Who do you want in a bowl?

I don't know what the possibilities or how to start a poll but...let's talk ! Who do you want for a bowl game? (Of course this is assuming we win out)

Just to explain, the tier/grouping of bowls that UT would pretty much be likely to play in is what some had initially called the "Pool of 6" bowls of SEC tie-ins. They are as follows (in no particular order):

• Taxslayer Gator Bowl vs ACC/Big Ten (it has to be Big 10 this year; the bowl's contract makes it so that it has to host 3 ACC and 3 Big 10 teams over a designated 6 year period, and it's already hosted all 3 ACC teams)
  • Music City Bowl vs Big Ten/ACC (it has to be ACC this year; like the Gator bowl, the contract is to host 3 ACC and 3 Big 10 teams over a designated 6 year period, and it's already hosted all 3 Big 10 teams)
  • Belk Bowl vs ACC
  • Outback Bowl vs Big Ten
  • Texas Bowl vs Big 12
  • Liberty Bowl vs Big 12

It's essentially a pool since the SEC renegotiated all the bowl contracts in 2014. Whereas it used to just be a simple "standings based on overall season records," the selection process now goes through a combination of the schools, bowls, and SEC offices, as described in some quotes below from articles when the system first began (so, just to note, these descriptions come from the first year of the current setup):

Following the Capital One Bowl, there will be a pool of six bowls comprised of renewals with the Outback Bowl in Tampa (vs. Big Ten), Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl in Nashville (vs. ACC/Big Ten), TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl in Jacksonville (vs. ACC/Big Ten) and AutoZone Liberty Bowl in Memphis (vs. Big 12), as well as new agreements with the Texas Bowl in Houston (vs. Big 12) and Belk Bowl in Charlotte (vs. ACC).

In consultation with SEC member institutions, as well as these six bowls, the conference will make the assignments for the bowl games in this newly created pool system.

"This bowl process gives us the best opportunity to address several issues that impact SEC fans, including the creation of intriguing matchups, the accommodation of travel for fans, reduced ticket obligations for our schools and a variety of assignments to help prevent repetitive postseason destinations," said Slive.

Next the SEC will assign six schools to a block of six different bowls. Those bowls will each turn in a list of SEC teams that they want. The SEC's schools will each turn in a list of bowls trips that they desire. The conference office will then try to match up the bowls' wishes with its schools' wishes while creating interesting matchups. In other words, 90% of the fans in the SEC will be screaming that Mike Slive shivved them come next week.

[...]Keep in mind, the SEC office will be looking for fresh matchups while trying to keep the bowls and its schools happy. So it's unlikely Slive and crew will simply assign teams based on record.

This will the first year of the SECs so-called Pool of Six. After the CFP and Citrus make their selections, the SEC league office will decide its SEC participants for six bowls: Outback, Belk, Liberty, Music City, Texas and Taxslayer. There is no pecking order within these six and no significant differences between payouts, Womack said.

We'll certainly have discussions with the bowls on which teams they have interest in, Womack said. Well certainly have discussions with our institutions about which bowls they would have an interest in. But at the end of the day, the conference will make the decision as to how those teams would be placed in those six bowls.

Womack said SEC commissioner Mike Slive and his staff will make the final decisions about which bowls those six teams will play. What factors will the SEC take into account? The league will look to avoid regular-season rematches and rematches from recent bowl games.

If you get into a situation where you get several teams that would have interest in the same bowl, you'd start to look at geography, regular-season rematches records and head-to-head (results) and those type of things, Womack said. All of those elements would be factored into the placement of the Pool of Six by the conference.

SEC bowl lineup has new look (one of the original articles on the matter)

I didn’t think the SEC and PAC12 shared a bowl agreement just yet. It‘s ridiculous that we don’t, but i don’t think we can play a PAC12 team without it being a CFP or NY6 game until next year.

Correct, at the moment there is not one. I always guessed it was a distance thing.

Starting in 2020 - once Allegiant Stadium is completed, the Las Vegas Bowl will become a matchup featuring a Pac-12 team playing either a Big Ten or SEC team each bowl season.

College Football Bowl Game Changes to Begin in 2020 - Stadium

The Las Vegas Bowl
In 2020, the Las Vegas Bowl moves from UNLV’s Sam Boyd Stadium to the new Las Vegas NFL stadium. In the course of the six-year deal, the SEC and Big Ten will each make three appearances against the Pac-12 in the Las Vegas Bowl. It’s expected to be either the third or fourth Pac-12 team after the Rose and Alamo Bowls are filled. It’s unknown what selection the SEC and Big Ten would send from their respective conference.

