What's the coldest Tennessee game you've attended?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
This post by @VOLnMiami made me think about some of the extremely cold temperatures I've endured in November as a Vols' fan over the years. I don't remember the exact seasons, but a couple of my trips to Lexington were... painful. It's like the cold concrete in that stadium creeps up from your feet, slowly stealing any remaining warmth in your body. lol.

Lexington is without a doubt the coldest stadium I have ever been to...I was there in 1981 after the ice storm and the wind was whipping around that place.....You were litterly stuck to your seat..Just a miserable experince and on top of that We lost...Gahhhh!

So, what's the coldest Tennessee game you've attended?

Sat through sleet in 89 or 90 at Neyland against Vandy. Was in the upper deck overlooking the river. That was cold.

Outside of that, I’ve been to several KY games on the frozen Tundra in Lexington that would qualify. Something about that erector set stadium that makes it seem about 15 degrees colder inside it than outside.

I haven’t been to many cold games, but We had a Noon game against Miss. State in 2003. I remember walking to the game and seeing a flurry or two. Clausen and Chris Hannon torched Miss State that day. It was like 59-21 or something .

Has Tennessee actually had a game in Neyland in late November (so I guess that would traditionally have been against either Kentucky or Vanderbilt) during which it started snowing or, at the very least, flurrying?

Reactions: Freak
Mine was a Vandy game that it rained then the sun set.. It was awful.

The coldest sporting event I have been to was the Food City 500 when it snowed and I was up in the nose bleeds freezing everything off in and out of snow storms.

Oooh...I forgot. My son played for Farragut his freshman and sophomore years. We played the Fighting Spurriers at Science Hill. It was literally in the low 20’s and windy. THAT was the most miserable game I’ve ever been a part of.

Reactions: FïreBall and Freak
I remember a game at Vandy in '92 or '94 that was very cold.

The 1993 night game at UK was miserable. That was before their endzones were enclosed. The wind would whip straight down the field.

I went to a TN Vandy game when I was a teen where it started sleeting and got cold and miserable. Can't remember the year though.
We may have been at the same game. I don't remember the year either.
I think we did and I'm almost positive Peyton was playing. My memory ain't what it used to be though lol

Reactions: Freak
Never been to a Tennessee game that was terribly cold.

Plenty of HS games that were though. My younger brother was in a 3rd round playoff game, I want to say 2008. Temp was about 15 degrees but wind chill was below 0 for sure. On top of that, they lost and he didn't get into the game.

Watched a home game or three during the winters of '87 and '88 from the comfort of my heated room at Sondrestrom Air Base in Greenland.
I don't know what the temperature was in Knoxville, but it was somewhere south of -50 degrees on the other side of my window.

Last edited:
Not sure about the coldest, but the most miserable was going to Vandy one year and it rained like crazy. I think it was 1996 maybe?

Oooh...I forgot. My son played for Farragut his freshman and sophomore years. We played the Fighting Spurriers at Science Hill. It was literally in the low 20’s and windy. THAT was the most miserable game I’ve ever been a part of.

Was it in their old soup bowl stadium or the new one. The old soup bowl sucked and had no drainage.

VN Store

Back