Who’s the new starter

I don’t know what happened......however I find it hard to believe “Barnes ran them off” when at the end of the day.....and after everything was settled.....there was still an open spot.

Yea surely at least one of them “should” have stayed as they would have been given a big opportunity. Heck both would have had an opportunity.
I have know idea, occasionally u hear rumors like that, but if they wanted it bad enough, they would have took the hard coaching and grabbed their chance when they had it. Imo, if Barnes ran them off, it was because they didn't realize what they signed up for and didn't take advantage of the opportunity that they had. Barnes is kinda like Bobby Knight (without the cussing), u can either handle and thrive under their coaching or not. Isiah Thomas could handle Bobby Knight, Larry Bird could NOT

Reactions: JoAllan
Not disagreeing but you have to have someone who can draw them......and Turner did it well, he led the team in free attempts.

Gaines leads the team in fouls taken per minutes played. That will help some......but no one knew how to get easy ones like Turner, especially when his shooting got bad (he found a way to score....and it was by getting fouled).

I hope that JJJ can learn the move where Turner stopped on a dime and a trailing defender would fall into him for a foul. A friend of mine said it was bush, but I always liked it. It's not like a flop where he's trying to deceive the refs. He was taking advantage of out of control defenders. But JJJ is probably too big to be effective with that move. They'd just bounce off of him. I bet that Vescovi already has it in his repertoire.

Reactions: JoAllan
I hope that JJJ can learn the move where Turner stopped on a dime and a trailing defender would fall into him for a foul. A friend of mine said it was bush, but I always liked it. It's not like a flop where he's trying to deceive the refs. He was taking advantage of out of control defenders. But JJJ is probably too big to be effective with that move. They'd just bounce off of him. I bet that Vescovi already has it in his repertoire.

Yes

And over the past 4 or 5 games or so He did it a lot.......free easy fouls, and at certain times in the game.....free easy points.

Gaines also gets fouled a lot. Not sure why....maybe it’s his long arms, maybe because he is fearless....I don’t know.......however never underestimate that part of the game as well.

With Turner gone there goest a lot of their free throw attempts. Gaines gets fouled more often than anyone on the team (per minutes played).....Tennessee will need some of Turners foul shots.

This is part of the reason I think Gaines should get lot's of minutes now. I don't know if he or olivier should start, but both need to be allowed to get a bunch more on-the-job training. It's a year early for both, but we now have no choice.

Whatever the rotation becomes, we can take the positive look. The SEC schedule is lighter on the front end, hopefully giving a little time for development.

Whatever the rotation becomes, we can take the positive look. The SEC schedule is lighter on the front end, hopefully giving a little time for development.

I agree the front end is easier, however the very next two games are Wisconsin and LSU....both looked to be tough even with Turner (hey they were certainly winnable at home, but....tough).

Then you got Missouri, SC, Georgia and Vandy........all of those look good enough.....however all of them except the SC game will be on the road.

I know it may not seem like a juggernaut but for a team searching for it’s offensive identity, losing their point guard, and now relying heavily on a true freshman.......maybe two of them.........getting 3 wins in that stretch may be tough.

Hey......I’m hopeful of 4 or 5........but looking at it realistically.........3 will be very tough.

I don't think some realize what we just lost until you answer this question. You move your best rebounder to the hardest position to learn under Barnes and then have to fill the position he vacated. Who will it be. Johnson or Gaines. Or do you move Pons to the 3 and play ON in his spot. Sorry, I don't see a bright future.
We’re one injury away from playing walk ons

One thing that helps with this scenario is that there would still be a dedicated “relief” person for the guards and the “bigs”.....and it would leave Pember to be able to relieve 3-5.....maybe even the 2 in a desperate situation.
Pember is not ready. He will get pushed around like a rag doll in SEC play

Last edited:
I'm in freaked out mode and I'll have a jitter in my heartbeat until we play the next 2 games. We're really starting over mid season with a freshman PG. I see 10+ drop in point production and a rise by who knows what in points allowed at least for the next 2 games.

Average minutes per game is actually how I feel it will fall for the most part'
Here are average min. 2019
ORN= 15.2
Gaines= 11.2
JJohn = 09.9
Pemb = 07.8
Fesch= 02.0
Jancz= 01.7

Reactions: sport3500
The new starter won't be an accomplished ball-handler, whoever he is. We were already being given fits with full-court pressure before LT's exit - we're going to see tons of it now.

And the pressure on JJJ and Bowden not to pick up early fouls...whoa. Barnes used to sit players with 2 1st-half fouls....those days are gone.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Agree with Pember

I wouldn’t look for Vescovi to get much time very soon at all (unless there are some blowouts). He will have to learn the system (as this is very much a system team) and learn defense.

I think that most of us know that we are not going to win the SEC title, either regular season or SEC tournament, or the NCAA tournament; so my questions is why would we want to risk playing Vescovi, and ruin his confidence. I think we need to redshirt him, and give him time to get comfortable with his team mates. That's my two cents, and I want my change back, please.

I sure hope TV Teddy Valentine isn't calling any more games. It's going to be extremely disruptive when ANYBODY gets into foul trouble.

proverbial thorn in our side...geez, I thought he was done...oh, hell, if he's still calling games, we are done for...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

proverbial thorn in our side...geez, I thought he was done...oh, hell, if he's still calling games, we are done for...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!
He called our loss vs. Cincinnati I think. We typically lose 75% of the games TD calls

As long as it's an 8-man rotation I don't think that the named starter really matters. We should see every possible combination on the court and whichever matchups work best on any night will determine the distribution of minutes of that night. I think we've had all 4 freshman on the court together already... certainly we have had 3 of them together.
We've actually had 4 a couple of times, but obviously not long stretches. I believe that from the start of practice through now that Barnes has looked at every conceivable comnibation imaginable at practice.

We've actually had 4 a couple of times, but obviously not long stretches. I believe that from the start of practice through now that Barnes has looked at every conceivable comnibation imaginable at practice.
Have to rewatch, but pretty sure that's what triggered the 7 minute scoring drought yesterday and didn't restabilize until the starters were back on the floor.

Reactions: cardvolfan
How the hell did Rick Barnes not take a point guard in the last class? Turner wasn't a PG and now we're without him, barring a miracle I think we're in for a long season.

Pember is not ready. He will get pushed around like a rag doll in SEC play

No one is expecting him to be the new starter; however like it or not......ready or not......he will be providing “relief.”

Tennessee currently has a starting 5 and 3 backups.....and then a few walk on’s......that is all on the entire “eligible” roster.

That means (if the new starter is Gaines or Johnson) Tennessee will have one back up for the guards (1-3) and 1 back up for the “bigs” (4&5), and Pember who WILL provide “relief” for the 3-5.........he already has been, just now it will be more.......again, ready or not.

VN Store

Back