What was the first, best and worst concert you attended?

What has 9 arms and sucks? Def Leppard

Actually, the worst concert (that I wasnt dragged to by my wife) was the Red Hot Chili Peppers. They mailed it in and it barely lasted an hour...

Jason Aldean, Sam Hunt, Luke Bryan, and FG Line are awful. My wife actually apologized to me for Aldean and Hunt...

Forks of the River? I was there! Interestingly, I was just watching a (terrible quality) video of the Rage show from that festival on YouTube last week. Rage was insane, Metallica was my one and only crowd-surfing experience, and I made it all the way over the front wall, getting dumped to the ground right below Sir James. What a fun day that was.

If we are including festivals, my one Bonnaroo trip included some incredible artists: Dave, Trey A, Allman Bros, Drive by Truckers, Jack Johnson, Alison Krauss, STS9....
Yep, it was the first time I had ever been in a pit. I've only been in a couple to rival the one for Rage with everybody throwing stuff at the stage. I've been to other good shows, including Ozzfest. But none have ever quite measured up.

First - The Hooters and Loverboy in the old UTC Roundhouse

Best - Depeche Mode in San Antonio, TX as part of my 50th birthday celebration. Chris Stapleton or Blue Man Group are a distant 2nd and 3rd.

Worst - Accept as the opening act for Dio (Sacred Heart tour).

I’ll add the most unique concert I’ve ever been to was a Mexican group called “Raices Musicales”. They performed at Berea College when I was there. Imagine a 30 piece Mariachi band with marimbas, xylophones, and whatever else they could fit on stage.

Reactions: MAD
First: Trisha yearwood

Best: widespread panic, g-love, and government mule at worlds fair park...OR John prine at the brown theatre

Worst: steppenwolf. First song was magic carpet ride, last song was born to be wild. In-between was nothing I’d ever even heard of.
Maybe you were Snowblind my Friend.

First - New Kids (Nashville) I was in middle school and had 2 older sisters is the only reason I was there.
Best - Julia Michaels opens for Pink(ATL), followed by Adele(ATL). Other mentions: Punch Brothers opened for Paul Simon(New Orleans), Maroon 5(TBA), Garth Brooks(TBA), Harry Connick Jr.(TBA). Michael Buble(TBA), Blue Man Group(Vegas), Gaelic Storm(Bijou), Stomp(Civic Auditorium)
Worst - New Kids

Last edited:
Not sure who was my first with Riverbend. ZZ Top and Allman Brothers were both fairly early.

Best would have to Florence and the Machine at Shaky Knees. So much energy, and incredible crowd engagement. Best small name was Baskery, same event. But it started with only like 50 people there, me by accident. Ended with several hundred in a tiny venue while some big names were going on. Fun little bluegrass band.

Worst is a selection of Allman Brothers, no power in his voice, Nathaniel Rateliff was bad too. No power or energy on stage at all, you could hardly hear anything but the guitar and what I heard didnt impress me.

Yep, it was the first time I had ever been in a pit. I've only been in a couple to rival the one for Rage with everybody throwing stuff at the stage. I've been to other good shows, including Ozzfest. But none have ever quite measured up.

I was trying to explain how insane that was to my kids last week (promoting the search for a video). Wasn't there a fire hose involved?

I had seen Sepultura open for Ozzy prior to the Lollapalooza show, so I had experienced some crazy pit action already. That one was indoors and dark, which made it scarier....

I was trying to explain how insane that was to my kids last week (promoting the search for a video). Wasn't there a fire hose involved?

I had seen Sepultura open for Ozzy prior to the Lollapalooza show, so I had experienced some crazy pit action already. That one was indoors and dark, which made it scarier....
They had a fire truck there hosing people off because of how hot it was. I can't remember if they turned it on that pit or not. The only pits I have seen to rival it were Korn in the late 90s right after Follow the Leader came out, and Slayer. Korn basically turned the floor of the Knoxville civic colosseum into one giant pit during Blind and Slayer with just pure violence. But that rage pit was on the edge of a riot. I remember local PD breaking parts of it up toward the end of thier set.

At the Forks of the River Rage show I remember someone hoisting up a big confederate flag near the front. Zach started chanting "F You, I won't do what you told me" and pointing at the guy. All of a sudden the flag dropped. Probably not a good day for that guy.

The other thing I remember were the pizza cardboard cutout circles. People were flinging those everywhere. Hundreds flying across the crowd at different times.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
First: Joan Jett opening for Aerosmith at Starwood amphitheater

Best: Woodstock '94 (hard to pick between NIN and Green Day)

Worst: Probably Warrant opening for Poison my freshman year in college. Oh the spandex and hairspray

At the Forks of the River Rage show I remember someone hoisting up a big confederate flag near the front. Zach started chanting "F You, I won't do what you told me" and pointing at the guy. All of a sudden the flag dropped. Probably not a good day for that guy.

The other thing I remember were the pizza cardboard cutout circles. People were flinging those everywhere. Hundreds flying across the crowd at different times.
I forgot about the flag thing. I also remember couple of guys managing to make it onto the stage and diving off. One of then tried to grab Zach and I thought he was about to start throwing punches. Luckily the dude dove off the stage and the show went on.

I was 9 and my mother made me go to a Cristina Aguilera and destiny’s child concert with my sister and her friends because no one was home(they were 13) and as she put it “couldn’t stay by myself”.

Might be one of the worst experiences of my life.

First was probably Ray Charles
Best: Original Hotel California Tour in the 70's.
Worst: Eric Clapton and Muddy Waters. Muddy saved the day. Clapton was wiped out. He couldn't remember the words and had trouble with the music. His keepers pulled him off stage, so we 3-1/2 hours of Muddy Waters, which was really good.

First : Probably a local punk show with long forgotten bands. I do recall seeing Dropkick Murphys several times when a single 7" was their catalog.

Best : Chris Ledoux at Cheyenne Frontier Days. Too easy.

Worst : David Allen Coe. What a ****ing wreck.
We saw him at Blue Cats 15 or so years ago. He looked like Father Time, drank an entire fifth of JD during the set, and was basically trolling the crowd the entire time. You guys want to here you never even call me by name? Tough **** here’s another song I wrote with Uncle Kracker.

First: Charlie Daniels Band with Conway Twitty
Best: Florida Georgia Line
Worst: Miranda Lambert

1st- Bonnie Raitt
Best- Paul McCartney
Worst- Goo Goo Dolls- girlfriend really liked them before the show, not so much after.

First: Everclear (w/ Tori Amos, 7 Year Bitch, and Spacehog)

Best: Young the Giant. I have seen hundreds of bands in various concerts or festivals. I have now seen Young the Giant three times (Birmingham, Knoxville, and Nashville) and have loved it every time.

Worst: Alanis Morissette (without a doubt, the most horrendous, absolutely miserable time I have had at any live event I have ever experienced.)

Honorable mention: Took my daughter to see Bare Naked Ladies with a meet and greet. The concert was good, but those guys were awesome in the meet and greet. They spent plenty of time talking to each person individually, signed any and everything put in front of them, and hung around until they were the last people out of the room.

VN Store

Back