Who Was Your First Favorite CFB Player?

Ricky Townsend

Yes, that is Condredge holding and how his jersey usually looked.

02beb4a0f25e92fb199637993e250a7d--townsend-tennessee-tree-toppers.jpg
Tearaway jerseys and barefoot kickers were definitely a 70s thing.

Tearaway jerseys and barefoot kickers were definitely a 70s thing.
Condredge was the epitome of the tear0away look. Unfortunately, I took my first full-time job in Huntsville in 1972 and was unable to go to many Vol games

Reactions: MAD
Condredge Holloway, Larry Seivers, Haskell Stanback, and Stanley Morgan all stand out in my mind. Most of the memories are from John Wards calls of the games and reading the KNS on Sunday mornings.
Those 4 are mine too. I also cherished the Sunday sports section the day after the games. Would you listen to to that radio show after the games where people could call in and ask for a particular score? And Sundays you had a recap show on TV around noon that showed highlights of all the Saturday games.

Reactions: VAVol85
Back to Condredge for a minute....

How many folks were at his freshman game vs Notre Dame to witness his high flying act into the S endzone at the near pylon from about the 5? I remember that play and the one from somewhere near midfield when he raised up and hit an uncovered wideout near the east side hash marks for a big play, score I think, in the same endzone.

Have no idea why I would have been in town for that 2 years into my Belmont experience.
I believe Larry Seivers had three touchdown receptions in that game, but my memory is getting a little fuzzy.

Reactions: 67Vol and MAD
Peyton.

Was only about 10 years old before I started paying attention to football of any kind outside of the SB. I was a Braves fan first so we watched baseball on the weekend.

I remember Dad always listening to the radio for the Vols game, but we rarely watched the football games (or at least I didn't anyways).
I'm in the same age bracket I remember Peyton I was probably a little too young to appreciate him at the time. But grew up a huge braves fan up here in Ohio and my all time favorite baseball player will always be chipper Jones.

Many favorites but the earliest I recall watching in awe were Bobby Scott, Curt Watson, Conrad Graham, Jackie Walker, Condrege Holloway, Larry Sievers, Bobby Majors and Stanley Morgan. And a host of other great Vols.

VN Store

Back