Why Nashville?

You do realize that Nashville is the biggest TV market in the state by far. It is number 29 in the country, with Memphis coming in at 48 and Knoxville at 59. TV sets mean money. The Nashville area expects to add 1,000,000 people in the next 15 years or so, those numbers will push Nashville into the 15 aproximately in the country. So I imagine the people advertizing on TV will get their money's worth.

Also, as we know the Midstate is becoming a hotbed for players. Ole Miss, The Barn and Bama all come in here and recruit. Parents want to see their kids play, this is good PR for Midstate kids and parents. Have you never seen that Saban likes to play in Atlanta because it aids his recruiting efforts there. Same here for the Vols and it is home state, not out of state like Atlanta is for Bama.

There is another thing you are forgetting. There are a lot of people from the Midstate who donate money to the University. Got to keep the money rolling in from all directions.

GO VOLS BEAT BG!

IT'S (almost) FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE

I think people are missing the point of my original post. If you go back and read what I was responding to the poster was arguing we should schedule home games in Nashville or Memphis in lieu of playing in Knoxville.I don't object to occasionally playing "neutral" (honestly is a game anywhere in TN neutral?) site games. My point is that we shouldn't give up any games in Neyland stadium, it is a huge advantage, I've been in the Titans stadium back when they were good and it filled, and it is nowhere close the atmosphere of Neyland.

I agree that playing in Nashville or Memphis is good for recruiting. It gives local recruits and opportunity to see people get excited about UT coming to town and makes the school's footprint more apparent. From a money standpoint, I can't see having a game in Nashville creating a big TV draw for Nashville fans anymore than a Knoxville game would,and I think you are hard pressed to argue that we have to grow a fan base in the mid-state with Vandy returning to the basement.

I think people are missing the point of my original post. If you go back and read what I was responding to the poster was arguing we should schedule home games in Nashville or Memphis in lieu of playing in Knoxville.I don't object to occasionally playing "neutral" (honestly is a game anywhere in TN neutral?) site games. My point is that we shouldn't give up any games in Neyland stadium, it is a huge advantage, I've been in the Titans stadium back when they were good and it filled, and it is nowhere close the atmosphere of Neyland.

I agree that playing in Nashville or Memphis is good for recruiting. It gives local recruits and opportunity to see people get excited about UT coming to town and makes the school's footprint more apparent. From a money standpoint, I can't see having a game in Nashville creating a big TV draw for Nashville fans anymore than a Knoxville game would,and I think you are hard pressed to argue that we have to grow a fan base in the mid-state with Vandy returning to the basement.

What part of WE DIDN'T GIVE UP A NEYLAND DATE FOR THIS GAME don't you understand. We have 7 home games. That is the NORM! GEESH!!!!!!!!!! :banghead2:

Reactions: 2 people
UT has played around 1,200 games since the team was formed. Of those around 600 have been played in Neyland Stadium (or at the site before the stadium was built). How many "home" games have we actually played in Memphis? Not neutral site games, actual home games.

Really could care less about how many games. I was just stating that we have played home games in Memphis. Opponents have included Ole Miss, Miss St., Army, Wake Forest, Kansas, etc.

...My point is that we shouldn't give up any games in Neyland stadium, it is a huge advantage...

I agree in part, Bukowski. I think we should avoid ceding the Neyland advantage when there's serious question as to the outcome of the game. Of course, BGSU is probably not one of those games.

We're gonna have neutral-site games against worthy opponents...the neutral-field Bowl Openers (Battle of Bristol, Chick-Fil-a College Kickoff, etc.) are a chance to play a fellow Power 5 team from out of conference, without having to commit to a home-and-home (which always includes the Neyland advantage, yes, but in the other year also gives up an advantage to the other guy). So we're clearly not talking about giving up those home-and-home or neutral site matchups...they're a big piece of our OOC schedule each year. The highlight of it, in fact.

And our SEC schedule will always include 4 home, 4 away. So we're not talking about that.

That leaves the other 3 OOC games: two each year against Group of 5 schools, and one against a regional FCS opponent.

