Where is this football program, in your mind?

I believe the program is cursed. A few possible causes include placing a street too close to the Cherokee burial mound on the ag campus, replacing John Ward with Bob Kesling, and Rocky Top Woo. Moving the rock might have further exacerbated the curse.

The calming opinion is subjective but it’s fact that Hamilton hurt Fulmer with limited funds. I don’t think Fulmer would limit Pruitt’s money for assistants but can we attract the talent to this cesspool?

About mediocrity, I agree. That Vandy game made me lose all hope with Pruitt.

I lost hope in Pruitt after the South Carolina game. Close game that I feel we could have won had Keller played.
Win that game and we are bowl eligible
Bad offensive line. JG sits back there and waits all day to decide when to throw. Keller thinks quickly and gets rid of the ball. That likely would have been the difference in us winning

Reactions: hog88
Look, this is going to take a couple of 2-3 recruiting cycles to get past the OVC mindset that Butch installed during his time here. And as long as Saban is employed to that state to the south of us, it's going to be next to impossible to get to that level, that "assembly line" is based on him being there.

A couple of years ago, people were saying the same 5h1t about Dooley. And if I am breathing a few years from now, I look forward to reading the same kinda lines about Pruitt. I am really starting to believe the line Tennessee haters once infuriated me with; Nothing sucks like the Big Orange. At least Basketball might be some semblance of competency.

Well, keep in mind, Johnny Majors had already won a National Championship, and was very successful, before returning to Knoxville. JP is a first-time NCAA Head Coach, and at a very Prestigious and historically respectable university. As much as I hate to say this, UT IS NOT a good place right now, for proven Coordinators. As it stands, it is really only a good place for players, who want to play, right away, and coaches/coordinators who are looking to prove themselves, like HC JP. Is there a Johnny Majors like hire out there? A UT graduate, or a Legacy hire, or someone that has ties to UT? That was the only reason I ever bought into the Gruden drama, at first.

Did I hear someone say Tee Martin? Dale Jones?
I've always been an advocate for hiring former alumni. I like Phil being AD. I know he wants to win and it means more to him than just a paycheck. I like what I see from JP and if this recruiting class ends up being top 15-10 then I'll think we're heading in the right direction. I saw development this year and this season was better than 2017 no doubt. Our team is only going to improve and the licks we took will only lead to more motivation this offseason. I think we've hit the bottom and there's no reason to think we can't compete for the East in 2yrs. I think we'll get 7-9wins in 19'-- which is mediocre (in most of our eyes) but this type of rebuild and revision is going to take time. The more our fans reject that notion the more we'll cannibalize our progress. Now--enjoy our wonderful basketball team and let's get some recruits! Top 10 is possible.

Whoever follows Saban will need a big set of brass ones. The bubba's are going to think they should win it all from now on.

Exactly even Gene Stallings was smart enough NOT to try to follow right behind Bear. History shows more often than not the guy immediately following a legend takes a great fall. Dabo is too smart to be the guy to follow Saban.

Reactions: Zues1
And they have beat us the last two times we have played them.
Last season they only lost to vandy 45-31
Only lost to lsu by one score

Saying he are better than them is just to make someone feel better. But if that works, roll.with it.
Incredibly sound logic, here.

So, Kentucky is actually the bottom dweller, because they’ve beaten us twice in like 30 years. And Vandys record ain’t great either.

Like you could actually make a case for us being the worst in the SEC, but this ain’t it, chief.

Not to mention Arkansas lost to North freakin Texas. And you still say we’re the worst in the SEC. FOH

If yall want something to be proud of, go follow our basketball team. They just knocked off the #1 team in the country.

I hope our football team will someday be at that level.

Reactions: volfannbama
We are a flag, twisting in the gale forece wind.

We need some beef in the trenches. To stabilize the rocking of the boat. We need three loads of dudes and are just about to get our first load. Butch left us a one year gap.

Butch and bad luck stripped talent from the oline. We have two freshmen that may start. We got our center in red. We will a few couple from last years line to step up and a juco or two. Boom we have a below average line.

We have some solid skill players. Our guys would be killer in conf USA but just solid in the sec. We need a few guys with pure nfl speed and athleticism to augment what we have. A couple of players the other teams must account for.

