What the Other Guys are saying -- Mizzou version (and some post-game USCe, too)

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
The Mizzou fans aren't talking much about the upcoming game yet. Still rehashing how well they did losing to Bama. I'm not kidding, heh, they're over there taking some real positives out of that loss. (I don't know if they're justified in doing so; I didn't watch that game).

So I only found two threads of real interest over there--and by the way, they have the WORST-designed fan boards in the SEC. Painful to read, every time.

First thread was about the spread:
Mizzou 13 point dogs at Tenn*
I think I’d take the Tigers and points
Vols have been stockpiling some pretty good athletes
During the past 3 years. All they needed was a coach not to FUBAR the situation.
Vols by two TDs.
Vegas must not think much of our QB controversy/competition
Our defense is good enough to keep this under a 2 TD game. Can our offense get some consistency? One of these QBS needs to step up and take the job.

The other thread is about one of their QBs. Apparently the guy has a couple of really nice stat lines out of the Bama game. As the OP's fellow fans point out, though, it's a bit misleading:
Mizzou's Shawn Robinson leads the SEC in completion %
Through one week, Mizzou's Shawn Robinson leads the SEC in completion percentage (76.0). Only two P5 quarterbacks better in the country: Clemson's Trevor Lawrence & TCU's Max Duggan
He throws the ball only 3 yards down field
He had one long completion on a busted coverage for a TD. The rest were swing passes and TDs.
How many yards? High % for passes that don't mean anything
Probably because his throws are so far behind the los

And that's pretty much it for Mizzou. I don't blame them for not having many people on that board; it is butt ugly and hard to follow.

Here's the link in case you feel like torturing yourself, heh. Missouri Tigers Athletics :: Mizzou College Sports :: TigerBoard.com :: Football Board

~ ~ ~

Meanwhile, a last look back at South Carolina's main board. More populated, more traffic, more variety to read. And heads-up, longer posts from some fans dissecting their performance and the direction of their program. Warning, it's mostly gloom--with a little humor thrown in:

My honest take on tonight and the state of our program
Ok first off i came in with abysmal expectations this year that being said ... Hill looked tremendous . If he had playmakers he could be a potential All SEC QB but ...... he doesn’t . Besides Shi we got nothing . Bobo called a good game but we are absolutely devoid of playmakers . This is the elephant with Muschamp . Unlike others I don’t think he meddles with the offense , his problem is no sane Top WR , RB or Ath want to play for him . Lloyd was an outlier . No skill players want to play in his system . In year 5 the defense still gets bullied and blows coverages despite all the immense talent on that side of the ball . How T-Rob is still here blows my mind . I think I’ve come to the realization that the Spurrier day’s are “As good as its. Gonna get “. Our AD is ok with the results and as long as we keep watching and buying tickets it’s business as usual . I thought bringing in a guy like Leach would be a high risk high reward swing for the fences move but I guess Tanner sees something I just don’t see . Not even really upset with this loss just kinda .. meh . It feels like the Spark / Scott days where i expect to beat Vandy and KY and expect to get obliterated by the big boy programs and the rest are just coin flips . Either way don’t really care enough to get upset anymore .
We do have a glimpse of hope. Season could still be canceled. So there is that
I think many share the sentiments in this thread. We have now reached a dangerous time for our program. When the fans’ anger turns to apathy, we need to recognize we are overdue for change.
This game was kind of a reflection of the program. UT is decent. Not a bottom feeder, but not one of the elites either. Its a home game. And a game where USC had plenty of chances to win. Nothing illustrates that more than when UT screws up a punt and gives USC great field position. A score gives USC control of the game. And then UT seemed to have the upper hand the rest of the game. So it is with the program as a whole. One can find glimmers of hope, but at the end of the day seemingly a program on a treadmill of being very average and mediocre. I don't think anybody thought this was going to be a special season, but UT was one of those winnable, swing games, that makes the difference between a decent season and one that leaves a bit to be desired.
A few years ago UT was the laughing stock of the East. Now I think we're all in agreement that they're better than us. What happened?Look at our W/L season by season with Muschamp. Which way are we trending? What do we forecast for the rest of this season? 3-7? 2-8?Admittedly against tougher competition but nonetheless. How's our recruiting? I'd say pedestrian. What is our vision, what are we trying to build? I can't tell you.

