Who’s the new starter

I honestly don’t know who is the “most ready.” One would thin Johnson is......however he doesn’t look like it to me.

If he becomes the starter, then it’s probably down to he was simply the “most ready.”

I say on paper Oliver makes the most sense. Then you have (1-5) James, Bowden, Pons, Oliver and Fulk.....but that leaves Pember as really the only “relief” for Oliver and Fulk, and of he is their only relief not sure he could provide time for the 3.

I say Gaines (if he is ready which I don’t know) because that would leave Johnson and Pember to relieve 1-3, and Oliver and Pember to relieve Pons and Fulk.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I don't think some realize what we just lost until you answer this question. You move your best rebounder to the hardest position to learn under Barnes and then have to fill the position he vacated. Who will it be. Johnson or Gaines. Or do you move Pons to the 3 and play ON in his spot. Sorry, I don't see a bright future.

Varies game to game. Versus Wisconsin might want O(R)N's size. On the road might want JJ since he's older.

Also, the roster goes from 8 to 9 on January 11th when Vescovi is available.

Least likely starter, IMO, is Pember.

Agree with Pember

I wouldn’t look for Vescovi to get much time very soon at all (unless there are some blowouts). He will have to learn the system (as this is very much a system team) and learn defense.

I don't think some realize what we just lost until you answer this question. You move your best rebounder to the hardest position to learn under Barnes and then have to fill the position he vacated. Who will it be. Johnson or Gaines. Or do you move Pons to the 3 and play ON in his spot. Sorry, I don't see a bright future.

AGREE

Several people wanted Turner to be on the bench......now they get their wish.....but he ain’t even coming off the bench now.

His defense, ball handling, and decisions will be greatly missed.

And now not only will his contributions be missed, but it effects a lot of other stuff. Like you said James’s game will have to be different......and so will whoever replaces his spot......not to mention Tennessee was already down on depth.

Now someone will be starting.....and their D will be no where near what Turner brought.

I'd love to hear CRB's thoughts on Vescovi. But continuing to say publicly that Vescovi is extremely unlikely to play is the right approach, especially if he's already decided that he absolutely will be playing. Secret weapon.

I don’t have a clue if they were expecting him to play or not.....or if they wanted him to or not........but I bet he plays now.

Although I think it takes a while before he plays meaningful minutes.

(Also I don’t bet for realz, but just pretend bet)

As long as it's an 8-man rotation I don't think that the named starter really matters. We should see every possible combination on the court and whichever matchups work best on any night will determine the distribution of minutes of that night. I think we've had all 4 freshman on the court together already... certainly we have had 3 of them together.

I’d move Johnson to the 3, play him 25-30 minutes the next couple of games and pray the light comes on. Maybe he can get a rhythm and help space the floor

If this happens, would prob be the best option that could happen.

You still got “relief” for everyone, and he certainly “knows” the system.

Reactions: tbones0711
I think you might see a walk on play a bit if serious foul trouble occurs at some point.

Yea, if Tennessee gets into foul trouble, they will be in deep trouble.

I also agree, they may not “need” to play valuable minutes, but given circumstances they “could” have to.

If this happens, would prob be the best option that could happen.

You still got “relief” for everyone, and he certainly “knows” the system.

Maybe he plays more and finds a rhythm. Maybe running a couple plays for him gives him confidence. You can hide him enough on defense. That’s really you’re best shot.

Maybe he plays more and finds a rhythm. Maybe running a couple plays for him gives him confidence. You can hide him enough on defense. That’s really you’re best shot.

I agree

This would be the best......as it would still leave Oliver to sub 4-5, leave Gaines to sub 1-3, and Pember to sub 3-5.

VN Store

Back