We made progress in the secondary this year. And now need depth. I like our 1 and many 2s. They have no fear in playing man and pack a load when they hit. One more summer in the weight room should turn that corner.

We have a lot of bodies at LB but who is going to bring it on game day. Where is Al Wilson? We have the raw talent, and they have show flashes.

We need to notch coaches to squeez the orange juice out of them. CJP has to stop the poaching of our staff.

Fulmer is the cause of all of this. He couldn't make the right hires when he was coach. What makes you think a decade removed from that he can make the correct hire as AD? Has he done something as AD that has made you feel confident?

The right hire is the best up and coming OC sitting in a place like Bama waiting to unleash his new offense using the best players in the nation. All we have to offer is an empty cupboard and a decent salary.

Reactions: photovol
The right hire is the best up and coming OC sitting in a place like Bama waiting to unleash his new offense using the best players in the nation. All we have to offer is an empty cupboard and a decent salary.

Unfortunately you are correct

Incredibly sound logic, here.

So, Kentucky is actually the bottom dweller, because they’ve beaten us twice in like 30 years. And Vandys record ain’t great either.

Like you could actually make a case for us being the worst in the SEC, but this ain’t it, chief.

Not to mention Arkansas lost to North freakin Texas. And you still say we’re the worst in the SEC. FOH
What bowls are vandy and kentucky playing in this year?
They both have stable coaches etc we dont. Our expectations are and should be higher than the 3, yet we are hoping to possibly get to six wins.....someday. Arkansas' coach has experience as a head coach and turning a losing program around, ours does not. They had a awful season but did show some improvement and were competitive against a few mid tier teams. They also got blown out in their last two though. Our margin of loss remained the same regardless of competition. We have a two game lossing streak to them and they could beat us if we played them now. They are a physical football team, we are not.

You want to make an argument that we are the second worst team in the sec? Lol, great congrats on this feat.

Reactions: Jack Burton
I've followed UT since the early 70's. I've seen it rise, fall, rise, and fall again. I've cursed, alot. But, I've endured. Along the way, I've tracked the progress of other programs, as well. In my mind, the program is at the same level as a 1980's Ole Miss or Kentucky, or at the same level it was when Johnny Majors took over, as HC. We haven't fallen to the 80's Vandy level, yet. It took quite a while to get bowl eligible, and even longer to get to a consistently respectable level. Probably 6-7 years, if memory serves me, to being consistently respectable.
We have some talent. But, it wasn't developed, and it is not "The right talent". Depth in the trenches, not there. No game-breakers, at wideout. QB is not a good position on this team, either.

Thoughts?

3 straight losses to Vandy tell you all you need to know. They were the last place program and now its us. Probably broke the spending record for a last place team. Not saying we need to make any changes in staff its just the reality of where this program is at present. The administration took the wheel and veered hard left into oncoming traffic.

Reactions: volguy5
What bowls are vandy and kentucky playing in this year?
They both have stable coaches etc we dont. Our expectations are and should be higher than the 3, yet we are hoping to possibly get to six wins.....someday. Arkansas' coach has experience as a head coach and turning a losing program around, ours does not. They had a awful season but did show some improvement and were competitive against a few mid tier teams. They also got blown out in their last two though. Our margin of loss remained the same regardless of competition. We have a two game lossing streak to them and they could beat us if we played them now. They are a physical football team, we are not.

You want to make an argument that we are the second worst team in the sec? Lol, great congrats on this feat.
Lol, you’re such a loser

Not conceding. I already broke down why your logic is awful, but you wanna think we’re the worst.
And you want to argue we are second worst so like I said earlier, great job.

I believe arkansas would beat us head to head. Secondly, the arkansas admin in not a complete disaster. They hire a solid coach with experience without a fiasco.....in the armpit pf America. We look like an episode of the 3 stooges in what should be one of the premier program in America.

I believe arkansas would beat us head to head. Secondly, the arkansas admin in not a complete disaster. They hire a solid coach with experience without a fiasco.....in the armpit pf America. We look like an episode of the 3 stooges in what should be one of the premier program in America.

You’re damn straight I’d rather be second to worst than the worst.

VN Store

Back