This will mark the first Pac-12 and SEC non-playoff bowl matchup since the 1989 Freedom Bowl. The Pac-12 currently plays bowl games against each of the Power 5 conferences except for the SEC. The two conferences have played in only nine non-College Football Playoff/New Year’s 6 bowls.

Edit: Sorry, it looks like you had already beat me to that information. My bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I do see the advantageous side to a marquee matchup like UT versus Michigan or Texas. 2 all-time greats squaring up.

But the reality is we'd be facing a Michigan team that is several years ahead of us in their rebuild. They absolutely destroyed a decent ND team. We do *not* want to catch Michigan. They have a great defense and a good enough offense to probably beat us by 14-21. Think UK, but with a QB that can throw. We'd lose 34-14 or somewhere around there IMO.

Texas would be a better matchup, but not by much. They have a much better offense and I don't like our chances in a shoot-out as we are wildly inconsistent on Offense.

I know our brand isn't there historically, but we need a bowl win like nobody's business. We're at an Indiana/Illinois level.

Selfishly, I'd like to play Texas in the Liberty Bowl/Wake Forest in the Music City Bowl/Virginia Tech in the Belk Bowl given the dates of these games and how easily I could wrap a bowl trip into a long weekend/New Year's Eve and fly back home on New Year's Day.

For the sake of the program, I'd like to play Wisconsin in the Gator Bowl or Outback Bowl.

In all likelihood, these two would be flipped in such a situation. For selection/placement purposes, the ACC treats the Music City/Gator Bowl, Belk Bowl, Hyundai Sun Bowl, and New Era Pinstripe Bowl where the conference will work with the bowls and other conferences to create the most desirable bowl match-ups. If Wake Forest does end up in this tier level...given the ACC's involvement to place it into the right bowl and its small size...I have trouble seeing the ACC not placing Wake in nearby Charlotte at the Belk Bowl so the smaller fanbase will likely have a higher turnout from not having to to travel as far.

I just want a W over Mizzou and Vandy....and to finish 7-5 in order to win the hearts and minds of recruits for the early signing period.
Winning a bowl game and finishing 8-5 could easily be sold as what shoulda been a 10 win season and silence some of the negative recruiting about our program.

GO VOLS!

I don’t think we want Michigan, I just don‘t. There are far too many negatives to playing them than positives. Michigan showed up uninspired last year versus Florida, they don‘t want to lose to another SEC team that they regularly battle on the recruiting trail. I have a suspicion Harbaugh hates Tennessee and wouldn’t allow them to overlook us. The fact is that even though they are underachieving their best is a lot better than our best.

Step 1...Stomp Misery.

Step 2...Totally destroy the Vandy Commode doors!!!

Step 3...Make the most of the 15 extra and badly needed practice days.

Step 4...Get to a decent bowl game and then totally dominate them to send our Seniors out the right way and to help recruiting to take the next step in rebuilding our player roster.

Step 5...Recruit like crazy and fill our team needs with top quality, high impact players!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

Texas 100% The real UT bowl! That would be a nice storyline and we could take them.
2D82FFE9-556D-4E9F-A59C-9455E561C717.jpeg
tenor.gif

Wow...People wanting Texas and Michigan when we can't even beat Georgia St...We are getting better folks but damn we aren't at THAT level yet...Both those team would smash us...I'd rather us take on Indiana or Illinois...A win over them would give us confidence going into next season...Getting destroyed by Michigan or Texas could deflate what is being built...We need a WIN to save and maybe even sway some recruits.

Just to explain, the tier/grouping of bowls that UT would pretty much be likely to play in is what some had initially called the "Pool of 6" bowls of SEC tie-ins. They are as follows (in no particular order):

• Taxslayer Gator Bowl vs ACC/Big Ten (it has to be Big 10 this year; the bowl's contract makes it so that it has to host 3 ACC and 3 Big 10 teams over a designated 6 year period, and it's already hosted all 3 ACC teams)
  • Music City Bowl vs Big Ten/ACC (it has to be ACC this year; like the Gator bowl, the contract is to host 3 ACC and 3 Big 10 teams over a designated 6 year period, and it's already hosted all 3 Big 10 teams)
  • Belk Bowl vs ACC
  • Outback Bowl vs Big Ten
  • Texas Bowl vs Big 12
  • Liberty Bowl vs Big 12

It's essentially a pool since the SEC renegotiated all the bowl contracts in 2014. Whereas it used to just be a simple "standings based on overall season records," the selection process now goes through a combination of the schools, bowls, and SEC offices, as described in some quotes below from articles when the system first began (so, just to note, these descriptions come from the first year of the current setup):

SEC bowl lineup has new look (one of the original articles on the matter)
Wow I fell asleep...how about Michigan or Texas!?

VN Store

Back