Who’s the new starter

I agree

This would be the best......as it would still leave Oliver to sub 4-5, leave Gaines to sub 1-3, and Pember to sub 3-5.

Then hopefully Vescovi won’t have to come in and save the day. He can come off the bench.

Reactions: JoAllan
I think it will be Gaines

I’ve said Oliver (on paper) looks the best option.

I’ve said Johnson “would” be the best option......but that is if he could get it done.

I’m with you. I think it’s Gaines, because his production is simply better than Johnson (however if Johnson could get it down....I’m down for that).

Just because of where Tennessee is with their roster......it “needs” to be Gaines or Johnson.

Reactions: sport3500
I appreciate his efforts as a walk on, bit there is no need for discussion, he is not going to play check out his JUCO stats.

I didn't even know that he's not a freshman.

If he can play defense and beat traps, things that don't show up in stats (other than TOs), he'd be valuable. These are desperate times.

Then hopefully Vescovi won’t have to come in and save the day. He can come off the bench.

I certainly think he plays now.

However in Tennessee’s system it would be almost impossible for a true freshman “point guard” to come in and “get it” from day one.......now if he had all summer, it “could” be different.

Hopefully later in the season he can give good minutes.

Also if he does “HAVE to come in and save the day” Tennessee is in deep trouble......if their not already.

Reactions: tbones0711
I’d move Johnson to the 3, play him 25-30 minutes the next couple of games and pray the light comes on. Maybe he can get a rhythm and help space the floor
Why not ? Nothing else has worked. I want Gaines to start, I think he can do it all and maybe more importantly, has no fear. 6'7, 160 pounds, with that wingspan and the mentality that if "Big Ticket" can dunk on u, he will. If he can get a steal and make a 40 foot bounce pass for a lay-up, he will do that, also. Nail some pressure FTs, Ticket has done that. Balla, deserves those 25-30 minutes when JJ fails (hope not, but I expect it). Ticket has the skills and heart, now, can he make Barnes happy enough to stay on the floor for 20/25 minutes a game ?

Why not ? Nothing else has worked. I want Gaines to start, I think he can do it all and maybe more importantly, has no fear. 6'7, 160 pounds, with that wingspan and the mentality that if "Big Ticket" can dunk on u, he will. If he can get a steal and make a 40 foot bounce pass for a lay-up, he will do that, also. Nail some pressure FTs, Ticket has done that. Balla, deserves those 25-30 minutes when JJ fails (hope not, but I expect it). Ticket has the skills and heart, now, can he make Barnes happy enough to stay on the floor for 20/25 minutes a game ?

He struggles with his dribble. However he is fearless at the FT line.

I’ve said Oliver (on paper) looks the best option.

I’ve said Johnson “would” be the best option......but that is if he could get it done.

I’m with you. I think it’s Gaines, because his production is simply better than Johnson (however if Johnson could get it down....I’m down for that).

Just because of where Tennessee is with their roster......it “needs” to be Gaines or Johnson.
Yeah Johnson or Gaines. I think Gaines gets the nod

I think it will be Gaines
This seems to be the best of the two viable options. The two options I see are Gaines or Pons at the 3.
I don't think JJ should even be considered. How JJ has played lately it's like we are playing 4 on 6. He's constantly getting beat on d and he's bricking threes which can lead to fastbreaks for the other team. During the game today, I came to the conclusion that JJ should really be glued to the bench.
There are a couple of issues with Pons at the 3. First, we take him away from his strengths. With Pons at the 3 , Pons is no longer able to rim protect because he will be on the wing nor will he be able to score like he had been doing because he will be on the wing likely spotting up (most of his threes have be from top of the key). Second, without Plavsic eligble we only have Pember as the backup for the 4 and 5 (we still run into this issue with Gaines at the wing, only backup is JJ until SV gets up to speed). Barnes really has his work cut out for him with this roster right now.

Last edited:
On a side note, who would have ever thought all of this would happen, earlier this year when Tennessee was in the sweet 16.

Williams would be gone
Bone would leave for the draft
Burnes would transfer
Walker would transfer
Kent would leave
Two player would transfer to Tennessee and neither would be eligible
And then Turner would have to end his season

This is a hard one for Tennessee.

