Where is this football program, in your mind?

Bottom Tier of SEC and every other power 5 right now. We had our good run but I am having my doubts that it'll ever be"back". I know I have said it before but for pure entertainment value and expense..MTSU is a hell of a lot closer and a lot more fun to watch over the last decade. I am buying season tickets next year.

Once again, Pruitt will develop his players, and we will be right there with the Bama, Georgia’s, and the Clemson’s.

Why why why another one of these threads? Pointless naval gazing. There are onky two discussions that are actually relevant right now that pertain to getting us where we need to be: recruiting and the OC search.
Agreed. The worst part is when Freak held a gun to your head and made you read the thread and also reply to it.

FO discussion police.

What bowls are vandy and kentucky playing in this year?
They both have stable coaches etc we dont. Our expectations are and should be higher than the 3, yet we are hoping to possibly get to six wins.....someday.

It took Stoops 4 years to make a bowl game. He was on the verge of being run out of Lexington. Mason come in on the heels of the 2 best years Vandy has seen in decades (both 9 win years) and followed that up with 3-9 and 4-8. He didn't make a bowl til his 3rd season and finished 6-7.

Are they more stable today? Sure. Mason just finished his 5th season. Stoops his 6th.
Pruitt won 5 games his first year following a 4 win season. Stoops and Mason combined for 5 wins their first seasons following 11 total wins combined by the guys they replaced Franklin and Phillips.

Im not sure comparing stability today is going to tell you much.

And you want to argue we are second worst so like I said earlier, great job.

I believe arkansas would beat us head to head. Secondly, the arkansas admin in not a complete disaster. They hire a solid coach with experience without a fiasco.....in the armpit pf America. We look like an episode of the 3 stooges in what should be one of the premier program in America.
Pre tenure they made a lot better hire with Bert than Chad Morris who hasn't proven anything yet either.

It is isn't it?
Absolutely. Don’t necessarily disagree with it either...just really don’t think we’re the worst program in the SEC....or really second worst either. We were one of the worst teams this year, but overall, as a program, I just don’t agree.

Absolutely. Don’t necessarily disagree with it either...just really don’t think we’re the worst program in the SEC....or really second worst either. We were one of the worst teams this year, but overall, as a program, I just don’t agree.

You are what your record says you are.

Reactions: volfannbama
Pre tenure they made a lot better hire with Bert than Chad Morris who hasn't proven anything yet either.
He has proven he can build a program from nothing. Not sure what his ceiling is but the expectations at Arkansas are not what they are at Tennessee

He has proven he can build a program from nothing. Not sure what his ceiling is but the expectations at Arkansas are not what they are at Tennessee

He stayed 3 years and got to 7 wins. You don't have to go back very far to find where they were getting 7 or 8 most every year.

Of course the expectations are different between the 2 schools. Neither have been legit in awhile either so that doesn't change what will happen to either in the short term. You can have all the expectations you want but when you re starting from the ditch you adjust them short term.

They were higher for Bert when he got there from Wisconsin coming off 3 straight Rose Bowls. He was a better hire by far based on experience and success than Morris. I'm not sure I'd beat the war drum very loud for that hire just yet.

Well, keep in mind, Johnny Majors had already won a National Championship, and was very successful, before returning to Knoxville. JP is a first-time NCAA Head Coach, and at a very Prestigious and historically respectable university. As much as I hate to say this, UT IS NOT a good place right now, for proven Coordinators. As it stands, it is really only a good place for players, who want to play, right away, and coaches/coordinators who are looking to prove themselves, like HC JP. Is there a Johnny Majors like hire out there? A UT graduate, or a Legacy hire, or someone that has ties to UT? That was the only reason I ever bought into the Gruden drama, at first.

Did I hear someone say Tee Martin? Dale Jones?
Yes. There WAS a “caretaker” who could’ve kept the program afloat, given it stability for 4-5 years until it took a step toward respectability and the next guy could be hired. But, unfortunately he now resides in Lawrence!
GBO!!

Why in God’s name would you attach video of the Twin Towers terrorist attack?[/QUOT

The towers were an inside job, kerosene won't reduce steel and concrete to 30 micron size powder, nano thermite was found to be in all the rubble and was the culprit
Building 7 was nothing more than controlled demolition
The GIF was a joke by way, not to offend

He stayed 3 years and got to 7 wins. You don't have to go back very far to find where they were getting 7 or 8 most every year.

Of course the expectations are different between the 2 schools. Neither have been legit in awhile either so that doesn't change what will happen to either in the short term. You can have all the expectations you want but when you re starting from the ditch you adjust them short term.

They were higher for Bert when he got there from Wisconsin coming off 3 straight Rose Bowls. He was a better hire by far based on experience and success than Morris. I'm not sure I'd beat the war drum very loud for that hire just yet.
Smu won 5 / 1 games prior to his arrival. The improved them to a winning season in his third season.
Secondly, what I see you saying is the admin at arkansas went out and got to coached with solid experience.

Bottom Tier of SEC and every other power 5 right now. We had our good run but I am having my doubts that it'll ever be"back". I know I have said it before but for pure entertainment value and expense..MTSU is a hell of a lot closer and a lot more fun to watch over the last decade. I am buying season tickets next year.
Well GOODBYE! GBO!!!!!!

I've followed UT since the early 70's. I've seen it rise, fall, rise, and fall again. I've cursed, alot. But, I've endured. Along the way, I've tracked the progress of other programs, as well. In my mind, the program is at the same level as a 1980's Ole Miss or Kentucky, or at the same level it was when Johnny Majors took over, as HC. We haven't fallen to the 80's Vandy level, yet. It took quite a while to get bowl eligible, and even longer to get to a consistently respectable level. Probably 6-7 years, if memory serves me, to being consistently respectable.
We have some talent. But, it wasn't developed, and it is not "The right talent". Depth in the trenches, not there. No game-breakers, at wideout. QB is not a good position on this team, either.

Thoughts?
In the toilet...Period

Smu won 5 / 1 games prior to his arrival. The improved them to a winning season in his third season.
Secondly, what I see you saying is the admin at arkansas went out and got to coached with solid experience.
SMU was terrible the season before he got there. The 5-6 years prior they were pretty much between 5-8 wins which is where he got em back to after a year. Ironically.

Yes. They did with Bieliema.

Bert was a great hire on paper. He wasnt able to change their position in the west and they end up with Morris (a substantially less decorated coach) because a once highly successful guy failed in a tough league. If he struggled to gain traction against Bama, LSU, AU, and A&M who else are they gonna attract.

On a side note of interest.
Bret left at 4-8
Morris comes in at 2-10

Bret left losing 3 straight but was relatively competitive losing by an average of 11 points.

Morris lost to the same 3 teams by an average of 30.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back