Why Do We Still Not Know A QB? Concerning.

Disagree, I believe Maurer was more talented in both mobility and arm strength than Bailey.

However I think Milton will be the guy. Watching his Michigan games, he was a lot better than anything we have had at qb since Dobbs(including Bailey).

I just don’t see why you’d pull for the guy with the least physical ability to win the job. Having a great quarterback can make an average team a very good team. Milton has the tools to be great. Bailey is a Justin Worley type game manager, that’s probably not gonna make the team much better
My vote as of now is for Milton. It’s not a terribly educated vote. Also Bailey is much better than Worley I think odds are we’re gonna get QB play from someone

Burrow didn't wait. Hurts didn't wait.
Burrow played 2 years at LSU after 3 years at tOSU. Hurts played all but one year at Bama.

HB's circumstance is completely different in part because of the transfer rule. If he finishes the season 3rd then IMO he probably needs to find a new home It gets tougher if he's #2 but he'll still have to think about it.

But in all honesty, if Milton starts then he still has to keep earning it on the field. We've seen practice All Americans....

Burrow didn't wait. Hurts didn't wait. I'm not suggesting HB is near that level but Taulia didn't wait either, despite dropping several notches from Bama.

Obviously, I wish Bailey would wait but let's say we're 7-5, Milton gets 80% of the snaps, Bailey and Hooker split the 20% relatively evenly, mostly garbage time. Milton won't declare for the NFL unless he has a breakout game vs AL, GA or somebody that matters. Nobody cares if he tosses 7 TDs vs Tennessee Tech.

Next year, similar, maybe 8-4, even 9-3, and Milton has gotten all the "Heupel hype" he can get and declares. Is HB in a fight with Tayven? And who was that new QB Heupel pulled out of the portal at the end of last season.....

I'm not sure college football is a "sit and learn" game beyond one year anymore. Do we think talent like Jackson sits behind Milton one year then Bailey one or two years?

I don't know the future of college football but seriously good QB talent seems to be waiting a year.
Hurts, Tua and Burrow are all completely different scenarios. Hurrs did come back his Junior year despite being unseated by the Freshman Tua. Then Hurts transferred after for sure losing the job to a Freshman. That makes sense as he wouldn’t plays again unless Tua got hurt. Also, doesn’t apply to Tua here either. He didn’t transfer, he won the job.

Burrow also didn’t transfer until his Redshirt Junior year (spent 3 years at OSU) after knowing he lost the job.

If HB follows this trend then he will compete until at least his Junior year.

Last edited:
Burrow played 2 years at LSU after 3 years at tOSU. Hurts played all but one year at Bama.

HB's circumstance is completely different in part because of the transfer rule. If he finishes the season 3rd then IMO he probably needs to find a new home It gets tougher if he's #2 but he'll still have to think about it.

But in all honesty, if Milton starts then he still has to keep earning it on the field. We've seen practice All Americans....
And in no way does he need to transfer, even at 3. He still has 5 years to okay 4. He didn’t have a Spring and only had a couple practices in Fall last year. He needs time to develop. QBs that come in and start as Freshmen are rare

Reactions: BigALWiLson
I guarantee the coaches and players already know. Even if it has not been officially announced to them, you can tell by who is up first in reps at this point.

Following the bread crumbs, looks like Milton will start.

Reactions: GoVolunteers

What happened to Burrow at tOSU was Haskins.
What happened to Hurts at Bama was Tua.

It's not exactly about how long they stayed, it's about how long until they get recruited over via the portal or a freshman.

Older guys seeing the light that a younger guy will jump their progression to the starter occurs regardless of what year the "jumpee" is. When Burrow saw his chances fade....... boom, he gone.
When Hurts saw his chances fade...... boom, he gone.

Why stay? If Heupel is successful, he might easily recruit over Bailey, ESPECIALLY with the portal. Do you think Bailey EVER dreamed he'd compete against Milton or Hooker?

If (God please..... No.....) Heupel tanks, wanna be the least smelliest turd in the bowl?

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
What happened to Burrow at tOSU was Haskins.
What happened to Hurts at Bama was Tua.

It's not exactly about how long they stayed, it's about how long until they get recruited over via the portal or a freshman.

