What would it take to change your mind about JG?

Very simple: play up to his potential. He’s like Cromp Daddy. All world in practice and mediocre in game play.

If he’ll start the first 2 games this season the complete opposite way he started the first 2 last season, I’ll do a complete 180 too.

JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

What would it take for you?

8 wins.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Don't start him...he was considerably more effective when he came off the bench and didn't have the pressure of being the guy. He's a guy that wants to be QB, but doesn't believe he can be THE QB. His processing speed is the same at home as it is on the football field. He has no switch

I believe you're right on. When the camera zooms in on him in the face he has the nobody home look in the eyes, the look of a true Freshman starting his first game. The other players can sense that and they say all the rah rah stuff but if you ever played, you know when someone exudes confidence and you can also feel it when it's the opposite.
When he came out that 1st Spring and did the 360 in comp with other QB's & missed the JJ target more than all the QB's
When he pouted the whole GT game.
When he called his own # in a fumble 14 point turnaround vs Bama.
These items & others along the way
have seriously effected his football psyche.
Is it insurmountable? We will see
JP will give experience a shot every time

Reactions: LittleVol
Hmmm so what other TN QB had 3 WRs go over 100 yards in a single game? Refresh my memory.

Quit cherry picking, the body of work speaks for itself. More instances of not picking up simple blitzes, getting out of bad plays, and missing too many throws. I love the guys heart and toughness, but if you ain’t got it by year three then you probably ain’t gonna get it. Hope I’m wrong, but tired of hoping.

Reactions: Kngsport VFL
JG is more accurate than

Casey Clausen Comp %- 61, A/Y/A- 7.7

Tee Martin- 55%, A/Y/A- 7.7

Tyler Bray- 58%, A/Y/A- 8.2

JG- 60%, A/Y/A- 8.0
I was never crazy about Clausen or Bray, but you can't argue that Tee's skillset didn't translate into wins no matter what the stats say.

JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

What would it take for you?
Success at putting the ball into the end zone consistently

Reactions: Kngsport VFL
Thankfully this will be the last year that threads, good or bad, will be dedicated to only JG. The dude has occupied way too much of the TN football conversation. It is time to move on. Given how 2020 has turned out thus far, my expectations aren't high, even with a stellar O-line.

Thankfully this will be the last year that threads, good or bad, will be dedicated to only JG. The dude has occupied way too much of the TN football conversation. It is time to move on. Given how 2020 has turned out thus far, my expectations aren't high, even with a stellar O-line.

Doesn't he have the option to come back?

tumblr_p3i21jmWre1rzoi3uo1_500.gifv

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Get rid of the ball sooner. Quit missing open receivers. Quit choking.
This sums it up. People want to say it is hate. We don't hate any of our players. We do want them to play up to their potential. At this level, players are expected to perform. It is not hate to expect it. JG has always had a problem of making quick decisions in games. Practice is good, but if not transferred to the game, then it does not help. We don't expect any more out of JG than we do any other player on the team.

Everybody loves to talk about how it’s JGs second year with Chaney but it’s also chaneys second year with him. I’m convinced he will create a game plan that fits into JGs strengths whatever they may be.

Everybody loves to talk about how it’s JGs second year with Chaney but it’s also chaneys second year with him. I’m convinced he will create a game plan that fits into JGs strengths whatever they may be.
I don't think you can game plan for the inconsistencies of which JG will show up. The odd thing no one really ever talks about is win the game seams out of reach or doesn't matter JG plays like a very good QB. Its always been him against himself .

This sums it up. People want to say it is hate. We don't hate any of our players. We do want them to play up to their potential. At this level, players are expected to perform. It is not hate to expect it. JG has always had a problem of making quick decisions in games. Practice is good, but if not transferred to the game, then it does not help. We don't expect any more out of JG than we do any other player on the team.
This is such BS. Go back and read this board after the Alabama game last season, I can't recall anyone else getting his type treatment. I've not seen you tell us how bad Jennings played in the redzone last season, sure he had a couple of plays where he was tough to tackle down there but he also had 2 passes go straight through his hands only to be intercepted by the other team in the endzone. Happened not once, but twice, cost our team bigtime in both games, both were gut wrenching game turning type mistakes yet I never saw the same hate thrown at Jennings that was thrown at JG, we've even got one guy on here that goes as far as to blame JG for the ball he threw that JJ missed yet he turns around and blames JJ for the one he missed that BM threw. If you don't see hate being thrown at that kid then you haven't been paying attention. Go look at his face during some of the interviews after he plays well and we win, go watch his reaction when he breaks down on TV for all to see. If you can't see the pain in him in what he's gone through by some of our most hateful pathetic factions of our fanbase then it's you personally that can't see what's straight in front of you. You may say it's only a small part of the fanbase that act foolishly, I say folks like you, who claim he's not treated with hate, should stand up for him when he is indeed treated with hate. I doubt you've ever called out one single person for slamming on him.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back