Why Do We Still Not Know A QB? Concerning.

That’s my point though. A lot of fans criticized him as if he’s no good. A “no good” qb doesn’t make anyone concerned playing against him.
I don't think he is talentless. But I don't think he stays in this comference. He should, likely take a step down from the pressure and just play ball.

For starters, I am usually optimistic and still am.

CJH said this morning that “they will announce a starter when they feel like they’ve (QB) earned it.

Why does UT never announce a QB until 10 mins before kickoff? It seems like we are the only team in CFB who never has a clear cut starter.
It never turns out good when we play this game. What is the secret? Are all 3 not that great and you’re just picking at this point? Concerning that at least 1 of the bunch hasn’t stood out.

I hope I am wrong, but it is never good when you don't know who is leading your team, 10 days before kickoff.
What about now? If you knew, would that ease your mind? It doesn’t matter. This is a scrimmage.

Sure, Milton IS QB1 and has been for quite awhile. What's going on is Heupel avoiding making it official because of the next question: who is QB2?

When/if Bailey is pushed to QB3, Heupel has to worry about him hitting the portal so he's saying as little as possible about the QB competition. If he could depend on Bailey staying, we'd have the QB named. He can't..... and here we are.
The team knows who the starter is ....so do the QB's

That’s my point though. A lot of fans criticized him as if he’s no good. A “no good” qb doesn’t make anyone concerned playing against him.
I'm not saying he's not good but I'm also not seeing a "Man! Somebody's gonna jump on that!!!" media buzz or any speculation anywhere on "where's Maurer going...."

If he was likely to be the kind of talent who'd "kick our teeth in" at another SEC school maybe we'd see SOME media speculation or buzz, ya know?

I get that this is a ridiculous time for anyone to enter the portal (who isn't moving down) and I get that the season is about to start and that's the primary focus but Maurer going to the portal seems to have been met by the media with something between a shrug and a yawn, to be honest.

That's not to be mean...... it's just reality that aside from a quick blurb that he's in the portal, no discussion, speculation, etc. Nothing. No side bar story of "Brian Maurer's next destination...." or leaks of interest from anyone.

If you've got a radar image on him, share..... because no one else seems to be showing interest publicly.

Reactions: volsrock09
The team knows who the starter is ....so do the QB's
EVERYONE knows the starter is Milton.

I'm hoping Heupel isn't trying the co-QB2 approach JUST to keep HB from transferring. That's weak, if true, even though I've no desire for HB to transfer. I want a strong, decisive, upfront Head Coach for the future.

It was cringy to see Saban "dance" with the media on the Hurts and Tua situation..... and in the end, snaps (in games or practice) always tell the tale.

I'm hoping Heupel isn't trying the co-QB2 approach JUST to keep HB from transferring. That's weak, if true, even though I've no desire for HB to transfer. I want a strong, decisive, upfront Head Coach for the future.

It was cringy to see Saban "dance" with the media on the Hurts and Tua situation..... and in the end, snaps (in games or practice) always tell the tale.
Sounds to me like HB may be third. Not so based on much negative about him (other than 1 insider saying he's been the least accurate in camp) as much as the positive vibes hearing about Hooker having quietly really consistent days.

After reading through VN this past 4 weeks or so I was gobsmacked that somehow Milton and this explosive offense did not merit him a place on the Heisman watch lists whereas we have freshman that have not thrown a college pass on there. How can this be with all that talent, size, and arm?

My take is CJH wants to win…now! If you take him at his word, the QB who wins the job makes the best decisions. CJH also said the QB must also prove to the team, both offense and defense, that he is the best. This may take a few games. The on field play will decide this issue.

I really don’t care who the starter is as of now, until the starter proves otherwise. A lot of people married to the idea of Milton or hooker or Bailey as the uncontested starter may be in for a surprise when their guy isn’t lighting it up like they think he will.

Reactions: KptVFL
Im still standing by my previous statement that i made a few weeks ago on here, Milton, Hooker and Bailey are all upgrades over JG. Every fan and every player on the team KNEW JG was holding the entire team back and Pruitt wouldnt budge on him.

I don't buy it. Pruitt standing by JG is the ONLY thing I ever believed that came out of Pruitt's face. I believe JG WAS the best of the QBs last year (because they all sucked). It's the reason we have Milton and Hooker now. Even Pruitt knew he was going to need to "flush the lines" at the QB position.

HB is still young, can still turn out good, but JG, JT, BM and HB all were terrible last year. The fact that three of the four are now gone off the team speaks for itself. The only reason HB remained is because he was the youngest (least tainted) and had the most upside and we had to keep at least one.

Could be. Dobbs was durable. I think Hooker has been injured in his career. I don't think Milton's injury should be considered indicative of someone who is "fragile". Bailey we don't have any way to know.

I think Bailey will leave if he doesn't end up #2 since ostensibly Hooker and Milton can both return next year. All are starter quality QB's. But Maurer made an immature, emotion driven mistake. He had nothing to lose and everything to gain by sticking it out through this season. He can't play anywhere this fall.... and he just added "quitter" to the baggage a next coach has to accept.

I think Bailey is much better handled and will make a more measured decision should it come to that.
Maurer can learn a new system this year. Wait does he have to gain by being 4th string here?

