Wiseman ineligible

They are definitely upset at him for playing, and those who claimed that wouldn’t make a difference in their ruling and his suspension length are eating crow. Also, this probably isn’t over as it pertains to Memphis. Wiseman’s punishment has some finality, but Memphis probably hasn’t heard the end of it from the NCAA.
They need to punish Penny more than Wiseman. IMO, it doesn't matter that he wasn't the Memphis coach at the time the money was given, he still effectively bought a player. That "loan" should have made it impermissible for him to recruit Wiseman to begin with IMO. Penny is playing fast and loose with the rules, and they need to hammer his ass.

no one really knows if he is a starter or back-up except the coaches

Anyone that understands basketball realizes the impact a versatile seven footer would have on a good team that has front court deficiencies.....especially if the team lacks size...

Reactions: minorvol
Anyone that understands basketball realizes the impact a versatile seven footer would have on a good team that has front court deficiencies.....especially if the team lacks size...
how do you know he’s a versatile 7 footer? Isn’t that what everyone was saying about Kent as well?

Reactions: sport3500
Why would we risk a Level 1 NCAA violation, recruiting restrictions, and a coach ban/suspension for a backup?

We will see what penalties Memphis/Penny get from it. If they actually get anything, it isn't worth it. If they skate, the NCAA is no longer worthy of listening too. At the time I wrote that the only announced penalty was the 12 game suspension.

how do you know he’s a versatile 7 footer? Isn’t that what everyone was saying about Kent as well?

Lol.....you obviously havent:

1) saw them personally to compare the size differential
2) observed Plavsic in open practices/preseason
3) understand how important its gonna be for our team to have a defensive presence/rim protector down low

Lol.....you obviously havent:

1) saw them personally to compare the size differential
2) observed Plavsic in open practices/preseason
3) understand how important its gonna be for our team to have a defensive presence/rim protector down low

Are you talking about the Rocky Top Tip-Off event for the "open practices/preaseason"?

Most reports were that he wouldn't be your typical rim protector anyways, so I don't even know what you are talking about. Fulkerson / Pons are both likely better rim protectors than he is at this stage.

You say he isn't a back-up? Who would he replace in the starting line-up? And is he worth risking serious trouble with the NCAA? In my opinion, most definitely not.

Are you talking about the Rocky Top Tip-Off event for the "open practices/preaseason"?

Most reports were that he wouldn't be your typical rim protector anyways, so I don't even know what you are talking about. Fulkerson / Pons are both likely better rim protectors than he is at this stage.

You say he isn't a back-up? Who would he replace in the starting line-up? And is he worth risking serious trouble with the NCAA? In my opinion, most definitely not.

He would without a doubt be a starter and a solid contributor......especially defensively....I know you're probably on cloud nine with our frontcourt performance so far, but it's gonna get real when we get in league play.....Hes a legit 7 ft guy with physicality.......To assert we're better without him is silly

He would without a doubt be a starter and a solid contributor......especially defensively....I know you're probably on cloud nine with our frontcourt performance so far, but it's gonna get real when we get in league play.....Hes a legit 7 ft guy with physicality.......To assert we're better without him is silly

It would certainly be nice to have Plavsic available, especially come conference time. However he isn’t/wasn’t going to, over take Fulk for the starting position this season.

It would certainly be nice to have Plavsic available, especially come conference time. However he isn’t/wasn’t going to, over take Fulk for the starting position this season.

Fulk is my favorite player on the team....He's worked extremely hard to get where hes at, but he'll struggle to guard some of the big guys with length when we stop playing cupcakes......PLEASE note, I'm not bashing Fulk...

Fulk is my favorite player on the team....He's worked extremely hard to get where hes at, but he'll struggle to guard some of the big guys with length when we stop playing cupcakes......PLEASE note, I'm not bashing Fulk...

Yea

I didn’t take it as you bashing him at all.

I just don’t think anyone is going to start over Fulk regardless......this season. But I’ve been known to be wrong on many occasions.

There aren’t many teams in the SEC who will give Tennessee “size” problems. Washington has the most size (over all) of anyone Tennessee has on their schedule.

Now don’t get me wrong there will be several teams that Tennessee will face who may have a size/skill advantage at that position. However I don’t think a redshirt freshman (new to this system) would be the definitive key to solving that......but again that’s just my thoughts.

We will see what penalties Memphis/Penny get from it. If they actually get anything, it isn't worth it. If they skate, the NCAA is no longer worthy of listening too. At the time I wrote that the only announced penalty was the 12 game suspension.

These two items remain (I've been harping on these 30 pages ago in this thread)

1. Will Memphis get a Level 1 investigation for knowingly playing an ineligible player?

2. Does Penny get in trouble for his NCAA compliance attestation that he was unaware of any rules violations in his program? (I.e. the Jim Tressel issue)

The second item has Memphis more worried than any suspension for Wiseman.

These two items remain (I've been harping on these 30 pages ago in this thread)

1. Will Memphis get a Level 1 investigation for knowingly playing an ineligible player?

2. Does Penny get in trouble for his NCAA compliance attestation that he was unaware of any rules violations in his program? (I.e. the Jim Tressel issue)

The second item has Memphis more worried than any suspension for Wiseman.
How could 1 and 2 above not happen?

How could 1 and 2 above not happen?

I think #1 will happen. Too many blue bloods (UK, Duke) are pushing for it. Personally, I think a multi-game suspension for Penny, some type of fine, recruiting restrictions, and vacating the first 2 wins will be the likely outcome if the NCAA pursues. I dont see a postseason ban or show cause for Penny unless....

The NCAA pursues #2. This gets tricky since Penny would have been aware of a major violation the first day on the job (a Memphis booster giving a recruitable student athlete $11.5K). If Memphis was forthcoming early in May (some debate there), the NCAA may overlook this although technically any and all attestations filed prior to that would not be 100% truthful.

This lawsuit was dropped quickly largely to keep the NCAA from digging in and going for #2 and mitigating the impact for #1.

And anyone who lacks the skills to see that losing Wiseman isn't a major impact for the hopes of a national stage that Memphis State burns hotly to ascend, doesn't have a clear eye for one-and-out talent and/or Memphis States insatiable hunger for recognition.

Playing James Wiseman in defiance of the NCAA was foolish and risky because it A) almost certainly wouldn't work out in Memphis' favor, and B) could expose the program to additional penalties. And now here we are. If Memphis would've just done what every other school does when faced with a similar situation, Wiseman, it's now clear as day, would've served a nine-game suspension and returned in time for the Tigers' showdown with Tennessee on Dec. 14. But now, because Memphis didn't do what every other school does when faced with a similar situation, Wiseman will serve a 12-game suspension,

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back