You say we were better. Meh, maybe. We're still running a 10 minute mile in a conference full of sprinters. And the gap ain't closing.

It is reassuring to see that the Gamecocks have their Bearded, MWA, and IknoxvolsI fans, too:
Too much hate and vitriol
I thought when sports came back and politics slowed down, this place would be more pleasant. But you guys have replace political hate with hate for our own team. The doom and gloom crowd is ready to pronounce the season dead after a pretty good game against UT wherein we had a legitimate chance to win it. I'm disappointed by the loss, but I see much improvement. There were mistakes, but every team has some of those. Two of those mistakes specifically cost us huge. TWO freaking mistakes away from victory. TWO plays against a middle of the crowd UT team. Not great, but better than we were, which is what we want to be: Better. Maybe later, we'll be good, maybe we won't. Time will tell. I just dislike all the outright hatred for all things Carolina right now. I'll be around if you need me, but I may not post as often (and certainly won't be reading as many posts) because it hurts me to see fans and alumni disparage EVERYTHING about the school I love.

Finally, have to be fair and acknowledge a few of them are reasonable folks and have a decent outlook on life:
I only know college football is back, and it's the single best thing that's happened to me in 7 months. I'm going to enjoy it one way or the other....hopefully the Cocks grow up in the coming week and ave people talking about them in a good way by season's end.
I was pleasantly surprised yesterday. The offense seemed to have some direction (It seemed like a rudderless ship last year) and the defense looked nice. We will be able to play with most teams this season. That’s not counting any games as wins, but I feel like we should be in all of the games late.

Will check Mizzou's board out again in a couple of days, see if there's more about the upcoming weekend.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I watched Josh Pate's breakdown of the games and he said he would take Mizzou to cover at +10.5 this weekend against us. He said the score didn't indicate how well Mizzou played. He said they played well and were disciplined considering their opponent. May be tougher than we think. With better QB play I think we would have beat SCjr by much more, but if I'm a betting man JG trots out this Saturday too. I really want him to do well, but it looked like the same ol crap Saturday.

I watched Josh Pate's breakdown of the games and he said he would take Mizzou to cover at +10.5 this weekend against us. He said the score didn't indicate how well Mizzou played. He said they played well and were disciplined considering their opponent. May be tougher than we think. With better QB play I think we would have beat SCjr by much more, but if I'm a betting man JG trots out this Saturday too. I really want him to do well, but it looked like the same ol crap Saturday.
I think if we run the ball a little more it'll help JG out. Mightve been asked to do too much. Otherwise his decision making was good and he did in fact make some good throws. So I'm thinking we run the ball more, we open up the pass more for him and he hopefully continues the good decision making into a another decent performance.

Don't want to jinx us, but I expect Mizzou to be in the bottom 3 of the SEC this year. They kept the Bama score closer than expected, but might look better on paper than reality because most of the points came in garbage time. It was 35-3 and Bama had their backups in, before Mizzou made it 38-19.

The Mizzou fans aren't talking much about the upcoming game yet. Still rehashing how well they did losing to Bama. I'm not kidding, heh, they're over there taking some real positives out of that loss. (I don't know if they're justified in doing so; I didn't watch that game).

So I only found two threads of real interest over there--and by the way, they have the WORST-designed fan boards in the SEC. Painful to read, every time.

The other thread is about one of their QBs. Apparently the guy has a couple of really nice stat lines out of the Bama game. As the OP's fellow fans point out, though, it's a bit misleading:

And that's pretty much it for Mizzou. I don't blame them for not having many people on that board; it is butt ugly and hard to follow.

Here's the link in case you feel like torturing yourself, heh. Missouri Tigers Athletics :: Mizzou College Sports :: TigerBoard.com :: Football Board

~ ~ ~

Meanwhile, a last look back at South Carolina's main board. More populated, more traffic, more variety to read. And heads-up, longer posts from some fans dissecting their performance and the direction of their program. Warning, it's mostly gloom--with a little humor thrown in:

It is reassuring to see that the Gamecocks have their Bearded, MWA, and IknoxvolsI fans, too:

Finally, have to be fair and acknowledge a few of them are reasonable folks and have a decent outlook on life:

Will check Mizzou's board out again in a couple of days, see if there's more about the upcoming weekend.

Go Vols!

Getting positives out of a loss. VN doesn't get anything positive out of a win.

