Will Rick Barnes get us to a Final 4

Final 4

• Yes

Votes: 60 19.5%
  • No

Votes: 248 80.5%

• Total voters
How’s that? The two point Loyola loss was in the round of 32. LU then beat Nevada by one point so it’s not like that was a guaranteed win.

You wiling to lay $100 to charity of choice with me saying Barnes never gets beyond Sweet Sixteen at TN.

And Kyle Alexander would have been back after the Loyola game.

What’s your charity of choice? Maybe I’ll send them $100 either way. Barnes supports Emerald Youth Foundation, so feel free to send them your $100.

And Kyle Alexander would have been back after the Loyola game.

What’s your charity of choice? Maybe I’ll send them $100 either way. Barnes supports Emerald Youth Foundation, so feel free to send them your $100.

I’ll never have to, but I might anyway.

There's no doubt that Rick's teams tend to underachieve in the post season. (Compared to the regular season, that is; so it's possible he overachieves in the regular season, then comes back to earth for the post season.) However, there is always the flukish element with regards to who makes it to the final four. It's why everyone's brackets tend to be so ugly by the end. One factor I miss with Pearl (and probably the only thing I miss with Pearl) is that he was a media darling and tended to be overseeded by the committee. Rick rarely gets that, and rarely gets a great draw. But many many times it comes down to a bad call or a bone headed play or somebody bricking a wide open shot or somebody else hitting a game winning three after going 0 for 9. Rick ends up on the wrong side of those things way more than most. And how many times can one guy run up against somebody making a historic run (Carmelo Anthony, Loyola, etc). So, to answer the question: keep getting into the mix, and anything's possible. There's usually a bit of ebb and flow to Rick's teams. Meaning, after the Grant, Admiral and Bone team there's a slight drop-off, then a resurgence. So, what I actually expect is one more solid run in the next few years.

Especially considering all 357 programs are known for quality basketball, right?😂

You keep believing in your boy Barnes.
George Mason made a final 4. So yeah, you have to consider that a lot of teams are in contention for it.

There's no doubt that Rick's teams tend to underachieve in the post season. (Compared to the regular season, that is; so it's possible he overachieves in the regular season, then comes back to earth for the post season.) However, there is always the flukish element with regards to who makes it to the final four. It's why everyone's brackets tend to be so ugly by the end. One factor I miss with Pearl (and probably the only thing I miss with Pearl) is that he was a media darling and tended to be overseeded by the committee. Rick rarely gets that, and rarely gets a great draw. But many many times it comes down to a bad call or a bone headed play or somebody bricking a wide open shot or somebody else hitting a game winning three after going 0 for 9. Rick ends up on the wrong side of those things way more than most. And how many times can one guy run up against somebody making a historic run (Carmelo Anthony, Loyola, etc). So, to answer the question: keep getting into the mix, and anything's possible. There's usually a bit of ebb and flow to Rick's teams. Meaning, after the Grant, Admiral and Bone team there's a slight drop-off, then a resurgence. So, what I actually expect is one more solid run in the next few years.

We've had the #1 seed out of our draw before the Sweet 16 two times in the last three tournaments. It couldn't have been any better from a path to the FF aspect.

I voted yes because I’m a hopeless die hard fan and can’t just give up all hope. Praying we catch a genie in the bottle next year. Just need a big man and let’s go.

Getting to a Final 4 is so hard it’s difficult to explain but here’s one:
Number of Final Fours in the last 5 years for these programs...
DUKE -0 Kentucky -0
KANSAS -1 Gonzaga -1
OHIO ST. -0
These schools have probably had more 5 ⭐️s in the last 5 years than anyone. I’d hazard to guess they’ve all had the best overall recruiting classes over the last 10 years.
It takes a lot of things to line up (chemistry, coaching, talent, breaks!) to make it. All it takes to knock you out is lucky shot, a few career games, several untimely injuries, and some terrible calls. I hope he gets to another one but the Loyola and Purdue bad beats may have been his best shot. I hope I’m very wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: papatomany
Two first time coaches this year in Final Four.
I wonder how UCLA feels now. They probably dont make this run with Barnes. Sure their regular season might have been slightly better. So maybe instead of 11 seed they could have been 8 or 9. But they just made a Final Four that had Coach Barnes accepted their job wouldn't have happened.

I wonder how UCLA feels now. They probably dont make this run with Barnes. Sure their regular season might have been slightly better. So maybe instead of 11 seed they could have been 8 or 9. But they just made a Final Four that had Coach Barnes accepted their job wouldn't have happened.
Why just make it about Barnes? There were 8-10 other coaches they had ahead of Cronin and a few that were ahead of Barnes too. Would any of those coaches have made it to the Final Four this year with that team? Nobody knows and it’s inaccurate to say otherwise

Idk, there's no reason to think Mick Cronin is some savant in the tourney. He made it past the first weekend once in 17 seasons as a head coach before this year, and never past the S16. Had a fortunate run this year

Reactions: papatomany
We've had the #1 seed out of our draw before the Sweet 16 two times in the last three tournaments. It couldn't have been any better from a path to the FF aspect.
Just wanted to toss you a quick thank you for totally ignoring the content of my post. One of the best things that happens on this board.

Idk, there's no reason to think Mick Cronin is some savant in the tourney. He made it past the first weekend once in 17 seasons as a head coach before this year, and never past the S16. Had a fortunate run this year
There it is. Barnes has just had an unlucky last 13 years.

VN Store

Back