What's the coldest Tennessee game you've attended?

2001 Cotton Bowl in Dallas was miserable. Just walking to the stadium was a challenge. Ice on the seats.
I remember a game at Vandy in '92 or '94 that was very cold.

The 1993 night game at UK was miserable. That was before their endzones were enclosed. The wind would whip straight down the field.
I remember that

2001 Cotton Bowl in Dallas was miserable. Just walking to the stadium was a challenge. Ice on the seats.
I didn't attend that one but remember it was horrible that day...I had friends who say it was the most miserable game they had ever went to.

Was at that 2000 KY game in Neyland. Was spitting a little snow. The concession stands we’re selling coffee out of those big yellow igloo coolers and it was like drinking cold stump water. Worst coffee I’ve ever tried, thankfully it was a blowout win and made the cold a little more tolerable.

2005 vs SC Lamecocks...Peyton's jersey retirement ceremony. After the sun went down it was freezing cold...we only had light jackets. To add insult to injury, we lost to Spurrier. GO VOLS.

2005 vs SC Lamecocks...Peyton's jersey retirement ceremony. After the sun went down it was freezing cold...we only had light jackets. To add insult to injury, we lost to Spurrier. GO VOLS.
1986 Liberty Bowl against Minnesota. At 900am it was 0 degrees in Memphis , warmer at game time but had to buy my little guys(at the time) warm gear for the game. Oh yeah, we won.

1982 and 1983 Liberty Bowls are the two coldest games I've ever been to.

'83 game between BC and Notre Dame. 12 degrees at kickoff and wind chill was below zero.

1983_4edit.jpg
For me it was the Liberty Bowl between Bama and UCLA....19 degrees and dropping the first quarter.

Reactions: peaygolf
This post by @VOLnMiami made me think about some of the extremely cold temperatures I've endured in November as a Vols' fan over the years. I don't remember the exact seasons, but a couple of my trips to Lexington were... painful. It's like the cold concrete in that stadium creeps up from your feet, slowly stealing any remaining warmth in your body. lol.

So, what's the coldest Tennessee game you've attended?
1980s Pittsburg game. 18 deg. 1978 Liberty bowl versus Minnesota. 15 deg.

This post by @VOLnMiami made me think about some of the extremely cold temperatures I've endured in November as a Vols' fan over the years. I don't remember the exact seasons, but a couple of my trips to Lexington were... painful. It's like the cold concrete in that stadium creeps up from your feet, slowly stealing any remaining warmth in your body. lol.

So, what's the coldest Tennessee game you've attended?
Notre Dame in 1990. Maybe I was not dressed appropriately, but dang, that game was cold.

2007 5-OT game vs UK in Lexigington that sent us to the SECCG. It got into the 20s before it ended. Was worth every bit of it.

2006 Tennessee vs Arkansas in Fayetteville. College Gameday was there and we sat in the top corner of the stadium and froze our tails off watching Darren McFadden run all over us.

UK in Lexington in 1995. Had to wipe sleet off the aluminum seats
Yes. I was at every UT-UK game in Lex in the 90s, and that one was bad.
The Taneyhill Revenge game in 93 was pretty dam cold on top row in the south end zone (the river), too.

Cotton Bowl against K State in 2000. Colder than a well diggers a** in Dallas that day.
Was there too. Sat on ice in the stands…thank you Scotchguard! Managed to navigate really bad roads to the DART station in Carrollton and rode to the game with a bunch of purple clad geezers.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Homecoming in November 1983 against Ole Miss, first night game in Neyland Stadium in November, kick off was around 30 degrees, dropped down to 22 degrees by halftime, kept the ticket stub in my top coat for 20 years as a reminder of why we ought not play night games in Knoxville after the first week in November. Ole miss upset Tennessee that night 13-10 meaning another trip to the Citrus Bowl, Randall Morris fumbled at the Ole Miss one yard line on the drive that would have won the game.

Last edited:
1977 Tennessee vs Vandy in Neyland. Mid 20s with snow showers.
2015 Tennessee at Missouri. Was in the upper 20s during the game.

The awesome thing is Tennessee is something like 17-3 in games when it's below 40.

VN Store

Back