What was the first, best and worst concert you attended?

MAD

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
What was the first, best and worst concert you attended?

First: Steve Winwood, Roll with it tour in 1988, Columbus, Ohio, had backstage passes, was so much fun. One of my favorite songs back in the early 80’s was “While you see a chance”

Best: Smokey Robinson, in 2000, Columbus Zoo Amphitheater. That guy was incredible, plus I don’t think he ages.

Worst: UB40, 1988, Columbus, Ohio. I have always loved this band, but was disappointed that it seemed like it was lip synced, sounded exactly like the CD, not live at all.

First: Van Halen

Best...that's tough, some of my favorites over the years: Eagles, DMB, Metallica, Phish, Tool, Punch Brothers, Sturgill, Isbell...

Worst: Jason Aldean/FL-GA Line (not my doing!)

Reactions: Vjcvette and MAD
First: Bob Seger

Best: Lollapalooza 96, Metallica, Sound Garden, Rage Against The Machine, Rancid, The Ramones, and Sponge all at one show.

Worst: Korn and Puddle of Mudd in Roanoke VA. Saw Korn 2 others times before that and they were great. But that show was terrible.

First: Bob Seger

Best: Lollapalooza 96, Metallica, Sound Garden, Rage Against The Machine, Rancid, The Ramones, and Sponge all at one show.

Worst: Korn and Puddle of Mudd in Roanoke VA. Saw Korn 2 others times before that and they were great. But that show was terrible.

Saw Lollapalooza '93. Primus, Alice in Chains, Dino Jr, Fishbone, Tool and Rage. There were hardly any people at the stage for Rage, they had yet to blow up, but they were my favorite that day.

Reactions: JCHateSteve and MAD
Saw Lollapalooza '93. Primus, Alice in Chains, Dino Jr, Fishbone, Tool and Rage. There were hardly any people at the stage for Rage, they had yet to blow up, but they were my favorite that day.
Rage's pit sent several people to the emergency room in 96. Bulls on Parade had just hit a couple of months before. It was nuts. Saw Tool the next year at Lollapalooza 97. 96 had a bunch of Ska bands on the Indie stage and Ben Folds 5 on the second stage, which was fun.

First - Waylon and Willie

Best - Hank JR and George Jones back in their heyday (they both actually showed up). I was a wild-eyed 16yr old county boy, with a cute Blonde GF and a boot flask of JD.

Worst - Hank JR at Smokey stadium. Music was good, but I got thrown out for dropping two big-headed drunk Cocke county boys. They were mouthy and started fighting with a guy in front of us, then it spilled over into me and my two middle school sons. Hated it happened with my sons there and we missed the majority of the show.

Make good choices,

CH_V

I think my first was the Willie Nelson 4th of July Picnic at Atlanta motor speedway. Back in the day. Totally awesome. David Allen Coe parachuted down for his stage entrance. Probably the first real exposure for the Stray Cats, and you could see Willie side stage sitting on a cooler watching them.

The best was probably Paul McCartney. Saw him in '92 at the GA Dome. He gave you what you paid for and then some. Over 3 hours with no opening act. Close to a tie would be Rod Stewart at Lakewood Amphitheater.

Love them or hate them, Bon Jovi was a great live concert.

Wasn't a bad concert, actually quite good, but of the ones I've been to, Huey Lewis would have to take back seat. Saw him in Abilene, TX mid-80's. Was really good live. Just not a McCartney or other big act.

Never been to many concerts. I can think of 5.

First : Probably a local punk show with long forgotten bands. I do recall seeing Dropkick Murphys several times when a single 7" was their catalog.

Best : Chris Ledoux at Cheyenne Frontier Days. Too easy.

Worst : David Allen Coe. What a ****ing wreck.

First: I believe it was Sawyer Brown

Best: Travis Tritt just a year ago!

Worst: Jason Aldean although I did get to hang out/meet his smoking hot wife!

Reactions: MAD
First: Black Sabbath with Bob Seger opening

Best: long list but right now I'd put Cheap Trick a few years back in a local venue at the top. Ben Harper at Horde Fest in Wisc. a close second.

Worst: Starship with The Outfield opening at Pensacola Beach - a full on ear assault but it was free

Reactions: MAD and JCHateSteve
First: KISS

Best: Motley Crue*

Worst: Whitesnake (wife's idea....not mine)

I have been to a lot of concerts and to be honest I enjoyed them all. And yes, I am a big fan of "Hair Bands."

*The only reason for naming Motley Crue the best was for one simple reason......all the boobs I saw that night!!

my first concert was the mighty mighty Bosstones when I was in high school. I don’t remember much about it but can’t imagine it was good either

Reactions: MAD
First: Trisha yearwood

Best: widespread panic, g-love, and government mule at worlds fair park...OR John prine at the brown theatre

Worst: steppenwolf. First song was magic carpet ride, last song was born to be wild. In-between was nothing I’d ever even heard of.

Worst was Merle Haggard at the CC about 30 years ago. He tried to sing 1 or 2. Stepped back into his band and strummed his guitar a little while. Stepped up to the mic, said "I'm sorry" and left. But the Judd's were a great middle act (Ricky Van Shelton opened).

Also saw Buddy Guy at the World's Fair Park run off after about 20 minutes due to a rain storm. A refund would have been cool. He probably played the minimum that allowed him to take the money and run without a legal backlash.

Forks of the River? I was there! Interestingly, I was just watching a (terrible quality) video of the Rage show from that festival on YouTube last week. Rage was insane, Metallica was my one and only crowd-surfing experience, and I made it all the way over the front wall, getting dumped to the ground right below Sir James. What a fun day that was.

If we are including festivals, my one Bonnaroo trip included some incredible artists: Dave, Trey A, Allman Bros, Drive by Truckers, Jack Johnson, Alison Krauss, STS9....

VN Store

Back