Who do you want in a bowl?

I don't know what the possibilities or how to start a poll but...let's talk ! Who do you want for a bowl game? (Of course this is assuming we win out)

Yeah, still got a little way to go to start worrying about a bowl. Not sure what to expect with Mo. but I feel our defense will need to be the difference against a Vandy team that can play defense, until like we have been in the past, just run out of gas.

Reactions: tbh
Texas, K-State, USC, Miami, Boston College, or Washington are my top choices that are realistic as of now. Add TCU, Washington St., and Stanford to the list if they finish out strong and become bowl eligible.

Don't want another Big 10 team. Such a bore.

Gave you a like based on your last two sentences. Texas or USC may be a little reach for us just yet. (if you want a big % chance of winning)

Reactions: Carp
I don't really care but the bowl tie-ins to me are ridiculous. Put the best matchups together for TV and get rid of the tie-ins. It's already watered down enough with the playoff now. Makes sense too me to put the best matchups possible together.

This is part of the problem with college football bowls now days. Too may matchups for TV. Bowl games should be about fun and seeing how your team/conference stacks up against other teams/conferences where a good time can be had by all. (live and on TV a bowl matching a far west team with far east team is TV only for most fans) The only "blood" bowls are the play-off bowls for the National Championship.

Michigan or Texas. I don’t wanna play Iowa or Indiana. We would blow them out and give ourselves false confidence for next season lol

That's exactly what we need. A beat down of Indiana or Iowa. Help in recruiting as well. Then don't poop the bed to start next year against weak oppenents and play oklahoma tough.. coukd be some good momentum

Last edited:
First they need to be eligible to play in a bowl. I am not saying that it's not going to happen. I just believe the team has closer challenges at hand before then. With that said, I don't know that UT is ready for Michigan or Texas for that matter. I am leaning toward TCU caliber team. I want them to win to keep the confidence and momentum going. In other words get in, win, don't get injured and get home!

Reactions: preacherwebb
We win out, give me Michigan in the Gator Bowl. I think Michigan will lose a couple more and with Minnesota, Wisc, Penn, OSU ranked ahead of them it would set up nicely! Plus, UM is a Blue Blood and any reason to talk S*** to their fan base, I am all for because they have been high on Harbaugh and frankly I am tired of hearing his name!

Well these are the choices:

Outback, Taxslayer, Music City, Belk with outside shot at Liberty if we finish 6-6, but not likely to fall to that lame bowl because we travel so well.

We could play any of the following realisitically:

Wake Forest - zzzz
Florida St - would be fun to destroy them
Louisville - zzzz
Boston College - zzzz
NC State - zzzz
Virginia - ehhh
Virgina Tech - always fun to beat this overrated program
Pitt - would rather wait till our OOC matchup
Miami - would be fun to beat them
UNC - avenge the 2010 BS bowl loss
Duke - zzzz

Texas - Would be an awesome matchup
Okla St - overrated program, boring
Kansas St - would be great to get revenge for Cotton Bowl
Iowa St - zzzz
TCU - would be fun matchup
Texas Tech - zzzz

Indiana - zzzz
Michigan - my favorite matchup, beating them again would be great
Mich St - have never played them before, would be interesting
Minnesota - overrated but would be a fun matchup
Wisconsin - always overrated, but fun to beat
Illinois - never played them before, their best team in 25 years
Iowa - boring because we own them, but always fun to beat
Nebraska - tie up the series

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I do see the advantageous side to a marquee matchup like UT versus Michigan or Texas. 2 all-time greats squaring up.

But the reality is we'd be facing a Michigan team that is several years ahead of us in their rebuild. They absolutely destroyed a decent ND team. We do *not* want to catch Michigan. They have a great defense and a good enough offense to probably beat us by 14-21. Think UK, but with a QB that can throw. We'd lose 34-14 or somewhere around there IMO.

Texas would be a better matchup, but not by much. They have a much better offense and I don't like our chances in a shoot-out as we are wildly inconsistent on Offense.