Older guys seeing the light that a younger guy will jump their progression to the starter occurs regardless of what year the "jumpee" is. When Burrow saw his chances fade....... boom, he gone.
When Hurts saw his chances fade...... boom, he gone.

Why stay? If Heupel is successful, he might easily recruit over Bailey, ESPECIALLY with the portal. Do you think Bailey EVER dreamed he'd compete against Milton or Hooker?

If (God please..... No.....) Heupel tanks, wanna be the least smelliest turd in the bowl?
Only HB and the coaches truly know where HB stands. If he feels good about his development then I don’t know why he wouldn’t stay. Hooker only has 1-2 years and Milton has 2-3. Best case for HB and us is Milton balls out this year and next and leaves for the draft. Hooker stays as backup those 2 years. HB redshirts this year, becomes an expert in the offense and improves his skills then takes over and still has 3 years eligibility

And in no way does he need to transfer, even at 3. He still has 5 years to okay 4. He didn’t have a Spring and only had a couple practices in Fall last year. He needs time to develop. QBs that come in and start as Freshmen are rare
The Portal.

Does Milton look like a COVID sophomore? He is a "grown ass man" compared to Bailey and he has 3 years left if he "needs time to develop."

The portal IS Bailey's friend but also his enemy. Besides Jackson out developing Bailey, what if some 5* like GA's Vandergriff gets a wild hair and decides Heupel can (and likely would) make him QB1 in an exciting SEC offense?

It's a tough, tough spot for Bailey, particularly if he drops to the obvious QB3 spot.

The Portal.

Does Milton look like a COVID sophomore? He is a "grown ass man" compared to Bailey and he has 3 years left if he "needs time to develop."

The portal IS Bailey's friend but also his enemy. Besides Jackson out developing Bailey, what if some 5* like GA's Vandergriff gets a wild hair and decides Heupel can (and likely would) make him QB1 in an exciting SEC offense?

It's a tough, tough spot for Bailey, particularly if he drops to the obvious QB3 spot.
He can cross that bridge when it comes. Until the situation gets worth he doesn’t need to transfer. Ultimately I don’t care what he does as long as we have a good QB and backup. If he feels he has a chance to win the job next year or the year after he should stay. Otherwise he should go

Only HB and the coaches truly know where HB stands. If he feels good about his development then I don’t know why he wouldn’t stay. Hooker only has 1-2 years and Milton has 2-3. Best case for HB and us is Milton balls out this year and next and leaves for the draft. Hooker stays as backup those 2 years. HB redshirts this year, becomes an expert in the offense and improves his skills then takes over and still has 3 years eligibility
Agreed that HB could be solidly QB2 and I'm fine trusting Heupel's judgement there.

Let's be reasonable, we're probably a 7-5, dang successful 8-4, huge overachiever 9-3 team. Milton isn't likely to have an OMG. LET'S GET THIS GUY!! unless we're 9-3. I'll give it an 8% chance. At 8-4 or 7-5 at TN, Milton is a "his physical gifts are an upside but he's not a QB...... where do we put him?" NFL draft pick. God knows I want him to look like Cam but I like my farm, I don't wanna bet it right now.

If Milton leads us to 7-5 or 8-4, Bailey's chances of not being recruited or portaled over are about 25%. He gone.

Essentially, Bailey has to root for UT to underachieve for his own chances to start.

He can cross that bridge when it comes. Until the situation gets worth he doesn’t need to transfer. Ultimately I don’t care what he does as long as we have a good QB and backup. If he feels he has a chance to win the job next year or the year after he should stay. Otherwise he should go
Sure. While we've hated on Pruitt, HE recruited Hooker on top of JG, Shrout, Bailey, Salter, and Maurer. If even Pruitt thought we needed a QB with only 2 years left....... eeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!

Now Heupel came and picked up Milton over Hooker, Bailey, Salter, and Maurer....... Hmmmmmm.

At some point I start to look at Bailey and Maurer and say two coaches apparently thought they could recruit over you........ Hmmmmmm.

