What was the first, best and worst concert you attended?

What was the first, best and worst concert you attended?

First: Steve Winwood, Roll with it tour in 1988, Columbus, Ohio, had backstage passes, was so much fun. One of my favorite songs back in the early 80’s was “While you see a chance”

Best: Smokey Robinson, in 2000, Columbus Zoo Amphitheater. That guy was incredible, plus I don’t think he ages.

Worst: UB40, 1988, Columbus, Ohio. I have always loved this band, but was disappointed that it seemed like it was lip synced, sounded exactly like the CD, not live at all.

First was kiss 1978 Jackson Mississippi

Best ZZ Top all 6 times and 3 doors down, chicken foot

Worst pat travers

Reactions: MAD
1st: I’m embarrassed to admit, but it was the Carpenters. Hey, I’d only just begun...

Best: Elton John-1980/2016, Guns n Roses-2017, they were kick a$$!

Worst: Not music, but at UT, Steve Martin, when he was a wild and crazy guy. He performed for about 15 minutes and he left the stage, they said he was sick. Next nite, he was on Johnny Carson, just fine. Hmmm...

Reactions: krichunaka and MAD
1st: I’m embarrassed to admit, but it was the Carpenters. Hey, I’d only just begun...

Best: Elton John-1980/2016, Guns n Roses-2017, they were kick a$$!

Worst: Not music, but at UT, Steve Martin, when he was a wild and crazy guy. He performed for about 15 minutes and he left the stage, they said he was sick. Next nite, he was on Johnny Carson, just fine. Hmmm...

No reason to be embarrassed by the Carpenters, Karen Carpenter had the voice of an angel.

First - Donovan
Best - Hard to say, but the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival in Byron, GA was bucket list
Worst - Ted Nugent in Montgomery, AL, 1974.

Reactions: TC 83 and MAD
First:
iu

Best:
iu

Worst:
iu

First was probably Ray Charles
Best: Original Hotel California Tour in the 70's.
Worst: Eric Clapton and Muddy Waters. Muddy saved the day. Clapton was wiped out. He couldn't remember the words and had trouble with the music. His keepers pulled him off stage, so we 3-1/2 hours of Muddy Waters, which was really good.

Slydell, FWIW I saw Leon Redbone about 30 years ago in Chattanooga. Loved his albums. Sad that he passed at a young 127 earlier this year.

Reactions: Slydell and MAD
First - Chicago. My older brother was a big fan, and saw them back in the day with Terry Kath, Peter Cetera. They would also be one of my best with their production mix of brass, percussion, and Kath playing lead guitar along with vocals from Cetera and Lamb.

Best - Eagles tour in the 70's. Always loved their harmonies, and iirc I think the lead in band was Andrew Gold (basically a one hit wonder band). Keith Urban is also one of my favorites. Seen him a few times. Always has a very entertaining show, and if you enjoy good music his band is filled with stellar musicians (obviously including himself).

Worst - Rob Thomas (sans Matchbox 20). Saw him at Chastain in Atlanta and it was just so so. The sound wasn't great (likely partly due to the sound system at Chastain), but also Thomas did nothing to engage the audience.... could have placed a CD player on the stage and it would have been just as entertaining.

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD
It's a beautiful day was the worst? I never saw them, but enjoyed their music.
I saw them in an earlier concert and they were great. Fast forward a few years. But then they went all coke/disco and ruined their vibe.

Slydell, FWIW I saw Leon Redbone about 30 years ago in Chattanooga. Loved his albums. Sad that he passed at a young 127 earlier this year.
I know. You never could tell his age. I saw him just after he got hot on SNL. I was within 30 feet and he could have passed for 20 or 40. Turns out that he was 3 years younger than me.

First - Chicago. My older brother was a big fan, and saw them back in the day with Terry Kath, Peter Cetera. They would also be one of my best with their production mix of brass, percussion, and Kath playing lead guitar along with vocals from Cetera and Lamb.

Best - Eagles tour in the 70's. Always loved their harmonies, and iirc I think the lead in band was Andrew Gold (basically a one hit wonder band). Keith Urban is also one of my favorites. Seen him a few times. Always has a very entertaining show, and if you enjoy good music his band is filled with stellar musicians (obviously including himself).

Worst - Rob Thomas (sans Matchbox 20). Saw him at Chastain in Atlanta and it was just so so. The sound wasn't great (likely partly due to the sound system at Chastain), but also Thomas did nothing to engage the audience.... could have placed a CD player on the stage and it would have been just as entertaining.

Andrew Gold only had a couple of hits as a solo act, but he also was largely responsible for Linda Ronstadt's hits as well. I love his guitar work in this video. Added bonus with Skunk Baxter on percussion and Clydie King (RIP) singing backup.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBlvNTmWrk and MAD
First was either Tanya Tucker or Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers

Best is tough. Pearl Jam in Charlotte or Carbon Leaf closing their tour last year in their home city of Richmond.

Worst? Hmmm, I’m going to go with DMB circa 2000. Dave was too drunk and stoned to get the words out of his mouth. Saw him six months later and he was almost worthy of being in the previous category

Honorable mention: Took my daughter to see Bare Naked Ladies with a meet and greet. The concert was good, but those guys were awesome in the meet and greet. They spent plenty of time talking to each person individually, signed any and everything put in front of them, and hung around until they were the last people out of the room.
BNL used to put on some really, really fun shows. I saw them several times; always a good time. "Rock Spectacle" would be part of a 3-4 album soundtrack to a 5 year window of my life.

Reactions: Proud2BaVol and MAD
First: Smashing Pumpkins at the Nashville Municipal Auditorium. Garbage opened.

Best: Tough call. Either Rage Against the Machine & Wu-Tang Clan at Starwood or Weezer & No Doubt at the same venue.

Worst: Probably Vanilla Ice at Moose's Music Hall, although I did take my wife to see NKOTB at Bridgestone Arena a few years ago.

First:Garth Brooks at TBA
Best: I saw David Allen Coe at a little bar off Merchants Dr in an unadvertised show. He played til about 3 in the morning and played his stuff, Hank Sr, Hank Jr, CCR, etc
Also, Bruno Mars in Vegas was very entertaining.
Worst: NKOTB

First = The Band with my parents
First without parents = Weezer Blue album
Best = Arcade Fire Suburbs album
Worst = Coldplay in nosebleeds of a basketball arena

Reactions: kiddiedoc and MAD
I should add, maybe the coolest show I remember was seeing Dave (1993?) at the small 328 Performance Hall in Nashville. Rusted Root opened, and we were maybe 15 feet from the stage. He was sweating his ass off from jamming, and people were walking up and handing him tallboys.

1-2 years later, he would be filling arenas.

First and best - Lynyrd Skynyrd (led by Johnny)/the doobie brothers/BAD CO./and Eric Clapton were all at Starwood amphitheater Nashville, TN in June of 1996 .. Skynyrd headlined

I should add, maybe the coolest show I remember was seeing Dave (1993?) at the small 328 Performance Hall in Nashville. Rusted Root opened, and we were maybe 15 feet from the stage. He was sweating his ass off from jamming, and people were walking up and handing him tallboys.

1-2 years later, he would be filling arenas.

That was a great tour with Rusted Root. I was at the 328 show. I saw a bunch of those shows around the Southeast.

They played Flamingos on the strip the year before and the Electric Ballroom on the tour with RR.

VN Store

Back