I know our brand isn't there historically, but we need a bowl win like nobody's business. We're at an Indiana/Illinois level.

Also, a point no one is speaking of:
lack of scolly players. much less experience
we just don't have enough "men" to hang with Mich. or for that matter Texas just yet.

Well these are the choices:

Outback, Taxslayer, Music City, Belk with outside shot at Liberty if we finish 6-6, but not likely to fall to that lame bowl because we travel so well.

We could play any of the following realisitically:

Wake Forest - zzzz
Florida St - would be fun to destroy them
Louisville - zzzz
Boston College - zzzz
NC State - zzzz
Virginia - ehhh
Virgina Tech - always fun to beat this overrated program
Pitt - would rather wait till our OOC matchup
Miami - would be fun to beat them
UNC - avenge the 2010 BS bowl loss
Duke - zzzz

Texas - Would be an awesome matchup
Okla St - overrated program, boring
Kansas St - would be great to get revenge for Cotton Bowl
Iowa St - zzzz
TCU - would be fun matchup
Texas Tech - zzzz

Indiana - zzzz
Michigan - my favorite matchup, beating them again would be great
Mich St - have never played them before, would be interesting
Minnesota - overrated but would be a fun matchup
Wisconsin - always overrated, but fun to beat
Illinois - never played them before, their best team in 25 years
Iowa - boring because we own them, but always fun to beat
Nebraska - tie up the series

my top 10 opponents would be:
1. Texas
2. Michigan
3. Florida St
4. Miami
5. Michigan St
6. Illinois
7. Kansas St
8. Nebraska
9. TCU
10. Minnesota

Lot of people in here are either severely underestimating Michigan/Texas, severely overestimating UT or simply want to lose in the post-season.

We've beaten 4-6 USC (who will probably finish 4-8), 4-5 Kentucky (probably 6-6) and 4-5 Mississippi State (5-7 or 6-6) and we've lost to UGA/Bama 78-27. People in here are puffing their chest out way too soon.

Why in the world are we so cocky? We've beaten nobody... only 1 team has a legit chance to even have a .500 record (Miss State could lose to Ole Miss). I remember how cocky everyone was in 2009 when we went into Atlanta against a team that definitely outclassed us.

9-3 Virginia Tech beat the doors off of us 37-14 and outgained us by almost 200 yards. Playing Michigan would be the 2009 Chic-Fil-A bowl all over again.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
I somehow don't think Minnie Soda is overrated.... We beat them back in the day in the Liberty Bowl but they are much tougher today.. And with Northwestern, Wisconsin and Iowa remaining on their schedule, they could easily win out and go undefeated.

Miami or Florida State would be a good matchup for us if for nothing else but product association in the recruiting talent rich state of Florida...

Epstein did not kill himself.

GO VOLS!!!

serveimage

Last edited:
Gave you a like based on your last two sentences. Texas or USC may be a little reach for us just yet. (if you want a big % chance of winning)

I just want to see a good game vs a quality opponent that also travels well. Our last 2 bowl games were snooze fests and neither team traveled well.

I just want to see a good game vs a quality opponent that also travels well. Our last 2 bowl games were snooze fests and neither team traveled well.
Tennessee's beatings of Northwestern and Nebraska were very interesting! I love seeing Tennessee beat the hell out of an opponent.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Tennessee's beatings of Northwestern and Nebraska were very interesting! I love seeing Tennessee beat the hell out of an opponent.

Nebraska? Guessing you mean Iowa?

I stopped watching at half time against Iowa, and about midway through the 3rd quarter on Northwestern. Neither Iowa or Northwestern were doing much of anything.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I will take anyone, anywhere. Just want any bowl and those extra practices.

And I really want these seniors to leave with a bowl game. Those that stuck around really deserve an awesome send off. They are leaving this team better than when they arrived and deserve to enjoy their labors.

VN Store

Back