Who Was Your First Favorite CFB Player?

Those 4 are mine too. I also cherished the Sunday sports section the day after the games. Would you listen to to that radio show after the games where people could call in and ask for a particular score? And Sundays you had a recap show on TV around noon that showed highlights of all the Saturday games.
Leonard’s Losers in the morning…John Ward and the Vol Network for the game…and then some kind of radio show with game scores from around the country. Pretty good Saturday routine. In high school, I started coming up with tickets and going to some of the games.

Reactions: feathersax and MAD
Dick Jorden. He plays from 1942-1946and would often come to our house with my two brothers who attended UT in 1945. Dick and his wife would accompany my brothers and their families on some weekends and I respected him because he was an athlete just as my brothers were. I don't remember much about his abilities, but I do remember at meals, Mother would put a quart of milk by his plate instead of a glass of milk. At that time, it was whole milk and the cream would come to the top and he would have to shake the bottle to mix the cream and the milk.

Reactions: WillisWG and MAD
This is obscure as it can be. I was a little kid and my Dad took my brother and I to the Tennessee Army game in 1965. There was a defensive player named Jerry Smith. I'm not even sure he was great, but for some reason, I thought he was cool. I was 8 years old. There were All Americans on this team, Paul Neumoff (sp?), but Jerry Smith wasn't one of them. Jerry Smith returned punts and played defense. By the way, that game was the first time they ran through the T. We sat in Section K

1671402291016.png

Reactions: MAD
I loved Peerless Price when I was a kid. I thought he had a cool name. Marcus Nash, Joey Kent, and Big John Henderson were all players I tried to keep my eyes on during the games. The first player I really remember caring about was James “Little Man” Stewart. I was prob 7 years old and finally started understanding the game and I used to love when he would jump over the line into the end zone for a BIG ORANGE TD!

Reactions: ptcarter and MAD
He wore my favorite number and ended up being drafted by my favorite NFL team.
rsdemamhlrhcgpbzd1he

*honorable mention to Tommy Frazier.

225764.0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD

VN Store

Back