Why not Mike Leach?

50-50 coach, losing record in conference games. About the only thing he has going for him is his record against Saban.

This guy took 3 years to break 50% and another 2 to get competitive. He would not last at UT.

Reactions: 1 person
I won't watch 52 to 48 ballgames. That's not football. I turn the channel before halftime with that air raid gimmick junk like that. Don't want any more spread offenses, either.

Has any coach at TTU or WSU had a top 15 recruiting class?

Is this "history of abusing players" that you mentioned the Adam James incident? The one that got him fired for cause, for which he sued TTU and the case was discharged (before any evidence was presented or arguments made) because the TX Supreme Court ruled that TTU had soverign immunity and couldn't be sued for damages?

What about Craig James? Did you see him on Gameday this morning? Or on Fox's college football coverage? You didn't because he's such an asshat that no network will have him.

Dismissed...

You are really trying hard to defend the pirate. Tell me the last time he won a conference? We dont need to replace junk with more junk at UT

I have searched back through various threads regarding possible replacements for CBJ. I have seen several who are very adamant about not wanting to hire Mike Leach. My question is why? He has won at high levels in the Big 12. His offenses were record breaking . His defense at Washington St. looks legit this year. He has been able to recruit to Washington St, which historically is a very hard sell. I know the circumstances behind his firing , but wasn't it proven to be basically a sham perpetrated by Craig James and his prima Dona son? Seems to me like he has served his rehabilitation stint and would at least be willing to listen to an offer from a big time SEC program.

:eek:lol:

He's tearing it up tonight. Whur you at???

Last edited:
You are really trying hard to defend the pirate. Tell me the last time he won a conference? We dont need to replace junk with more junk at UT

Here's my list IF I thought they'd come:

1. Gruden
2. Patterson
3. Peterson
4. Frost
5. Leach
6. Mullen
7. Kiffin
8. Venables

Josh McDaniels would be #2 - just saw his name in the Charles Davis thread. I'd put Cooter pretty high, too. But those are dreams almost as big as Gruden.

I don't want Memphis', Syracuse's, or anybody else that will Butch 2.0.

My question is what P5 conference winning coach will come here? Patterson signed an extension, Frost is going to FL or Neb. I don't think Mullen's going anywhere - he's got it made. The Big Money won't take Kiffie back.

I'm just trying to be realistic. Leach would jump at the job and is a lot better coach than most on here give credit. And he's got a chip on his shoulder to prove himself...which can be pretty powerful when you're a mensa type - which I guess him to be. Remember, Spurrier's '89 ACC title at Duke was a tie with Virginia. Talk about weak conferences (ACC was trash back then).

And speaking of Spurrier, I think Leach could be our evil genius.

I guess they told the team that he was leaving for tennessee which is why they are currently getting the heck beat out of them.

Washington announcers just said that some very influential boosters will be coming to look at Mike Leach. However they think that he's happy where he is. Most notably Arkansas in the Nebraska boosters

:eek:lol:

He's tearing it up tonight. Whur you at???

You can't make a realistic assessment on one woodshed whuppin'. I know the following is long, but read it. It'll give you the warm fuzzies...

Northwestern 19 – #11 Michigan State 17
October 18, 1997 · Ryan Field · Evanston, IL

...an unthinkable loss in Evanston. Saban was the head coach and the Spartans entered the game ranked 11th in the country riding a 5-0 record. Northwestern (2-5 entering the game) blocked a 28-yard field goal attempt on the final play of the game to secure the win for the Wildcats.

#20 Purdue 52 – #5 Michigan State 28
October 16, 1999 · Ross-Ade Stadium · West Lafayette, IN

That’s right: Nick Saban once gave up 52 points to Purdue. Purdue, for crying out loud! OK, Drew Brees was the Boilermakers’ quarterback in 1999, but still… 509 passing yards and 52 points surrendered by Saban’s defensive unit is indeed humiliating, especially considering that the Spartans entered the game as the fifth-ranked team in the country at 6-0.

Washington 51 – Michigan State 23
December 25, 1997 · Aloha Bowl, Aloha Stadium · Honolulu, HI

Down 38-17 in the third quarter of the Aloha Bowl, Michigan State was prepared to receive a punt that never came. Instead, Washington caught Nick Saban completely unprepared for a fake punt that went 64 yards for a touchdown. That effectively ended any chance that the Spartans had of making this a competitive game.

#1 Nebraska 55 – Michigan State 14
September 7, 1996 · Memorial Stadium · Lincoln, NE

For the second time in as many years (see #8 below), Nick Saban’s team got trounced by Nebraska, this time by a 41-point margin. (Arizona State managed to shut out Nebraska just two weeks later.)

#12 Florida 41 – LSU 9
October 7, 2000 · Ben Hill Griffin Stadium · Gainesville, FL

In a clear sign of a poorly-coached football team, Nick Saban’s LSU squad turned the ball over four times en route to being humiliated by Florida, 41-9.

#10 Alabama 31 – #14 LSU 0
November 16, 2002 · Tiger Stadium · Baton Rouge, LA

Nick Saban’s future team got the better of him, shutting out his LSU Tigers, 31 to zip. The defeat marked the first time LSU had been shut out since 1996.