And those 3 games are where I think we can certainly give up a game every couple of years, to make a statement to recruits and fans throughout the state of Tennessee: "this is our home, you are Volunteers, we are here with you and you are with us, we are one family, all across the state."

I personally would love to see us go to Nashville once every two-three years, and to Memphis once every two-three years. Maybe a 3-year rotation: one at Nissan, one at Liberty Bowl, one back in Neyland, then repeat.

That'd be a pretty cool new scheduling tradition to take on.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
We did not take a home game off the schedule. There are still the usual seven home games at Neyland Stadium.

Adding a neutral site game in Nashville puts the program front-and-center in what has quickly become an important and fertile recruiting ground for us.

When originally scheduled, the game was a part of a 2-for-1 with UAB. 2 games in Neyland, one game at a neutral site where we would split the revenue with UAB 50-50 in lieu of going to Birmingham. UT arranged the site and logistics for the game. When UAB folded, UT found another opponent.

Tennessee is the home team.

This cleared it up...thank you. :hi: Do we have that agreement with Bowling Green now? By that I mean, are they coming to Neyland for two games? Or is this a one and done?

I couldn't care less who has the majority of fans among the metropolis that is Ardmore, TN. When it comes to Nashville, you are talking about Big Orange Country just like I said. Sure, whenever you have a city growing at the rate Nashville is, that means people from other states are relocating there and there will be some fans of other teams forming alumni bases but make no mistake about who dominates Nashville....

This is correct.

I'm with the op on this one. I would like to be going to a game in Neyland this Saturday. It's not like we haven't tried this before (Wyoming '02). It really does nothing for us as far as recruiting and we are already dominating the entire state anyway.

Thats a pretty short sighted view IMO.

We did not take a home game off the schedule. There are still the usual seven home games at Neyland Stadium.

Adding a neutral site game in Nashville puts the program front-and-center in what has quickly become an important and fertile recruiting ground for us.

When originally scheduled, the game was a part of a 2-for-1 with UAB. 2 games in Neyland, one game at a neutral site where we would split the revenue with UAB 50-50 in lieu of going to Birmingham. UT arranged the site and logistics for the game. When UAB folded, UT found another opponent.

Tennessee is the home team.

Deer,

2 questions:

Is BG getting a 50/50 spilt like UAB was ??!

Does the NCAA Allow for recruits to get free tickets to this game and allow the coaches to spend time with them before and after this game??

Thanks

The Tennessee Volunteers are Tennessee's college team. Not Knoxville's. Tennessee's. They should have three "home stadiums" to choose from whenever they like: Neyland in Knoxville, Nissan Stadium in Nashville, and the Liberty Bowl in Memphis (sorry, Memphis Tigers, you can share it with us when we're (usually) not using it).

Sure, most of the home games will be in Neyland--it's the greatest stadium in college football, and many of our traditions (Vol Navy, saluting the Hill) are tied to the geography surrounding the venue. But that doesn't mean it's our only home in this great state.

There are three stars on our flag, representing the geography of the Volunteer State. There are three stadiums that correspond to those divisions. Tennessee should feel perfectly at home in all of them.

Go Vols!

Years ago we used to play it seems a game in Memphis if not every year every other year? Not sure when that stopped but the Memphis fans loved it for sure.:rock:

Deer,

2 questions:

Is BG getting a 50/50 spilt like UAB was ??!

Does the NCAA Allow for recruits to get free tickets to this game and allow the coaches to spend time with them before and after this game??

Thanks
UT has allocated 400 tickets for recruits and their family

I understand the east Tennesseans lackluster excitement, but I live 60 miles from Nashville. I go to Neyland 1 or 2 times a year depending on the kids ball schedule. I am thrilled I get to see the Vols an extra time this year. It's a 3 hour ride to Knoxville and back not to mention the traffic nightmare getting out of Knoxville. For once, I get to zip down the road, see the Vols, hit the interstate and be home for most of the prime time games Sat night. I get to feel like Knoxvillians do for once. Granted, nothing could ever take the place of Neyland Stadium, but I'm excited to see the Vols so close to home.

What's more, don't you think Hurd, Barnett, Jennings, Jones, etc are excited to play close to home?

