Wiseman ineligible

See the Gary Parish article for a common sense take on the situation
yep...
Gary Parrish article

I think Gary might be talking to someone in this very thread...
"And, please, don't let anybody trick you into thinking Memphis had "no choice" but to play Wiseman in those first three games after he, as the argument goes, "obtained a temporary restraining order against the NCAA and Memphis." First, no restraining order existed during the season-opener when Memphis allowed Wiseman to play after the school was informed of the eligibility issue. So the temporary-restraining-order argument doesn't even make sense. But, beyond that, all a temporary restraining order could do is prevent Memphis from ruling Wiseman ineligible; it could not force Memphis to play him. No judge can set the Tigers' starting lineup. No judge can tell Memphis whom to put on a court.

So Memphis did this to itself."

Reactions: cncchris33
Every point of contention by Memphis supporters is literally obliterated in a very reasonable, informative article. As a side note, through all the conversation on this controversy, I have run across 2 Memphis fans who admitted guilt and saw the folly of Memphis' decisions, so kudos to them.

yep...
Gary Parrish article

I think Gary might be talking to someone in this very thread...
"And, please, don't let anybody trick you into thinking Memphis had "no choice" but to play Wiseman in those first three games after he, as the argument goes, "obtained a temporary restraining order against the NCAA and Memphis." First, no restraining order existed during the season-opener when Memphis allowed Wiseman to play after the school was informed of the eligibility issue. So the temporary-restraining-order argument doesn't even make sense. But, beyond that, all a temporary restraining order could do is prevent Memphis from ruling Wiseman ineligible; it could not force Memphis to play him. No judge can set the Tigers' starting lineup. No judge can tell Memphis whom to put on a court.

So Memphis did this to itself."
Hmmm...that argument sounds awfully familiar.

So, if it’s all about doing the right thing for James Wiseman, the NCAA should allow him to immediately transfer to any other school and receive immediate eligibility. How’s that sound to Memphis fans?

You guys may as well give up the ghost in trying to argue this case with a Memphis fan who is inevitably going to struggle viewing this without a slanted perspective.

As has been stated, the poster would have a much different opinion on the matter if Wiseman had gone to Kentucky and this was taking place. Clearly, the NCAA was presented with new evidence in the matter to cause them to retroactively call into question Wiseman’s eligibility. They didn’t just arbitrarily decide to deem him ineligible without cause.

Wiseman and Memphis tried to strong arm the NCAA and it backfired, plain and simple, and Memphis will likely suffer the consequences for it at some point.

As UT fans, the same can be reversed too. We would all be pissed if a player was deemed eligible for 5 months and then deemed ineligible several days before the first game. Maybe not you, Chris, but I can only imagine what would be on this board.

I was fine with the suit because of the inconsistent positions that the NCAA takes. We are dealing with that with Uros (and yes, I understand the circumstances are different). I was fine with Bruce Pearl filing a lawsuit, but he chose not to, and I’m guessing he might have had some more skeletons in the closet at a deposition. Jackie Sherrill just received a settlement on his suit after like 12 years. The NCAA paid up.

I understand following rules, and I am actually a pretty conservative person that doesn’t like bending rules. But there are some situations that call for standing up for yourself, especially how the NCAA does their business. While Wiseman gets 12, I do think this situation won’t be forgotten when something else happens. JMO.

Wrong is wrong......just no way around that. You don't have to drive at the speed limit, but speeding is speeding. The Parrish article is the most sensible response to all this. As a Tennessee fan, if this had happened to one of our players, then he would need to sit as appropriate, and, the university would need to, and would, in my opinion accept the punishment. The world has gotten to the point that people don't want to accept responsibility, or want to play the blame game. Everyone is against us mentality is all too commonplace.

As UT fans, the same can be reversed too. We would all be pissed if a player was deemed eligible for 5 months and then deemed ineligible several days before the first game. Maybe not you, Chris, but I can only imagine what would be on this board.

I was fine with the suit because of the inconsistent positions that the NCAA takes. We are dealing with that with Uros (and yes, I understand the circumstances are different). I was fine with Bruce Pearl filing a lawsuit, but he chose not to, and I’m guessing he might have had some more skeletons in the closet at a deposition. Jackie Sherrill just received a settlement on his suit after like 12 years. The NCAA paid up.

I understand following rules, and I am actually a pretty conservative person that doesn’t like bending rules. But there are some situations that call for standing up for yourself, especially how the NCAA does their business. While Wiseman gets 12, I do think this situation won’t be forgotten when something else happens. JMO.
That’s fine, and I know you to be a pretty level-headed guy. I just think it’s a little disingenuous of Memphis fans to pick and choose which writers are suddenly credible based on which narrative they’re pushing. And the idea that they just want what’s best for James Wiseman, and for the NCAA to do the right thing, is a joke, IMO. Like I said, if the best thing for James was for the NCAA to release him to any other school of his choosing with no penalty and immediate eligibility, I’m sure UofM fans would change their tune real quick.

