What would it take to change your mind about JG?

Given the situation with covid, quarantining, etc.. I've lowered my expectations a tad. I'm gonna be happy to see us complete the season at this point. We've already seen that all it takes is a hand full of guys to test positive and half the team is wiped out. And I know...i know...every team is dealing with the same issues. Just gonna be interesting to see which teams follow the protocols. May never know for sure...

May not come down to JG as much as we think. Throw all that stuff out the window though and it really is all about the type of season he has as to what our record looks like at the end of the year.

Competent QB play for an entire season along with middle of the pack stats. He doesn’t have to be a world beater but he can’t one of our primary weaknesses.

Either way I’m grateful he tried his best here and I’m not holding any ill will toward him. He can only be as good as his talent allows and/or as able as he’s coached.

Honestly I'd like to see him suck it up and transfer.

I would feel a lot better about our team if he did.

We've already seen what he can do. Or can't for that matter.

He's had years of practice and training.

I wish we could stop posting about him honestly.

I think we've all seen enough to make our fair judgment on him.

Reactions: jacvols and 08Vol
I just want him to not be the reason we lose ball games. Also would be nice to perform well in critical situations. If he does that then we will have a pretty good season.

I get what you’re saying about his playmaking ability and missing big throws, but as hard as it is to believe, he was actually one of the best in the SEC on 3rd down.

Or maybe Jennings was just that good on 3rd down.

Reactions: 08Vol
He was supposed to be a dual-threat QB. I'd like to see him in the same QB zip code as Heath Shuler when it comes to QB play. Heath wasn't always accurate either, but he had a cannon for an arm. He would cock that arm back while rolling out of the pocket and "freeze" LBs and then take off for 10-15 yards (or at least a first down). I believe JG has the same running ability if he's given the chance. We need him as the additional dimension on offense that he apparently has the talent to become. I truly believe his biggest weakness is throwing while running - but he can tuck it in and take off.
He's had the chance and has rarely ran. JG is not a true dual-threat QB, no matter what the recruiting services have said. Plus, JG couldn't carry Shuler's jock, running, passing and/or whatever. I hope JG makes me eat crow, but, so far, all he has done, is hurt my feelings. I really do think he is a good kid, just not a great or even, an above average, QB.

Play well against a team with a pulse. Only passes he ever completes end with the receiver getting tackled upon completion. Has he ever thrown a pass to a receiver in stride?

This is a great point. JG is so bad at hitting receivers in stride he found a way to pass for 400 yards and only 2 TDs. It’s almost impossible to pass for 400 and only score 2 TDs, but he found a way.

My biggest concern is that Bailey apparently isn't ready to beat out Shrout. This year will be a wash because of C19 virus, but this team isn't going anywhere without much better QB play.

I agree totally, good qb play will also help the running game very much. Imo we are a good qb from being a very good team.

I get what you’re saying about his playmaking ability and missing big throws, but as hard as it is to believe, he was actually one of the best in the SEC on 3rd down.
Didn't realize that. Maybe on 3rd down he stops overthinking and lets it fly. I'd like to see red zone offense drastically improve this season though.

It feels like he's been the QB here the last 10 years. I'm ready for a change

With the season in question anyway, because of covid. I would start any of the younger qb and get them game expierence. Jg has been here long enough imo he is already as good as he is gona ever be. I feel we would win just as many games with any of the other qb this year as with jg. And we would then have an experienced qb. I thought it was really bad when Maurer started his first game last year against probably one of the best defenses in the country. What would he have done if he had of been given the chance from game one last year. It appears Jg is a very good practice player and is not able to bring it to game time.

Reactions: vols 30
The first pass thrown, that goes 30 yards wide and 20 yards long, I will be back to this thread.

So I got off the bus last year, and like JG, I was late.

Why? I didn't see throws that demonstrated anticipation. Where the ball was in the air before the receiver came out of his break. What I did hear is more than one announcer say he needs to see an open receiver before he'll cut loose. The two are related.

It seemed that for the first half of the season ..... anytime it got tight, he is throwing to Callaway or JJ. On one 3rd down, as I recall, JJ was double teamed.....you could see it coming before the snap, but he threw it to him anyway, incomplete. He seemed to have made a decision pre-snap. Thank goodness Palmer stepped up, that seemed to relieve some of the pressure.......and added a name other than JJ or Callaway.

Even on my TV screen I can see receivers open, or coming open. And that's seeing just a small part of the field. Several who went to the game have noted open receivers out of my view. This is not seeing the field well......and pre-snap reads. Granted this may be a function of being in a new system.

Accuracy. So far he more miss than hit.....downfield. Receivers bailed him out and left a lot of YAC on the field. I personally can't fault him on it as that's a natural thing. Practice helps, but his natural ability is what it is. He can't change it as much as I can hit a golf ball with a 2 iron. There is a natural ceiling with some things......he has pretty much hit it. I don't expect a change at all.

If he is a practice warrior, and a good one, it hasn't translated to the field. When the lights go on, he isn't up for it. Unfortunately TN has needed someone to carry the team from time to time, not a game manager in regression. The defense bailed out the O the last half in 2019, so they had just enough to salvage a win. But none of them included GA, FL or AL. Bottom line, the QB position needs to average 10-14 more ppg.

Still off the bus......but a part does hope he can make a liar out of me.

He was supposed to be a dual-threat QB. I'd like to see him in the same QB zip code as Heath Shuler when it comes to QB play. Heath wasn't always accurate either, but he had a cannon for an arm. He would cock that arm back while rolling out of the pocket and "freeze" LBs and then take off for 10-15 yards (or at least a first down). I believe JG has the same running ability if he's given the chance. We need him as the additional dimension on offense that he apparently has the talent to become. I truly believe his biggest weakness is throwing while running - but he can tuck it in and take off.
Guarantano gets ran down by defense tackles regularly. Heath Shuler was a great dual threat college qb who actually had a feel for the game. Comparing Guarantano to a former great is blasphemy. Best case scenario Guarantano puts up stats similar to Crompton around 2700 yds 28 tds. Most likely scenario he mentally implodes vs South Carolina, and Shrout holds the Position until Bailey is ready to take over.

Before last season I said that we don’t need JG to go out and win games for us, but he just can’t do things that help us lose. I stand by that until he is consistently doing that. I’m not taking away any of the good things he’s done, because he really played a big part in us winning games, but at the same time he was still making big mistakes that lose games in the bowl game.

JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

What would it take for you?

I don't think I would change my mind.
First his real problem has not been his playing ability, but his mind has been his problem. Not to say he does not have a good mind, but an over cautious approach, also seems to think with a little "I know better" attitude when it comes to the play that he is told to run and just a little (maybe a lot) hard headed.
He can run, when he doesn't fear hurting. We think he is tough for taking punishment on "lost" pass plays. We think this because he waits around til he is gonna take punishment. You say," yeah but he keeps coming back for more". I think he keeps coming back for more because he thinks "I better than that, my receivers are the ones screwing up, I though he would figure it out that time, that's why my throw was late, I was waiting for him to get it right. Won't happen this time.
He can throw (maybe not pass very well) he can run (maybe well, who knows) but his main problem is in his mind. Only he can fix this. (maybe) I will give a small pat on the back,,,, maybe I is a little bit tough.
So I say - - - NO, I won't change my mind.

VN Store

Back