Last edited:
We basically added another home game to the schedule, while giving easier access to more fans from middle and west Tennesseans. Win-Win.

You could say they avoided an away game but they didnt add one. They have 8 home games every other year at least.

Nashville is now the 3rd or 4th largest city in the Southeast. Lots of recruits, lots of recruiting, lots of fans.

What's the downside?

Reactions: 4 people
The Tennessee Volunteers are Tennessee's college team. Not Knoxville's. Tennessee's. They should have three "home stadiums" to choose from whenever they like: Neyland in Knoxville, Nissan Stadium in Nashville, and the Liberty Bowl in Memphis (sorry, Memphis Tigers, you can share it with us when we're (usually) not using it).

Sure, most of the home games will be in Neyland--it's the greatest stadium in college football, and many of our traditions (Vol Navy, saluting the Hill) are tied to the geography surrounding the venue. But that doesn't mean it's our only home in this great state.

There are three stars on our flag, representing the geography of the Volunteer State. There are three stadiums that correspond to those divisions. Tennessee should feel perfectly at home in all of them.

Go Vols!

Nicely stated JP, I'm glad that you know your state history regarding our state flag. GBO!

Intersting. Thanks

I would assume had it been UABs home game that would have been against NCAA rules.

I wonder how that works also... Surely It can't count as an official visit since it's not on campus... That would be hogwash. But this is the NCAA we are talking about, so who knows

I wonder how that works also... Surely It can't count as an official visit since it's not on campus... That would be hogwash. But this is the NCAA we are talking about, so who knows

No these would be unofficial visits but recruits still get 3 free tickets.

Why take a home game off the schedule to play in Nasvillle? I understand Butch thinks it a good recruiting tool, but is it really? It's not even sold out?

The downside seems significant. Less revenues for one, but mostly a missed opportunity to get our players ready in their home stadium prior to a really important game against OU.

Let's face it. We will have a significant amount of players in the game with very little experience playing in such a high profile game in Neyland. Why wouldn't we want to take advantage of that opportunity?

I realize it isn't the end if the world and is great for our players who are from Nashville. I just think it does more harm than good due to our week 2 opponent.

Not a home game

Nashville is now the 3rd or 4th largest city in the Southeast. Lots of recruits, lots of recruiting, lots of fans.

What's the downside?

For all the talk about opposing fans moving in here, being a large city is just part of that. I grew up in Atlanta in the 90's, so I was there when the olympic boom was in full swing. I would say sure the majority were uga fans. But you had a fair number of GT, Auburn, Clemson, and UNC fans. Surprisingly I don't remember very many bama or UT fans. While Georgia has two historically successful football programs, the boom of the SEC has really hurt GT in Atlanta while other fan bases appear to have continued to grow.

Today in Atlanta yes a majority of fans are bulldog fans but out of 5 million people, I would bet of the 2 million die hard college fans, half are fans of someone other than uga.

Nashville is a big city and getting bigger. That just means more opportunity for UT to capitalize. even if the percentage of fans dwindles, 50% of 2 million is better than 60% of 1 million.

Go Vols!

That's Right! We have a river named after our football team, mountains named after our mascot and a flag with three stars representing our stadiums for our home games by God!

We basically added another home game to the schedule, while giving easier access to more fans from middle and west Tennesseans. Win-Win.

This makes much more sense to me now. I didn't realize this replaced the UAB game when their program shut down. Makes much more sense.

The fact you think a 4:00pm matchup against Bowling Green in Knoxville would have been high profile shows this thread is based on a ridiculous premise.

It will be a home crowd in one of the strongest recruiting regions of the state and will hopefully feature a complete, dominating performance by the Vols. These are big for the 'One Tennessee' concept, for exposure, and for recruiting.

Sure, they sell less tickets, but it does more good than bad in my honest opinion.

I think you missed part of my point. I better understand now that this is a replacement game for UAB. My other point wasn't that BG in Neyland is a big game atmosphere, but rather gave our very young team an opportunity to play in their home stadium prior to OU. I suspect we might be a bit more hyped up as a 1st home game (ever for some) against a great opponent.

That said, I say we beat some Sooner a$$!!!

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back