What's the coldest Tennessee game you've attended?

In late November 1950, Tennessee hosted Kentucky, coached by Bear Bryant and QB'd by Vito (Babe) Parilli. The day before, Knoxville was hit by a colossal snowstorm of nearly 2 feet. My mom & dad and aunt & uncle had season tickets on the 45 yard line and they weren't gonna miss that game. We lived on Clinch Ave right close to UT Campus. The temp was around Zero on game day morning and Dad took off and headed to Shields-Watkins all bundled up and carrying a shovel. He managed to get into the stadium, find the seats and clear them and the walkway. I was a youngster and I loved Tennessee football. Wanted to go to that game so bad but my parents wouldn't hear of it. Gametime temp was around 10 degrees and the Vols won 7-0. I listened to the game on radio but could hear the cheering crowd form our front porch.

shrug-shoulders.gif
I could have swore it was colder. Maybe this was the kickoff temp. All I know is I thought I was going to lose some toes.
Screenshot_20211105-141249_Chrome.jpg

This post by @VOLnMiami made me think about some of the extremely cold temperatures I've endured in November as a Vols' fan over the years. I don't remember the exact seasons, but a couple of my trips to Lexington were... painful. It's like the cold concrete in that stadium creeps up from your feet, slowly stealing any remaining warmth in your body. lol.

So, what's the coldest Tennessee game you've attended?
Can't remember the coldest UT game I attended but the coldest game I've attended was AF Academy vs Stanford 1969. Minus 10 degrees and windy.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
This post by @VOLnMiami made me think about some of the extremely cold temperatures I've endured in November as a Vols' fan over the years. I don't remember the exact seasons, but a couple of my trips to Lexington were... painful. It's like the cold concrete in that stadium creeps up from your feet, slowly stealing any remaining warmth in your body. lol.

So, what's the coldest Tennessee game you've attended?

For me it was the Vandy game in Nashville that was Johnny Major's last game coaching the Vols. We were sitting up high and that wind was brutal.

2000 against Kentucky. Night game. Never got out of the 30s. I was in the upper deck on the east side of the stadium, about 10 rows from the top. Wind was just enough to make it feel a lot worse. The only good thing about that day was the score (59-20). There was no one within 20 rows of me and for the life of me, I'll never understand why I didn't move down to somewhere warmer...if such a place existed.

My #2 game has to be 2016 against Mizzou. My wife and daughter were with me. We froze our tails off at that game. Again, upper deck but southwest corner. The score made that one bearable as well.
At that 2000 UK game my wife was so cold she went and sat in the concourse in the third quarter. While she was there Coach Majors walked by. She chatted with him and got his autograph on her ticket stub. She’s a UK graduate.

Reactions: Voljlt
Can't remember the year but it was when Franklin beat us at home while coaching Vandy during Butch's tenure. I may just be a weenie to cold weather though...

In late November 1950, Tennessee hosted Kentucky, coached by Bear Bryant and QB'd by Vito (Babe) Parilli. The day before, Knoxville was hit by a colossal snowstorm of nearly 2 feet. My mom & dad and aunt & uncle had season tickets on the 45 yard line and they weren't gonna miss that game. We lived on Clinch Ave right close to UT Campus. The temp was around Zero on game day morning and Dad took off and headed to Shields-Watkins all bundled up and carrying a shovel. He managed to get into the stadium, find the seats and clear them and the walkway. I was a youngster and I loved Tennessee football. Wanted to go to that game so bad but my parents wouldn't hear of it. Gametime temp was around 10 degrees and the Vols won 7-0. I listened to the game on radio but could hear the cheering crowd form our front porch.

Holy "Old Timer Award Winner"!!!!

You just made ME feel young...

Glad you're here PetrosBoy...

A KY game about 20 years ago. I can’t remember the exact one, but I’ll never forget how cold those metal bleachers were that day.

Vandy 2013 was the only time in my life I’ve wondered if I’m getting dangerous levels of cold.

Endured 4 hours of it just to watch us lose on the last play and have our bowl hopes shattered.

I went to a TN Vandy game when I was a teen where it started sleeting and got cold and miserable. Can't remember the year though.
I think we did and I'm almost positive Peyton was playing. My memory ain't what it used to be though lol
Casey Clausen was QB.He was ineffecTIVE. But Kilgore Rangerettes did splits on frozen field at halftime.

Last edited:
Reactions: dduncan4163

As I mentioned my father and 3 of my uncles came up from Chattanooga. One of my uncles went to the UC(UTC) Thanksgiving Day game and said it was so warm he wore a shortsleeve shirt. Then as you mentioned that huge cold front came in on Friday.

Vandy at Neyland in 1993. I severely misjudged the temps and froze my ass off.

I attended the road game at MU where Dobbs made one of his first starts I believe that is still the coldest UT game on record.

Not really sure of year. Around 01-03 UT vandy LP field Nashville everyone huddled at the ends of the stadium trying to get in a pack out of the wind. Brutal day

I remember a game at Vandy in '92 or '94 that was very cold.

The 1993 night game at UK was miserable. That was before their endzones were enclosed. The wind would whip straight down the field.
Went to the 94 game. Peytons freshman year. 65-0. Good thing we curbstomped em, because I froze the whole game. Burnt my tongue on hot chocolate.

Reactions: Boca Vol
TN vs Notre Dame 1990 at Neyland. Notre Dame was ranked #1 and I believe we were 12. We had Dale Carter and the had Rocket. I bought scalpers tickets $70 each 13 rows up right in the middle of the Notre Dame fans. Didn’t know that at the time of purchase. It was before the north end zone top layer was added. I remember it being very sunny and very cold. I kept telling myself that it’ll get warmer when the sun shines on my section. The sun did shine, but it never got any warmer. It only got windier. Couple that with the end result and it wasn’t the best day.
Was at this game also, seems we held them in check and then the rocket got out around the end and we didn’t have anyone in the entire stadium that could have caught him

Reactions: Bassplayer30074
my first UT game--i was ten and I wanted to leave at end of first quarter--- not sure how dad got tickets-we sure could not afford but he was not leaving what turns out to be one of the most memorable Vol victories

Reactions: mercuryvol

VN Store

Back