What would it take to change your mind about JG?

It's because he waits to throw to the receiver at the end of the route, instead of throwing to the point on the field at the end of the route, where the receiver will end up as long as he runs his route correctly.

Honestly, I don't know how you fix that kind of flaw in a QB at this point in their career.
I truly hate it... but that's in line with what I've said consistently. At this point, it appears to be an innate inability. Some guys cannot throw a ball like he can... and some guys simply do not have whatever abstract, imaginative ability to anticipate or visualize. And some folks just do not think as fast as others.

UT may cover it up with great OL play and run game. The coaches may judge that his ability to manage the O and run game are enough of an advantage to live with his liabilities as a passer. I'll be glad to be wrong.... just don't think I am.

This is what makes Pulaski and k-town go nuts. They both literally deny that this problem even exists.

5 wins seat is warm. 4 wins or less he is hot. Imo

At this point with a 5th yr QB we should taken one from TAMU or AUBURN...period...
I can’t see any way that Pruitt gets fired without cause in the next 2-3 years, short of the program going completely off the rails (as in 2 or 3 win seasons). Fulmer said that the BEST case scenario for the AD this year is a $30 million loss, and it could be up to $80 million if the season is curtailed or canceled. Paying a coach $8-10 million to go away is just untenable in this environment.

I'm really glad you started this new thread about JG, @VolforFootball. You were totally right, we needed something new and refreshing, not just another repeat of all the conversations we've had 20 or 30 times over the past several months. Good thinking.

Reactions: overseasorange2
He needs to put the ball in the end zone. He only has 1 game with 3 TD passes and it was against an FCS team. Over the past 2 years JG only has 3 more TDs than Trask did in 2019 and Trask only started playing due to injury late in UF’s 3rd game.

This is the last game he played. He led the team to the red zone 3 times and couldn’t score. It was the 2017 UF game all over again. Our RBs and O-line won us the bowl game.
Against Indiana JG attempted 12 passes in the red zone. 8 incompletes, 1 dump off, 3 passes that resulted in a 1st down (one was by penalty). We had drives die at the 2, 6, and 13. JG’s 2 interceptions led to 10 IU points.
But his completion % is elite!
Completion % > scoring

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
It's because he waits to throw to the receiver at the end of the route, instead of throwing to the point on the field at the end of the route, where the receiver will end up as long as he runs his route correctly.

Honestly, I don't know how you fix that kind of flaw in a QB at this point in their career.
Don't start him...he was considerably more effective when he came off the bench and didn't have the pressure of being the guy. He's a guy that wants to be QB, but doesn't believe he can be THE QB. His processing speed is the same at home as it is on the football field. He has no switch

Reactions: sechamp2012
I truly hate it... but that's in line with what I've said consistently. At this point, it appears to be an innate inability. Some guys cannot throw a ball like he can... and some guys simply do not have whatever abstract, imaginative ability to anticipate or visualize. And some folks just do not think as fast as others.

UT may cover it up with great OL play and run game. The coaches may judge that his ability to manage the O and run game are enough of an advantage to live with his liabilities as a passer. I'll be glad to be wrong.... just don't think I am.

This is what makes Pulaski and k-town go nuts. They both literally deny that this problem even exists.
It can be fixed. It sounds silly...but he needs to close his eyes and run a play that he can visualize mentally. Then throw to where he thinks the ball should go. There is a "delay " in his mind and his eyes. So to take one of them away is to take away the delay.
If he does this enough he will begin to learn better instinct which leads to less processing.

I don't have as strong of a dislike or whatever some have with the young man as some, but I would like to see him work on the swing pass out of the backfield he always misses that throw for some reason

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I don't have as strong of a dislike or whatever some have with the young man as some, but I would like to see him work on the swing pass out of the backfield he always misses that throw for some reason
We were terrible with that play all season. I forget the game but I remember we lost, where at a critical point we ran 3 straight unsuccessful swing passes. I miss the old fashioned screen pass and draws up the middle. I think we're going to see lots of passes to the RBs this season as Ty and EG are 2 of our best playmakers.

Reactions: vols72
Very weak that this was merged into a thread. I mean, I guess I get it from a mod standpoint. But really wanted a different take on JG, that being a thread that was actually positive in nature regarding the young man.
Some of us want to see positives consistently FROM the young man before we believe he can run the offense. It’s up to him.

That's because he JG throws those passes at the same velocity of a rocket taking off into orbit. No touch

Reactions: vols72
JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

What would it take for you?
10-1 TD to Int ratio. No coverage sacks. Hit a bomb on time. He doesn’t have to be Joe Burrow.

It really should be the easiest pass of all to make. Just put the ball slightly in front of the back so he doesn't break stride. If it's not on the ground or behind the receiver JG often throws it like he's trying to knock a bull out. I don't get it. For about a year I gave him the benefit of the doubt because he took a lot of hard licks and had to hurry throws because of pressure. Stepping up in the pocket,JG made some good throws. JG just can't improvise well at all either.

JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

Beat 2 of the 3, Fla, ga and Bama in same year.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

throwing with accuracy and that translating into wins.

VN Store

Back