Bailey is the one who is one injury away from being the next man up. He still has 5 years to play 4, and can assess his options after the season. He can’t transfer now and expect to play instantly.

Since Hooker has already used his transfer, he can only go to FBS, so his options are more limited.

This will all shake out in December and January. We will have 3 scholarship QBs next year, which will be normal in most years.

For starters, I am usually optimistic and still am.

CJH said this morning that “they will announce a starter when they feel like they’ve (QB) earned it.

Why does UT never announce a QB until 10 mins before kickoff? It seems like we are the only team in CFB who never has a clear cut starter.
It never turns out good when we play this game. What is the secret? Are all 3 not that great and you’re just picking at this point? Concerning that at least 1 of the bunch hasn’t stood out.

I hope I am wrong, but it is never good when you don't know who is leading your team, 10 days before kickoff.

Don't worry. In that ten minutes, there will be a last minute test to determine the starter. It could be a new form of duck duck goose. Whoever wins starts.

I don't buy it. Pruitt standing by JG is the ONLY thing I ever believed that came out of Pruitt's face. I believe JG WAS the best of the QBs last year (because they all sucked). It's the reason we have Milton and Hooker now. Even Pruitt knew he was going to need to "flush the lines" at the QB position.

HB is still young, can still turn out good, but JG, JT, BM and HB all were terrible last year. The fact that three of the four are now gone off the team speaks for itself. The only reason HB remained is because he was the youngest (least tainted) and had the most upside and we had to keep at least one.
There is some truth to this. I liked what little we saw from HB last year and think he has potential that we may see this year. But, there is no way he was ready to go at the beginning of the season last year. The rest of the QB room was just bad from day one of Pruitt’s tenure. There was never a guy you could put into the game and be confident he could give you a few sustained drives without some calamity.

Our current situation is at least 3x better.

If you're right about this, then Pruitt is totally at fault because he didn't go out and find a Milton/Hooker equivalent in the portal. Surely there was some fifth year senior who would've loved to come in here and play. As bad as JG was, and with the others being so inexperienced, a real head coach would have seen that crucial problem and solved it in the spring and brought that guy along so he could play in the fall if JG faltered. And JG did falter, badly. But that idiot Pruitt just left us to blow in the wind once it was clear that JG was terrible and the frosh weren't any better due to being raw. Idiot Gump!

my guess is we’ll see all three in BG and will then know the #2, #3 pecking order. I’d still say Milton has a fairly short rope and margin of error if things don’t go well.

Maurer can learn a new system this year. Wait does he have to gain by being 4th string here?
He's gone but he had some to gain and a lot to lose. One he could have developed for a season and gained experience. Another is that he now has to deal with the label "quitter" along with not having good judgment on social media and his other issues. His opportunities would have been better if he'd simply kept his mouth shut, see where the year led, and then transferred.

Bailey is the one who is one injury away from being the next man up. He still has 5 years to play 4, and can assess his options after the season. He can’t transfer now and expect to play instantly.
If he's next man up in this group then there are a lot of P5 schools where he's first up. I'll be surprised when all is said and done if HH isn't the "next man up". The run game for a lot of reasons may be more of the O this year than Heupel typically makes it. It will help the OL. UT has talent but not a ton of experience at WR. The QB run just helps that. HB can't run.

Since Hooker has already used his transfer, he can only go to FBS, so his options are more limited.
Yeah, I don't think he goes anywhere.

This will all shake out in December and January. We will have 3 scholarship QBs next year, which will be normal in most years.
I still believe Bailey should leave if he's not the starter come end of season. That will give him time to find a home and earn the job for a couple of years. If he stays at UT and the QB run becomes an important part of the O then he may never start. He could be passed by Jackson in fairly short order.

my guess is we’ll see all three in BG and will then know the #2, #3 pecking order. I’d still say Milton has a fairly short rope and margin of error if things don’t go well.
Why? Would you be saying the same thing if Bailey were going to start? Hooker? There's a fine line between giving a guy a chance and letting it go too far. I suspect he'll get a good chance to show what he can do. He won't be yanked for just a few mistakes.

Reactions: Delmar
Why? Would you be saying the same thing if Bailey were going to start? Hooker? There's a fine line between giving a guy a chance and letting it go too far. I suspect he'll get a good chance to show what he can do. He won't be yanked for just a few mistakes.
Yes, I’d course I would. I don’t have an emotional attachment to any of the three.
I want the best chance to win.

Physically gifted??? Why does that matter? We need mentally gifted. Baily proved in the spring that he was a good quarterback. When they pick Milton to start, he is gone, gone.
Do you think physical gifts arent an assett at QB?
So any ol high IQ guy could do the job?

You don't really believe that..m

Do you think physical gifts arent an assett at QB?
So any ol high IQ guy could do the job?

You don't really believe that..m
Do really believe that Milton is so much better than Bailey physically ? Bailey is about 220, has been compared to Josh Allen in mechanics and arm strength. Sure he can run better then Bailey. How far you can throw a ball doesn't really mean anything if you can't hit the open guy. Just my take on it. At this point I hope we are not married to ANYONE if they are not getting it done move on and give HH, Bailey, Or Milton a shot. Practice doesn't equal gameday. Live bullets flying, will give the best indication imo.

VN Store

Back