131156_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: cardvolfan
^ as Seth Greenberg said he'll do a payment plan and he only has to make the first payment to be re-eligible...worry about the balance after you sign a NBA contract. He'll make the first payment off his Pell Grant anyway.

as for the rest the NCAA should have told him back in May (when they cleared him) that he was ineligible so James could go sign a G-League or Euro contract worth 100-150k and just skipped college. That's why I don't blame Wiseman for suing the NCAA and the UofM...[folks seem to think Memphis sued the NCAA...nope] They told him he could play and changed their mind 2 hours before our first game with no new evidence. That flip-flop cost him potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars...I'd sue too.

Wiseman sued the NCAA and Memphis gaining a TRO restraining Memphis from deeming him ineligible. We couldn't hold him out based on the NCAA decision.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
So basically he does not have to pay it back. I mean if it's after his last college game and he refuses what can the NCAA do to him at that point? Even if it could retaliate on the school since the kid would no longer be a player a booster could literally hand him the money at that point.

edit:nvm read the actual rule

Last edited:
Reactions: cardvolfan
Wiseman is getting screwed, Memphis still has a solid team without him.
When that amount of money is given to a prospect's family, and the trail almost absolutely leads back to incentivizing to come to said school, that is against NCAA rules, period. You can whine, make excuses, cry foul, or anything else. The NCAA disagrees with your situation. Not everyone HAS to play by the rules, but those that don't, often pay the price. If you think that the NCAA just suddenly, 2 hours before a game, "changed their mind" without any valid reasons, I've got some swamp land in Florida I'll sell to you at a real good price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franklin Pierce

VN Store

Back