Who’s the new starter

I don't think some realize what we just lost until you answer this question. You move your best rebounder to the hardest position to learn under Barnes and then have to fill the position he vacated. Who will it be. Johnson or Gaines. Or do you move Pons to the 3 and play ON in his spot. Sorry, I don't see a bright future.
Maybe not. But they will persevere someway. In light of what we lost from last year's departures, it was never going to be bright this particular year. But next year with the incoming stars, things will look very bright again for the future. We just need guys like Nkamhoue, Gaines, Pember and James to continue their development and experience. Those guys can provide the base for next year's freshmen to build on. What they accomplish this year will lay the groundwork. We will be back in the hunt for a championship with next season's 2 five stars and a four star and the nation's 4th ranked class.

You don't think we have enough guys throwing up bricks from the perimeter already?

What’s one more? And someone has to make up for some of the shots which “would” have been taken by Turner.

Also I’m fairly sure Fulk is shooting 0% from 3.....via not shooting any. If he misses no harm no foul......just make sure it’s not in the last seconds when Tennessee is down by 3 or less.

I believe as well that Pons staying at 4 is best. His ability to Elevate as lefty makes him a difficult cover. But he will play some 3 as well. Gaines is my guess as to who. Starts

That use to infuriate me when Kyle would pass up an open shoot at the top of the key. I knew he could shoot them and even if he squared up and let one fly, it would at least give the defense some thought about packing it in down low.

He was 43% from 3 last year (Alexander)

I’m confident if Fulk ever does jack one up his career % will be 0% or 100%......likely 0.

Still want to see it!

I'm changing my guess to Johnson. It takes pressure off of a freshman and I think that he might have actually started the exhibition game.

Um we don’t have that luxury. Ballers ball. If this kid has it, we will find out right away

I agree they don’t and “ballers” do, but Tennessee runs a different motion type of O.......which requires the point to understand a LOT, while being able to distribute while making good decisions......this ain’t some Kentucky school yard offense.

Tennessee needs him for sure......but I highly doubt we will see him play very many meaningful minutes for a while.

If he can’t play D he won’t get on the floor (unless the game is decided).......and he can’t help the O, if he don’t know it.

I believe as well that Pons staying at 4 is best. His ability to Elevate as lefty makes him a difficult cover. But he will play some 3 as well. Gaines is my guess as to who. Starts
Pons is not changing positions other than maybe a minute or two a game. He is just flat out better at the 4 and we don't have enough post players as it is.

Reactions: walkenvol
Varies game to game. Versus Wisconsin might want O(R)N's size. On the road might want JJ since he's older.

Also, the roster goes from 8 to 9 on January 11th when Vescovi is available.

Least likely starter, IMO, is Pember.

I agree with this, unless someone really starts to stand out above the others. I would put Gaines above Johnson though. He is going to have to prove a lot before he gets my vote (What do you mean, my vote doesn't count?!).

Not understanding those dismissing Pember - good things tend to happen when he’s playing.

I guess Gaines will move into the starting role at the 3. The boat has sailed on Johnson unfortunately. Throw the 4 freshmen into the fire and hopefully they will develop. IMHO

Not understanding those dismissing Pember - good things tend to happen when he’s playing.

I guess Gaines will move into the starting role at the 3. The boat has sailed on Johnson unfortunately. Throw the 4 freshmen into the fire and hopefully they will develop. IMHO
2 games now where Barnes said the game was too physical for Pember. I think he'll be pretty good once he gets stronger.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I agree they don’t and “ballers” do, but Tennessee runs a different motion type of O.......which requires the point to understand a LOT, while being able to distribute while making good decisions......this ain’t some Kentucky school yard offense.

Tennessee needs him for sure......but I highly doubt we will see him play very many meaningful minutes for a while.

If he can’t play D he won’t get on the floor (unless the game is decided).......and he can’t help the O, if he don’t know it.

And a good coach will adjust his gameplan based on what he has available. I’m not saying Barnes is gonna scrap everything but our offense going forward isn’t gonna be typical Barnes/UT either.

And a good coach will adjust his gameplan based on what he has available. I’m not saying Barnes is gonna scrap everything but our offense going forward isn’t gonna be typical Barnes/UT either.

Barnes could certainly adjust tempo and such.....but other than personal the O isn’t going to change much. Eight players have learned and play “this” O......there not going to change anything now simply because Turner is gone.......or because some freshman will be coming......who they don’t even know can contribute (meaningful time) right now.

The O may look ugly for a while (I don’t know) but it ain’t changing.......it’s not like switching from man to a 3-2 zone, for a game or minutes of a game.

