What would it take to change your mind about JG?

Play well against a team with a pulse. Only passes he ever completes end with the receiver getting tackled upon completion. Has he ever thrown a pass to a receiver in stride?
Very weak take. “Ever?” “A team with a pulse?” I’ll stick to data points as opposed to ad-hominem and your feelings. “I feel like he ALWAYS does that.” No one always does anything except people that rely on feelings and confirmation bias as they move through life. And those miserable bastards always find a way to be right about being miserable. Yes, bastards.

Reactions: Kngsport VFL
I quite reading right after "JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified."

It baffles me how people that don't have the skill set to play football at the level that these young men play, can hate someone because they don't perform up their lofty expectations. It must be a very miserable life hating everyone that doesn't meet your expectations.

I quite reading right after "JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified."

It baffles me how people that don't have the skill set to play football at the level that these young men play, can hate someone because they don't perform up their lofty expectations. It must be a very miserable life hating everyone that doesn't meet your expectations.
Agreed. Well said. I don’t like Vol on Vol crime, but basement dwellers may have infiltrated. I could sign up for a purge of sorts.

JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

What would it take for you?

simply for him to look like he knew what he was doing.

That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side? What would it take for you?

Completing a lateral pass this season. I think he was 0 for 30 last year. But anything can happen, Jonathan Crompton says hi, and Chaney was coordinator back then as well.

Reactions: 08Vol
He was supposed to be a dual-threat QB. I'd like to see him in the same QB zip code as Heath Shuler when it comes to QB play. Heath wasn't always accurate either, but he had a cannon for an arm. He would cock that arm back while rolling out of the pocket and "freeze" LBs and then take off for 10-15 yards (or at least a first down). I believe JG has the same running ability if he's given the chance. We need him as the additional dimension on offense that he apparently has the talent to become. I truly believe his biggest weakness is throwing while running - but he can tuck it in and take off.

200 JG threads and you seriously think you’re going to have a positive one? It’s the same thread every...Single.... Time.
No kidding...JG is probably tired of reading all these threads about himself as well...Gotten ridiculous.

Very weak take. “Ever?” “A team with a pulse?” I’ll stick to data points as opposed to ad-hominem and your feelings. “I feel like he ALWAYS does that.” No one always does anything except people that rely on feelings and confirmation bias as they move through life. And those miserable bastards always find a way to be right about being miserable. Yes, bastards.

Has he beaten Georgia, Florida, or Alabama? Go back and watch every game last year like I did a few weeks ago. We won in spite of him.

Special teams won most games for us last year because of messes he put us in. The Indiana game he left lots of points on the board in the redzone.

Play well enough to not get benched. Throw on time and make the correct reads. He has flashed some really good football, but the next game or qtr or whatever, and he can't get out of his own way.

Reactions: rkvdg
Well I’ll comment cuz I‘ve not complained enough online about him. What’s always been terrible about JG, out of all of his shortcomings, is timing. His timing is off. Late throw to wide open JJ last year against BYU is a perfect example, cost us the game essentially, yet just one of many of those type mistakes. He didn’t throw many pics last year and that was a stat that got thrown around in his favor, but there were NUMEROUS close calls that should’ve been picked off, and that has been a consistent problem. If he can speed up his decision making and timing, and have a really good year, it will be what most remember him for down the road.

I want him to succeed so bad. I see the physical tools there. I see the unmatched physical toughness. After what he went through 2 years ago spending most of the season on his back, he’s got my respect, if for nothing else, just showing back up, game after game to get knocked on his butt over, and over, and over. We all, myself included, complain about the horrible mistakes he’s made (BAMA, etc.) but I’ll bet none of us have been through the beating he’s taken since he’s been here. Every time, he gets back up and goes back to work. I want this kid to win. I hope for his sake and for his legacy, he balls out this year.

31 points per game, with a couple of 8 minute drives. Giving up points on offense is offensive to me. Take care of the ball.

If we can’t win with that, then our issue is defense.

I expect our defense to hold each team under 24, maybe even score or give our offense a short field.

Reactions: cgrish
8 to 10 wins, which probably means SECE champs, with a potential CFB playoff appearance on the line vs Florduh. That’s probably the only way for me to remember anything but frustration with JG at the helm.

Reactions: 08Vol
JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

What would it take for you?

If he wins his next 13 games, that will make me a believer!

Reactions: jacvols and 08Vol
Has he beaten Georgia, Florida, or Alabama? Go back and watch every game last year like I did a few weeks ago. We won in spite of him.

Special teams won most games for us last year because of messes he put us in. The Indiana game he left lots of points on the board in the redzone.
The Vols didn’t beat those teams with him at QB. Go back and watch what? Are you suggesting that if we’d have had Peyton-level performance we’d have won any of those games you ridiculous fair-weather idiot? Peyton never beat FL. Shall we take our opinion down a few notches? No. Casey Claussen is the 3rd best QB in UT history statistically. Shall we name something after him? No on both accounts. I’ve watched the damn games. Anything else?

I get what you’re saying about his playmaking ability and missing big throws, but as hard as it is to believe, he was actually one of the best in the SEC on 3rd down.
I think that’s my biggest problem with JG. He misses a wide open DWA for maybe a TD and then a play or 2 later gets earholed while throwing a freaking rope on 3rd and long for a first down. During the same possession he has a huge miscommunication with the wideout and throws a nice curl route to a wide open Gator corner. I need consistency with JG before I’ll feel comfortable with him and not be sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for something bad to happen.

VN Store

Back