What's the coldest Tennessee game you've attended?

Oddly enough for me, it was a spring game. I forgot the year but it was windy as hell and the wind cut right through the thin "wind breaker" jacket I was wearing. I froze my ass off.

I went to a TN Vandy game when I was a teen where it started sleeting and got cold and miserable. Can't remember the year though.

I think we did and I'm almost positive Peyton was playing. My memory ain't what it used to be though lol

I just remember being hammered and still cold... It was a shock. I think I left early. That time frame sounds right.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Not sure about the coldest, but the most miserable was going to Vandy one year and it rained like crazy. I think it was 1996 maybe?

The Marshall game in 2006 was that way for me. God the rain AND the play on the field made that game miserable! There was an LSU game back in early 90's at Neyland that was miserably wet too.

Reactions: OrangeAllDay
1982 and 1983 Liberty Bowls are the two coldest games I've ever been to.

'83 game between BC and Notre Dame. 12 degrees at kickoff and wind chill was below zero.

1983_4edit.jpg

1957 or 58... Old Crump Stadium, Memphis... UT-Ole Miss... sat on the south side near midway up on 50yd line... COLD wind and snow blowing around north bleachers and meeting where we sat. Temps were near 25 degrees by end of game, which we were not suppose to lose,,, but did. Made it even colder..

Reactions: mercuryvol
Cotton Bowl against K State in 2000. Colder than a well diggers a** in Dallas that day.
That has to be one of the coldest games in UT history plus the ice storm on top of it.

We stayed in our hotel for New Years Eve because the weather was so bad and sat in the hotel bar/restaurant that looked over a interstate interchange. Car after car went sliding all over going over the bridge.

Then we decided to take a shuttle bus to the game instead of driving ourselves. The bus couldn't make it up a slight grade to get to the bus shelter and driver got out and yelled for everyone to walk down to him and get on the bus there in the road instead.

Mizzou @ Tennessee in 2016
That sun set and the winds were whipping and the temp was in the 30's. After the game, all me and my now wife wanted to do was get a hot shower and sleep.

I've been to Lambeau in December. Ha, none of these compare to that. Of course, you know that going into it and you are wearing multiple layers. That and they squeeze you in like sardines in the endzone areas.

Reactions: kcvols1
Probably Lexington in 2017. It started snowing at the end of the game (flurries).

*Titans last year in Cinci was pretty cold, though I think Pittsburgh in December will be the coldest game I will have attended.

My wife was at the '81 AFC Championship game in Cincinnati.
-9 degrees....wind chill -37

She's obviously a little "off"

635563382248398631-cold.jpg

Reactions: VolBallGuy
Vols vs Kittens in 98. That’s the coldest I’ve ever been in Neyland….. and I had a quilt with me!

Has Tennessee actually had a game in Neyland in late November (so I guess that would traditionally have been against either Kentucky or Vanderbilt) during which it started snowing or, at the very least, flurrying?

Supposedly the coldest game in UT history was the 1950 Kentucky game where it was 0 degrees. My father and uncles drove up from Chattanooga and had to chip the ice off their seats to sit down.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I think a lot of us will say Kentucky from some year or another. It's always played near the end of November, it's either a morning or a night game, etc. I actually think early kickoffs are worse, less time for things to heat up, though that's anecdotal on my part. But regarldess, those noon kicks at Commonwealth always feel like a freaking freezer. I've chipped sheets of ice off the bleachers at Commonwealth more than a few times.

VN Store

Back