#2 Nebraska 50 – Michigan State 10
September 9, 1995 · Spartan Stadium · East Lansing, MI

In Nick Saban’s first game as head coach of Michigan State, his Spartan team was thoroughly routed by Nebraska, 50-10, Michigan State’s largest losing margin in 12 years.

Stanford 38 – Michigan State 0
December 31, 1996 · Sun Bowl, Sun Bowl Stadium · El Paso, TX

Nick Saban’s Michigan State team managed just 68 rushing yards against Tyrone Willingham’s Stanford squad. That’s right: Nick Saban got shut out thirty-eight to zero by Tyrone Willingham. The same Tyrone Willingham who singlehandedly set back the Notre Dame football program 10 years. The same Tyrone Willingham who went 0-12 in his final season of coaching in 2008.

#7 Utah 31 – #4 Alabama 17
January 2, 2009 · Sugar Bowl, New Orleans Superdome · New Orleans, LA

Alabama has seen its fair share of Sugar Bowl losses to the likes of the biggest powers in college football: Texas (1948), Notre Dame (1973), Miami (1990). A 10-point favorite coming into the game, Alabama was spanked up and down the field by the Utah Utes, who jumped out to a 21-0 lead after one quarter, and never looked back in felling the oh-so-mighty Tide.

Louisiana-Monroe 21 – Alabama 14
November 17, 2007 · Bryant-Denny Stadium · Tuscaloosa, AL

Louisiana-Monroe came into the game 4-6 on the season, a middle-of-the-pack team in a fledgling Sun Belt conference, with a 2-29-1 all-time record against SEC opponents, and a 24-point underdog to the Crimson Tide. They were the 2007 version of the traditional creme pie opponent that Alabama usually schedules the week before the Iron Bowl (which they also lost by the way). The Warhawks walked out of the game world-beaters, handing Nick Saban his most humiliating defeat as coach of the Tide, that is until 2013 (see #1 below).

Alabama-Birmingham 13 – LSU 10
September 23, 2000 · Tiger Stadium · Baton Rouge, LA

After trailing 10-0 at halftime to the UAB Blazers, Nick Saban, in his first season as a coach in the SEC, was able to guide his LSU football team back to draw even at 10-10 late in the fourth quarter. Alas, the Blazers kicked a field goal on the game’s final play, making tiger bait out of Saban on homecoming, and giving UAB its first ever win over an SEC opponent.

And all of that from arguably the greatest coach of the modern era...

Source: The 25 Most Humiliating Defeats of Nick Saban’s Coaching Career | Fire Nick Saban

Reactions: 2 people
He has literally nothing in common with Butch Jones. Butch talks in coach-speak and cliches. Mike Leach is probably the most "off the cuff" football coach out there; just saying whatever comes to his head at any given moment.

Absolutely correct.
Leach is extremely intelligent and an original thinker.
The antithesis of Butch

Please let the hire be Mike Leach.

He's my favorite coach, really wants to be here and would be a great fit.

The timing is right, he could sail in with the vol navy as a pirate armada, start the vol walk from there...swing your ****ing sword.

Please let the hire be Mike Leach.

He's my favorite coach, really wants to be here and would be a great fit.

The timing is right, he could sail in with the vol navy as a pirate armada, start the vol walk from there...swing your ****ing sword.

Yeah please lets hire yet another average clown.

Absolutely correct.
Leach is extremely intelligent and an original thinker.
The antithesis of Butch

Exactly its why the timing is right.

He's super intelligent. Never played football, he simply recognized how ignorant most coaches are. People like Butch with 105 IQ's dominate the business, yet it is a complicated game, but the bar for intelligence is lower, simply because the average guy that gets involved in football is well, a dunderhead. Like the military it attracts morons, breeds morons, and promotes morons.

So football, like the military is ripe low hanging fruit for a schematic genius. Unfortunately the business itself knows how dangerous guys like Leach can be. So the brotherhood of dunderheads squeezes out guys like him. He's not accepted into the brotherhood and his path is more difficult because other Butchy type coaches are scared ****less of him.

Believe me, institutions like football and military are very suspicious of high intelligence.

They don't like it. They call it weird.

He's super intelligent. Never played football, he simply recognized how ignorant most coaches are. People like Butch with 105 IQ's dominate the business, yet it is a complicated game, but the bar for intelligence is lower, simply because the average guy that gets involved in football is well, a dunderhead. Like the military it attracts morons, breeds morons, and promotes morons.

So football, like the military is ripe low hanging fruit for a schematic genius. Unfortunately the business itself knows how dangerous guys like Leach can be. So the brotherhood of dunderheads squeezes out guys like him. He's not accepted into the brotherhood and his path is more difficult because other Butchy type coaches are scared ****less of him.

Believe me, institutions like football and military are very suspicious of high intelligence.

you're weird:shaking2:

What makes Leach so good? Because it sure isnt his record.

What makes Leach so good? Because it sure isnt his record.

:):):):):):):).

giphy.gif

Leach is mediocre and a clown.

So was butch and doofus. Atleast we will be somewhat entertained. If not on the field, then in the pressers. Probably the best we can hope for given the state of the program. Either way we are getting a mediocre coach, because they are the only ones willing to take a chance on UT.

VN Store

Back