Last edited:
Did you watch Bailey in high school? Bailey missed most of spring and had **** for coaches last year. I personally like all 3 QBs.. But you ain't giving Bailey a fair shake. He doesn't have to be dual threat QB in Heupel system. I'd rather have a game manager vs what we had the last 3 years. I hope all 3 QB are game managers.
Pruitt...... freaking Pruitt and Cheney...... recruited Hooker with 2 years left while ===JG, Shrout, Bailey, Maurer, and Salter=== were QBs at UT.

There's a reason Heupel recruited Milton. See above.

Pruitt...... freaking Pruitt and Cheney...... recruited Hooker with 2 years left while ===JG, Shrout, Bailey, Maurer, and Salter=== were QBs at UT.

I think they are confident with Bailey. He has worked to get better and by all accounts a student of the game. I don't think Hooker was brought in to recruit over Bailey. Now he could have won the job but I think it would have more to do with the fact he couldn't trust Maurer, JG and Shrout Transferred. The Salter kid doomed himself. I'm sure they knew JG and Shrout were transferring. So that gives 3 Qbs by bringing Hooker in. That makes sense.

Bailey is a game manager. I worry more about Maurer “kicking our teeth out” while at another school. Bailey is a very low risk low reward qb. He can’t run, has a very average arm, and tended to hold onto the ball to long last year. I just don’t see what some of y’all love so much about him. He is so similar to Justin Worley that it’s not even funny.
:D:D:D:D

Reactions: Zues1

There is also a reason Milton didn't get picked up by a Florida..tOSU, Clempson, Okla etc... Like I said I am for whoever Heupel puts out there.. But I ain't discounting Bailey by any means like you are. I also ain't anointing any either. It would not surprise me one bit that who ever starts the first part of the season will the starter the last part or the season. And you can leave Jim Chaney out of the conversation.. JG was Pruitt's guy, on top of Bailey not practicing and being a true freshman last year... Your argument and fanboy don't hold weight. How'd Milton do as a true freshman btw?

For starters, I am usually optimistic and still am.

CJH said this morning that “they will announce a starter when they feel like they’ve (QB) earned it.

Why does UT never announce a QB until 10 mins before kickoff? It seems like we are the only team in CFB who never has a clear cut starter.
It never turns out good when we play this game. What is the secret? Are all 3 not that great and you’re just picking at this point? Concerning that at least 1 of the bunch hasn’t stood out.

I hope I am wrong, but it is never good when you don't know who is leading your team, 10 days before kickoff.
They know who the starter is. Not saying so the other QB's can't hit the portal before the season starts. Kinda unfair to that kid that could transfer and play somewhere else.

There is also a reason Milton didn't get picked up by a Florida..tOSU, Clempson, Okla etc... Like I said I am for whoever Heupel puts out there.. But I ain't discounting Bailey by any means like you are. I also ain't anointing any either. It would not surprise me one bit that who ever starts the first part of the season will the starter the last part or the season. And you can leave Jim Chaney out of the conversation.. JG was Pruitt's guy, on top of Bailey not practicing and being a true freshman last year... Your argument and fanboy don't hold weight. How'd Milton do as a true freshman btw?
It's a matter of development. HB had the Spring with Heupel to compete with Maurer and Hooker.

As near as we can tell, he didn't distinguish himself. Again, he had the Fall to compete with Maurer, Hooker and Milton and managed to clearly beat out only Maurer.

It is what it is. HB had a fair shot and apparently didn't come out on top.

Reactions: lexkyvol
Not really, do you think he starts for another SEC team ?
All I’m saying is hypothetically if he went to Vanderbilt (the worst of all SEC teams), most fans would have a bit of concern going into that game knowing he was their qb. They may not admit it but it would be there.

All I’m saying is hypothetically if he went to Vanderbilt (the worst of all SEC teams), most fans would have a bit of concern going into that game knowing he was their qb. They may not admit it but it would be there.
Yeah I can possibly see that. Always the doom and glooms. For me personally we would beat their ass with any of the 3 we have currently

Reactions: lexkyvol
Yeah I can possibly see that. Always the doom and glooms. For me personally we would beat their ass with any of the 3 we have currently
That’s my point though. A lot of fans criticized him as if he’s no good. A “no good” qb doesn’t make anyone concerned playing against him.

VN Store

Back