As for my attitude if this or something similar happened at Tennessee, would I be upset for myself and Tennessee fans? Sure I would. Would I support Tennessee and said player defiantly spitting in the NCAA’s face with no regard for future ramifications? Absolutely not. If Rick Barnes trotted Plavsic our there tonight to play against Chattanooga under the flimsy protection of a temporary restraining order, I’d call him an idiot for doing so.

Wrong is wrong......just no way around that. You don't have to drive at the speed limit, but speeding is speeding. The Parrish article is the most sensible response to all this. As a Tennessee fan, if this had happened to one of our players, then he would need to sit as appropriate, and, the university would need to, and would, in my opinion accept the punishment. The world has gotten to the point that people don't want to accept responsibility, or want to play the blame game. Everyone is against us mentality is all too commonplace.

Not necessarily. My client gets caught with drugs but they violated his constitutional rights by searching his vehicle. Technically, he was wrong. Can’t debate that. But the effect is that his case gets dismissed for the violation.

Or, the state holds back a charge and then commences the process after the statute of limitations. Again, what he did was wrong, but the process was done incorrectly.

Certainly, please don’t construe me as comparing a constitutional right to that of an NCAA process. But sometimes, they are rather so inconsistent in what they are doing that they have to be called out for it. Maybe Memphis did go about i the wrong way and should have just started a campaign. I don’t know, but I am not necessarily commenting on the merits. I am commenting on their bureaucratic BS.

Memphis fans turning on GP because he told y'all exactly what was going to happen has been hilarious to follow.

But hey, at least Jason and John got your hopes up.

I would say it's more like I turned Gary off my radio dial years ago...I can only take so much of that giggling girl voice of his.

I don't listen to sports radio anymore...too much like political radio. yuck.

you guys can peacock strut all you like but I'm down with having Wiseman half the season plus the AAC/NCAA tourney. Works for me.

Someone has to be punished. Pretending this never happened and just moving forward is quite an insensible solution, actually.

that's the problem...the one punished is an 18 yo kid who way past transferring to another school...BUT...he could have signed a G-League or Euro deal in May if the NCAA had been straight up with him.

he's the only loser in the deal.

that's the problem...the one punished is an 18 yo kid who way past transferring to another school...BUT...he could have signed a G-League or Euro deal in May if the NCAA had been straight up with him.

he's the only loser in the deal.
Stay tuned. I can just about guarantee you he won't be the only loser when the NCAA Committee on Infractions comes knocking.

And please stop with this narrative that the NCAA just arbitrarily decided two days before the first game to go back on their ruling without good reason. They were obviously presented with additional information that called his eligibility into question. This wasn't some pre-planned, targeted attack by the NCAA on James Wiseman. If you really believe that, I want to sell you things.

Stay tuned. I can just about guarantee you he won't be the only loser when the NCAA Committee on Infractions comes knocking.

And please stop with this narrative that the NCAA just arbitrarily decided two days before the first game to go back on their ruling without good reason. They were obviously presented with additional information that called his eligibility into question. This wasn't some pre-planned, targeted attack by the NCAA on James Wiseman. If you really believe that, I want to sell you things.

such as?

Not sure, but I do know it's pretty outlandish to believe the NCAA just has it out for James Wiseman. Do you collect tin foil?

I never said the NCAA has it out for Wiseman. I said he's the one that's getting screwed. Coaches and Universities lawyer up while the student-athlete is hung out to dry. It Sucks.

As I said, had the NCAA just told him in May he wasn't eligible he could have just gone on to the G-League or some Euro team for six figures. Instead the NCAA cleared him.

nothing changed between the end May and November.

I never said the NCAA has it out for Wiseman. I said he's the one that's getting screwed. Coaches and Universities lawyer up while the student-athlete is hung out to dry. It Sucks.

As I said, had the NCAA just told him in May he wasn't eligible he could have just gone on to the G-League or some Euro team for six figures. Instead the NCAA cleared him.

nothing changed between the end May and November.
I don't disagree that it sucks for Wiseman if he truly knew nothing about the payment, but obviously, the NCAA became aware of something in November that they weren't aware of in May. Nothing may have tangibly changed, but the information the NCAA had at their disposable must have. I just don't understand why that is so hard to comprehend.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
I don't disagree that it sucks for Wiseman if he truly knew nothing about the payment, but obviously, the NCAA became aware of something in November that they weren't aware of in May. Nothing may have tangibly changed, but the information the NCAA had at their disposable must have. I just don't understand why that is so hard to comprehend.
Because its a Memphis fan. Logic and Comprehension are tossed out the window.

I get it that it sucks when it is your team thats affected, but jeez, they arent getting the argument.

VN Store

Back