What would it take to change your mind about JG?

It feels like he's been the QB here the last 10 years. I'm ready for a change
He can come back next year too...All the players were granted an extra year....He will have been a student and player at UT for almost 6 years...Remember he redshirted his 1st year.

JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified.
I get what you mean but using the word "hate" does nothing but poison the well. Very few people here "hate" him. He has received a lot of criticism... which is fair and largely justified.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

What would it take for you?

Before my answer, this question should be asked in reverse also. What would it take to convince his loyal fan club here that he's not a satisfactory QB for UT?

For me it is really simple. I want to see him read and throw quickly. I want to see him read and throw hot reads without losing accuracy. I want to see him anticipate throws- lead receivers, throw to the spot on time.

He became a good manager of the O and run game in the latter half of last season. He has plenty of arm. He's accurate when he can take his time. He just seems to still be challenged by the speed of the game when it is live.

JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

And dropped 45 on GA
Rarely have I been happier for a player than I was Crompton that day. That may have been the single most surprising performance I've ever seen from a Tennessee QB. People talk about Crompton's turnaround, but everybody forgets that he was still borderline awful the first 5 weeks. I remember everybody in the stadium looking round like "Who is this guy?" lol.

Perform.

Literally, what kind of question is that?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
JG has played his entire career behind a weak pass protecting line. He will only improve if pass protection improves.

JG has played his entire career behind a weak pass protecting line. He will only improve if pass protection improves.

Simply not true of the 2018 and 2019 seasons

Last season, Guarantano was sacked six times, per PFF, in under 2.5 seconds. That’s about in line with the other four guys, all of whom were sacked four times in the same scenario. Guarantano’s “average time to throw” was 2.35 seconds. Fromm’s was 2.38 seconds, a feat he’s repeated exactly to the second the last two seasons. Now “time to throw” doesn’t automatically indicate throws under pressure. It’s simply how quickly a quarterback gets rid of the ball. Per the data, Guarantano typically did a nice job making decisive decisions.

Conversely, Guarantano really struggled when he held the ball for longer than 2.5 seconds...Since he was a freshman, Guarantano has had bouts where he holds on the ball too long. Of his 22 sacks last season, 16 came on plays where he was in the pocket for longer than 2.5 seconds. Two of his three interceptions came on such throws, too.

VolQuest - A deep dive into Jarrett Guarantano’s 2018 season using PFF data.

Simple ... Consistency and Competence.

Reactions: LittleVol

15-0 this year. Other wise he is what his stats says he is. I base my opinion on last 4 years!!!

VN Store

Back