Hey I could be wrong, I doubt I am, but we will see.

Barnes could certainly adjust tempo and such.....but other than personal the O isn’t going to change much. Eight players have learned and play “this” O......there not going to change anything now simply because Turner is gone.......or because some freshman will be coming......who they don’t even know can contribute (meaningful time) right now.

The O may look ugly for a while (I don’t know) but it ain’t changing.......it’s not like switching from man to a 3-2 zone, for a game or minutes of a game.

Hey I could be wrong, I doubt I am, but we will see.

I mean I’m not arguing but I always thought this year was gonna be around a 20 win season where we wind up ahead of bubble teams. That was with a healthy team. Not sure what happens now with the injury and Uros being out still

Not singling you out, just my impression of several on the forum inferring Pember’s of no use. His length appears to make things happen at times. Agreed he needs to add strength to become more impactful. I see potential there to become a starter eventually

I mean I’m not arguing but I always thought this year was gonna be around a 20 win season where we wind up ahead of bubble teams. That was with a healthy team. Not sure what happens now with the injury and Uros being out still

I’m still hopeful, but also realistic.......17 wins will be very, hard.

Tennessee is losing their only point guard, their best defender, 12+ points, 7+ assists, and everything else......not to mention the person who runs the motion offense.

Tennessee will now replace with a true freshman, and his spot will probably be replaced by another true freshman. The O can’t be quickly replaced (from a 5th year senior to a true freshman), and the D will take even longer to replace.......basically.......it ain’t getting replaced “this year.”

Things could happen and maybe other teams struggle and Tennessee improves.......but what all Turner gave......simply isn’t getting replaced.

Reactions: walkenvol
Gaines looked pretty good against Jacksonville state. Definitely think the future is bright next year we should be very good if the incoming freshman and our two we are gaining for next year from redshirts we could be loaded. I think this year a run to the tournament will be nice but we lack a good shooter to stretch the floor. Bowden is good but very streaky. We just don’t have the scoring or defense we look like the team w grant and admiral from 2 years ago when we couldn’t score for 7 mins or longer but the difference is we aren’t no where near as good on defense. Hopefully pones sticks around next year and we could be a top 5 team.

Not singling you out, just my impression of several on the forum inferring Pember’s of no use. His length appears to make things happen at times. Agreed he needs to add strength to become more impactful. I see potential there to become a starter eventually
I agree. Pember is a big boned kid, I think he'll grow into his frame pretty quickly. He's aggressive as well, he should be a really good player by his Jr/Sr seasons. Sadly right now any time Pember, Gaines, Johnson are in the paint or trapped aggressively their lack of strength shows up generally in a turnover or lost rebound.

For Gains you hope that being thrust into the moment he rises to the challenge and plays better than expected. It can happen we will see. I would say this about Johnson but three years is enough to know that he doesn't have this in him. I hope I am wrong though.

Reactions: JoAllan
Some walk on with an ounce of grit would probably be an upgrade over Johnson at this point. I guess he is gonna have to play some though.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I’m still hopeful, but also realistic.......17 wins will be very, hard.

Tennessee is losing their only point guard, their best defender, 12+ points, 7+ assists, and everything else......not to mention the person who runs the motion offense.

Tennessee will now replace with a true freshman, and his spot will probably be replaced by another true freshman. The O can’t be quickly replaced (from a 5th year senior to a true freshman), and the D will take even longer to replace.......basically.......it ain’t getting replaced “this year.”

Things could happen and maybe other teams struggle and Tennessee improves.......but what all Turner gave......simply isn’t getting replaced.

Sure. But Lamonte wasn’t a big producer of points this year so far anyway. The leadership is what we will miss the most from Turner. Not the production

Reactions: Willy14
proverbial thorn in our side...geez, I thought he was done...oh, hell, if he's still calling games, we are done for...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Teddy V for TV called the technical flop on LT, he called a 10 second violation on us bringing up court went back and watched/timed he called it at 8 seconds. Those are 2 , I remember that really hurt us and could have been difference between W & L.
I think NCAA should come down on refs acting. they did it on players flopping or acting to draw fouls. Refs being animated and trying to pose for TV should be reeled in by NCAA.
A ref should try to call the game and go unnoticed.

Last edited:
I'm changing my guess to Johnson. It takes pressure off of a freshman and I think that he might have actually started the exhibition game.

One of my favorite skits along with "The World Series of Dice"

Mickey Free says in an interview that the baskball story is true

VN Store

Back