Why Nashville?

Deer,

2 questions:

Is BG getting a 50/50 spilt like UAB was ??!

Does the NCAA Allow for recruits to get free tickets to this game and allow the coaches to spend time with them before and after this game??

Thanks

No. BG is getting a straight fee. I forget what it is, but it's been reported. I think it's in the 750k range.

The biggest reason you've seen teams agree to do neutral site games is the NCAA changed the rule several years ago to allow teams to give tickets to recruits for neutral site games. I don't know if they can go on the field and in the locker room like for a home game, but they can definitely get free tickets for them and their families.

The school cannot give free tickets to recruits for a conference championship game or a bowl game.

Game is being played in a NFL stadium in the largest metro city in TN that also happens to be the capital.

The fact is UT needs the Nashville metro area to continue to recruit the way it is.

Brentwood and Hendersonville are kicking out stud players right now and will only continue to kick out more stud players as the cities grow.

Nashville's growth is in the top 5 of all cities in the country right now. You want the players in this area to be hardcore vol fans...and start pulling fans away from Bama and UF...which there are a lot of here.

This is a smart long term move.

Reactions: 2 people
Nashville is a cool place. I live in Nashville and I love it. I think it's a great idea for UT to play a game down here. One, it pisses Vandy fans off, and two, there's a lot of UT fans in the area, lots. Plus, recruiting this area of TN is crucial going forward.

My point is that we shouldn't give up any games in Neyland stadium, it is a huge advantage, I've been in the Titans stadium back when they were good and it filled, and it is nowhere close the atmosphere of Neyland.

It's almost impossible to get an NFL crowd excited about a football game. There just isn't the same kind of passion for pro football.

That being said, out of all the Titans games I ever attended only once did Adelphia/Nissan ever resemble Neyland--the wild card game with the Music City Miracle. The place was going nuts over the TD, but as the review went on longer and longer the excitement receded and the stadium got unbelievably quiet. I was with a couple of buddies who'd never been to Neyland, and I said, "might want to ease towards the exit guys."

"Why?"

"Because this is a Tennessee crowd and if those refs overturn the touchdown. There's going to be a riot."

"They don't act like they'd be that pissed off," the other guy said.

"Trust me. This crowd will rush the field and get after those refs like hound dogs on a raccoon hunt.'

Fortunately the refs must have thought the same thing and let that non touchdown stand.

Recruiting, buff said. It is important not only for this year but for years to come, and it probably won't be the last time UT does this. I understand about missing a game in Neyland Stadium, but the positives outweigh the negatives in my opinion.

It's almost impossible to get an NFL crowd excited about a football game. There just isn't the same kind of passion for pro football.

The exception is Green Bay. I was lucky enough to go to a game at Lambeau last year and after the pre game tailgates then going into the game I said "ok, I get it. This is a NFL with a college football atmosphere". There's blue hairs and young in the stands and will pack the place even on one of those awful preseason games. And no matter who they're playing the overriding theme is "the Bears suck".

The exception is Green Bay. I was lucky enough to go to a game at Lambeau last year and after the pre game tailgates then going into the game I said "ok, I get it. This is a NFL with a college football atmosphere". There's blue hairs and young in the stands and will pack the place even on one of those awful preseason games. And no matter who they're playing the overriding theme is "the Bears suck".

Philadelphia is pretty rowdy as well.

Because now I only have to drive 30 minutes to the game. Sorry for being selfish. I'll try not to let it happen again.

Nashville is an easier drive for all our brothers and sisters in the middle and western part of our great state. However, we all know that east TN is the best (gold medal, blue ribbon) of the three stars.

Nashville is an easier drive for all our brothers and sisters in the middle and western part of our great state. However, we all know that east TN is the best (gold medal, blue ribbon) of the three stars.

I live in the Nashville area and you won't get an argument from me... East TN in the fall is one of the prettiest places on earth

The Tennessee Volunteers are Tennessee's college team. Not Knoxville's. Tennessee's. They should have three "home stadiums" to choose from whenever they like: Neyland in Knoxville, Nissan Stadium in Nashville, and the Liberty Bowl in Memphis (sorry, Memphis Tigers, you can share it with us when we're (usually) not using it).

Sure, most of the home games will be in Neyland--it's the greatest stadium in college football, and many of our traditions (Vol Navy, saluting the Hill) are tied to the geography surrounding the venue. But that doesn't mean it's our only home in this great state.

There are three stars on our flag, representing the geography of the Volunteer State. There are three stadiums that correspond to those divisions. Tennessee should feel perfectly at home in all of them.

Go Vols!
Good post. However, Neyland is the greatest stadium in the known world.

I wonder how much tickets will be if you get them there.. Scalpers I guess heck 3 of us are going see the game stay Sat night hit the down town bars.
somebody said $5 will get you in.. sure seems low

With as many tickets that are left, I'd say scalper tickets,if you can find them, will be cheap

MALONE: I'm looking forward to playing at Nissan Stadium. It's always been a dream of mine to play there. It's a blessing.

JENNINGS: I used to be a ball boy for the Titans when I was really really young. I'm familiar with the field.

Yeah, a Nashville game is just a bad idea. (eye rolly thing)

Reactions: 1 person
I believe we will never have fewer than 7 home games. As a donor, I would not be happy to pay the donation and get fewer home games. The price of the ticket is almost negligible to the donation if only 6 home games. I doubt the local restaurant and hotel business would ever be to happy to lose an actual 'home' game to anybody outside of Knoxville. I donate to come home to UTK 7 times a year and relive my youth in the city and the university where I had 4 of the best years of my life.

With as many tickets that are left, I'd say scalper tickets,if you can find them, will be cheap

Cheap tickets on the street mean a large number of people decide not to use their tickets.

Key thing here is this isn't a season ticket so every ticket sold was bought with an intention of showing up for the game. Perhaps the heat changes a few peoples mind but IMO that are a hell of a lot more people going without tickets than are not using tickets bought.

I know 50 people going. 30 bought tickets and 20 think they are saving $ by waiting to buy on the street. I know of no one going with extra tickets to sell.

Major mistake.
I'm shocked that the UT admin would schedule a game at Nissan knowing the Titans were playing a pre-season game on the field only two nights prior. This field has been one of the worst in the NFL and now the Vols will be contending with a field that is likely chucked up from Thursday night. That is only one day to try and get things back in order, and i don't see it happening. That's barely the time you'd like to have to stripe and logo the field.

This is horrible foresight by the administration, and the field conditions will be apt to contribute to injury. Of course, i dissaprove of playing this game in Nashville in the first place.

Seems i recall this is the same field that UT lost Kevin Burnette to a season ending injury.

Pretty sure this game was scheduled in Nashville well before the preseason NFL schedule was set.

Invalid argument.

Pretty sure this game was scheduled in Nashville well before the preseason NFL schedule was set.

Invalid argument.

You didn't invalidate the argument. UT knows NFL teams have a preseason schedule. I suggest you read up on logic.

You didn't invalidate the argument. UT knows NFL teams have a preseason schedule. I suggest you read up on logic.

Yes, the UT admin does.

As for knowing there would be a game two days before we scheduled to play in a new recruiting hotbed (your argument entirely hinges on bad field conditions due to a game two days before) they would have no idea. The game could have been a Sunday, or away, or any number of things.

Your point about poor field conditions due to a game two days before is literally invalid, unless you're suggesting the admin should have moved the game when preseason schedules were announced in the summer (virtually impossible). You're whining for the sake of whining. Take your complaints to the AD to get laughed at instead of wasting our time.

VN Store

Back