If Tennessee could somehow make the NCAA tournament.....this year would have to be the best coaching job of Barnes career......I guess we will wait and see.

I think it will look dark......but hopefully I’m wrong.

Reactions: Vols All Day
This seems to be the best of the two viable options. The two options I see are Gaines or Pons at the 3. I don't think JJ should even be considered. How JJ has played lately it's like we are playing 4 on 6. He's constantly getting beat on d and he's bricking threes which can lead to fastbreaks for the other team. During the game today, I came to the conclusion that JJ should really be glued to the bench.
There are a couple of issues with Pons at the 3. First, we take him away from his strengths. With Pons at the 3 , Pons is no longer able to rim protect because he will be on the wing nor will he be able to score like he had been doing because he will be on the wing spotting up. Second, without Plavsic eligble we only have Pember as the backup for the 4 and 5 (we still run into this issue with Gaines at the wing, only backup is JJ until SV gets up to speed). Barnes really has his work cut out for him with this roster right now.

One thing that helps with this scenario is that there would still be a dedicated “relief” person for the guards and the “bigs”.....and it would leave Pember to be able to relieve 3-5.....maybe even the 2 in a desperate situation.

On a side note, who would have ever thought all of this would happen, earlier this year when Tennessee was in the sweet 16.

Williams would be gone
Burnes would transfer
Walker would transfer
Kent would leave

If Tennessee could somehow make the NCAA tournament.....this year would have to be the best coaching job of Barnes career......I guess we will wait and see.

Man, I still don't understand why Burns snd Walker transferred when they were "NEXT". It was their time and they ran from it or Barnes ran them off

Gaines also gets fouled a lot. Not sure why....maybe it’s his long arms, maybe because he is fearless....I don’t know.......however never underestimate that part of the game as well.

With Turner gone there goest a lot of their free throw attempts. Gaines gets fouled more often than anyone on the team (per minutes played).....Tennessee will need some of Turners foul shots.

Reactions: The Dog

Williams would be gone
Burnes would transfer
Walker would transfer
Kent would leave

And there'd be a player in the rotation from Finland and a player added to the roster from Uraguay. And another from West Knoxville. Actually maybe 2 of those had already committed or signed.

You said that he can "do it all".
He rebounds, scores, passes, gets steals and blocks, yes sir. But he is no where near good enough of a ball handler or floor general to run point this time in his career. Wouldn't be surprised if Ticket ran some point as a junior and/or senior

Gaines also gets fouled a lot. Not sure why....maybe it’s his long arms, maybe because he is fearless....I don’t know.......however never underestimate that part of the game as well.

With Turner gone there goest a lot of their free throw attempts. Gaines gets fouled more often than anyone on the team (per minutes played).....Tennessee will need some of Turners foul shots.

The danger of one of ours drawing a lot of fouls is that refs always even them up. We don't have fouls to use unless 1 or more of the 3 walkons are added to the rotation.

Man, I still don't understand why Burns snd Walker transferred when they were "NEXT". It was their time and they ran from it or Barnes ran them off

I don’t know what happened......however I find it hard to believe “Barnes ran them off” when at the end of the day.....and after everything was settled.....there was still an open spot.

Yea surely at least one of them “should” have stayed as they would have been given a big opportunity. Heck both would have had an opportunity.

He rebounds, scores, passes, gets steals and blocks, yes sir. But he is no where near good enough of a ball handler or floor general to run point this time in his career. Wouldn't be surprised if Ticket ran some point as a junior and/or senior

Unless he redshirts, Bailey should still be on the roster when Ticket is a junior. There's also that 2021 PG that TN is chasing.

The danger of one of ours drawing a lot of fouls is that refs always even them up. We don't have fouls to use unless 1 or more of the 3 walkons are added to the rotation.

Not disagreeing but you have to have someone who can draw them......and Turner did it well, he led the team in free attempts.

Gaines leads the team in fouls taken per minutes played. That will help some......but no one knew how to get easy ones like Turner, especially when his shooting got bad (he found a way to score....and it was by getting fouled).

VN Store

Back