I think it’s laughable that everyone is making huge assumptions after Week 1 in a year like this. I don’t think anyone knows what the landscape of the SEC will look like in the next few weeks. To say we are middle of the crowd or that Florida is a NC contender is insane.

~ ~ ~

Go Vols!
Woah, shots fired....are mine not good enough😁

Whoops, sorry Rock, didn't realize you were doing these this year.

I will absolutely step aside and leave you to it. With thanks.

Go Vols!
LMAO, nah, you're good man. You rocked this one and did a heck of a job. Now I dont have to for this week and can focus on this week going by fast to get my wife on her little girls trip Friday to have the house with just my kids for the weekend haha (FREEDOM). You had a great idea though to include what the other teams message boards are saying after a UT win. I almost did another thread of that yesterday, but I couldn't go to sleep Saturday night which is the only reason I hate late games....I cant turn off my excitement if UT wins and if UT loses, I think about it for a while.

LMAO, nah, you're good man. You rocked this one and did a heck of a job. Now I dont have to for this week and can focus on this week going by fast to get my wife on her little girls trip Friday to have the house with just my kids for the weekend haha (FREEDOM). You had a great idea though to include what the other teams message boards are saying after a UT win. I almost did another thread of that yesterday, but I couldn't go to sleep Saturday night which is the only reason I hate late games....I cant turn off my excitement if UT wins and if UT loses, I think about it for a while.
Heh, I get no credit for that good idea. It was @McDad who thought up checking back in on them after.

Here's hoping you have a hard time turning off the excitement after the Mizzou game, too. :)

Missouri vs Tennessee

This board is at least running on Windows XP instead of MS DOS like the other

They're really taking a lot of positives away from their loss to Bama
I circled this game because if Eli can beat Tennessee we got a decent chance to be the second best team in the East.

I have a down to the wire game with Mizzou winning.

Mizzou - 34
Tennessee - 28

Thoughts?

Now this is funny, saw this on there. Guess they didn't follow us for the last 6 games.

"re: Missouri vs TennesseePosted on 9/28/20 at 1:06 pm
It will be interesting. No way to know what to expect because teams typically improve the most from week 1 to week 2. So I think we should be a lot better but UT might get a lot better, too.

I would think this means we could win rather handily as UT's coach is a known commodity at this point and I don't recall UT ever having a significant improvement in season with this coach.

-11 for UT seems like a ridiculous line."

They did get 20 first downs and converted on 50% of 3rd down opportunities.... leading rusher averaged almost 5 ypc... bama only scored 1 TD in 2nd half. There's defintetly some positives to take away from it if your missouri

Now this is funny, saw this on there. Guess they didn't follow us for the last 6 games.

It will be interesting. No way to know what to expect because teams typically improve the most from week 1 to week 2. So I think we should be a lot better but UT might get a lot better, too.

I would think this means we could win rather handily as UT's coach is a known commodity at this point and I don't recall UT ever having a significant improvement in season with this coach.

Yeah, Tennessee is about the most bipolar opposite team in the nation. We have had major turn arounds in our season under back to back head coaches.

Very weird how the Mizzou board posters seem so much more confident than the South Carolina people. The idea that Mizzou is the 2nd best team in the SEC East is extremely far-fetched. Are they really this confident just because of a few garbage time TDs against Alabama?

I think SCe is a much better team than Mizzou fwiw.

Very weird how the Mizzou board posters seem so much more confident than the South Carolina people. The idea that Mizzou is the 2nd best team in the SEC East is extremely far-fetched. Are they really this confident just because of a few garbage time TDs against Alabama?

I hope you are correct and I hope we play a little better against mizzery.

I know this is a message board for thoughts and opinions but we really do not have much to judge at this point. Not to mention, heaven forbid, what if we have more out due to covid next week? Its really a week to week question mark at this point.

Keep in mind people in Missouri know next to nothing about football. They are a baseball/basketball state, and not even a great basketball program anymore. The state lost their NFL franchise. They also lean heavily on that brief shining couple of years when Tennessee, Georgia and Florida all sucked and the toughest competition in the East was Spurrier and the Cocks. They dont realize how the world is actually supposed to work in the SEC.

Wow..... What a spectacular display of no awareness.....

I guess he doesn't know beating them kinda made our season turnaround official and clinched a Bowl spot for us last year.

VN Store

Back