What would it take to change your mind about JG?

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Reactions: Big Al Orange
He won a few games for us also. Funny how nobody seems to remember our RB losing the ball late in the UK game. If it wasn't for JG, we lose that game. :eek:

Of course this would not be the first time, some of our fans underestimate the abilities of our players.
Jalen Hurts active for Philadelphia Eagles, moves up depth chart
NFL
I can count the games that JG did well in with one hand. Gotta bring out the toes to count the games he hasn’t played well in.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

What would it take for you?
CAN WE PLEASE STOP USING THE WORD "HATE" INSTEAD OF CRITICISM OR OPPOSING VIEW! It's not hate in any shape, way, or form. I don't think any of the JG detractors "hate" him. They are just highly critical of his performance. I don't like Nick Saban, but I don't hate him.

I think JG is an average to slightly below average QB who has been in below average situations for most of his UT career. This year he should have a great oline and a good running game. We lost our wide receivers but it is not like the cupboard is completely bare. He has the same coordinators back for his first time in his career. I am not expecting a miracle but I am optimistic he performs better this year. If he gets us to 6 wins he has done his part to get UT back on track.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Grasp the mental aspect of the game. It's been hit upon, but misfiring on passes to backs out of the backfield, holding onto the ball too long, calling his own number on the goal line without letting the other guys know. Those are all mostly 'between the ears' mistakes. You don't have to have a cannon to complete a swing pass or to get the ball out on time or to audible correctly at the line of scrimmage.

For me to change my mind about JG he would have to have magically developed anticipation skills. He never throws before his receivers make their breaks. He would have also magically developed the ability to throw receivers open. He's never shown that ability. The reason I use "magically" is because these skills can't necessarily be learned by practice.

It's frustrating to see posters refer to criticism as hate. I don't think anyone hates JG. Not thinking he's a good QB doesn't = hate.

This is such BS. Go back and read this board after the Alabama game last season, I can't recall anyone else getting his type treatment. I've not seen you tell us how bad Jennings played in the redzone last season, sure he had a couple of plays where he was tough to tackle down there but he also had 2 passes go straight through his hands only to be intercepted by the other team in the endzone. Happened not once, but twice, cost our team bigtime in both games, both were gut wrenching game turning type mistakes yet I never saw the same hate thrown at Jennings that was thrown at JG, we've even got one guy on here that goes as far as to blame JG for the ball he threw that JJ missed yet he turns around and blames JJ for the one he missed that BM threw. If you don't see hate being thrown at that kid then you haven't been paying attention. Go look at his face during some of the interviews after he plays well and we win, go watch his reaction when he breaks down on TV for all to see. If you can't see the pain in him in what he's gone through by some of our most hateful pathetic factions of our fanbase then it's you personally that can't see what's straight in front of you. You may say it's only a small part of the fanbase that act foolishly, I say folks like you, who claim he's not treated with hate, should stand up for him when he is indeed treated with hate. I doubt you've ever called out one single person for slamming on him.
It happens to bad quarterbacks at every school with passionate fan bases

Reactions: jim43
He just needs too Manage the game better. The offensive Coach needs too get him out of the pocket. The options on roll out is a higher percentage. JG is not a Pro style QB setting in the pocket. He has shown that already. The Coach needs too manage him in play calling just like Johnathan Crompton did his Senior year. When you roll Qb out he has 3 options. If its not there. Throw the ball away. Live for the next play

JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

What would it take for you?

That we win a lot of games and he is at least competent. This horse has absolutely been beat to death though.

Consistent play. There are some games where he seems to have more pocket presence, and gets rid of the ball faster. Other games he seems to hold onto the ball forever, get rattled and then start forcing bad passes. If he can consistently be a someone we can rely on to make the smart move then I’ll be all for him.

Reactions: LeannaVol
With the WRs he's left with, I'm not putting a magic number on the TDs. I'm not even putting one on the picks, but the one thing I need to see from him is to finally not make those boneheaded plays that have cost them games and nearly others. He's not accurate on the deep ball. Fine. He is who he is. Just act like you've been around and not make rookie mistakes. Hopefully he won't overthink things and having Chaney will produce... something.

Reactions: LeannaVol
He has my respect because he could have just easily quit after that embarrassment fumble late in the 2019 Tennessee Alabama game that is the same game that I didn’t expect to be that close for that long in Alabama.

Also because He’s proven tough physically and mentally, and committed because he’s had challenging games before 2019 and during 2019 which was mostly all games before the great turnaround after the bye week.
Adversity reveals character and he’s shown he is a champion that won’t quit because of the challenging rainy days which he and the Volunteers have had a high amount since he became the starting QB.

I expect him to have a great season in 2020, and for him to be 1 main reason why the Volunteers win 7 or 8 of 10 games.

2 games Most likely to lose are Alabama and At Georgia.

The challenging except still winnable game that could be a loss is the At Auburn game.

Alabama The most Challenging game is the Game I’m most looking forward for him and the Volunteers to be better than keeping the game watchable which is a moral victory and head coaches get payed to win games not get the result that is a moral victory that is keeping a game close and competitive.

A moral victory is the the pretty loss, and is looking at a loss positively because the game was close.

The whole being happy a team got a moral victory is dumb because a moral victory is viewing a loss as something positive.

The Volunteers need to Finish in the 4th by winning the game if the Volunteers keep the game close. This is the game that he’ll be playing with a extreme amount to prove after the fiasco fumble in Alabama.

At Georgia
The Volunteers are playing vastly different after the bye week, and this would be his chance for that great signature win.
I know this is a heavyweight challenging game except I still expect the Volunteers to keep the game competitive and close even if the most likely happens that is the great Bullldogs win.

This is his other chance for that great signature win.

At Auburn
Auburn isn’t a scrub, and they aren’t looking to be better with a winning season like Arkansas that had an abysmal 2019 season.
Both reasons why I could see Auburn winning this game.

VN Store

Back