What sports moment broke your heart the worst?

1993,1994,1995,1996,1997,1999,2000,2002,2014,2015,2017 Florida games. The back half of the games above starting with 1999 should have all been wins. 89, 90,91,92,93,94 Bama games. We had just as much talent as them during these years and should have won the majority. Also 90 ND, 92 SC and ARK, 96 Memphis, 99 ARK, 01 GA, 02 MD, 03 Clemson, all PA ST bowls, 15 OK and of course 01 SECCG. GA ST is an honorable. mention. 80 % of the games listed above should have been won yet we lost due to coaching malpractice.

01 SECCG win that and we are one of the best teams up until this day imo. That game started our downfall and gave Saban SEC cred. It allowed Bama, LSU, and Clemson to rise and take our spot.

Reactions: onevol74 and MAD
There are lots. But here are two. 1990, UT & Bama tied at 6. UT lines up with just a few seconds left on the clock to kick the winning field goal. Bama blocks it (they're good at that with us), the ball goes bounding down the field toward UT's goal, and Bama recovers. THEY . . . . . kick the winner with time running out. BAMA 9 - UT 6. Fast forward to 2009 when the Kiffster had Bammer on the ropes and we could have won with either of two field goal attempts, but their JC transfer, the tree, the mountain, or whatever they called him blocked not one, but TWO field goal attempts by UT. Bama 12 - UT 10. All losses suck, but those are the two that REALLY stick out for me. There are many others.

No but they would still have had 2 more tries from short yardage

Yeh they would have and chances were pretty good that they'd have scored , but it was gut wrenching to be robbed of the chance to keep them out .

There are lots. But here are two. 1990, UT & Bama tied at 6. UT lines up with just a few seconds left on the clock to kick the winning field goal. Bama blocks it (they're good at that with us), the ball goes bounding down the field toward UT's goal, and Bama recovers. THEY . . . . . kick the winner with time running out. BAMA 9 - UT 6. Fast forward to 2009 when the Kiffster had Bammer on the ropes and we could have won with either of two field goal attempts, but their JC transfer, the tree, the mountain, or whatever they called him blocked not one, but TWO field goal attempts by UT. Bama 12 - UT 10. All losses suck, but those are the two that REALLY stick out for me. There are many others.
The 90 Bama game I was in NY on business and missed the game, I read about it the next morning. Shows how social media has changed our lives so much. To this day that one is such a disappointment.
On the other hand, the 09 game felt ‘almost like a victory’, we were such heavy underdogs, I felt very prideful after that game.

Reactions: PhoenixAZVol
The Jabar Gaffney "catch" was sickening as it gets and the loss to LSU in the SECCG
That Florida game had two TDs that shouldn't have counted. Everyone remembers the Gaffney "gaff," but the outstanding officiating crew also awarded Earnest Graham a TD earlier in the game when his knee clearly touched the turf at the 2-yard-line before he reached the ball over the goal line. As anyone can tell, I got over it years ago. 🙄

2001 seccg! I talked so much crap to my LSU friend plus it was my birthday! I'm about to cry again! Excuse me! Gbo!

Reactions: MAD
Terrence. Cody. 2009

That was a weird, crushing moment for me. I was at my GF's house watching it with her dad while she and her sisters were busy in the other room. As soon as we are about to kick the field goal, the GF comes in and turns the channel...we both started screaming, "WTF ARE YOU DOING." We flip back to see Bama and Cody celebrating.

That was a weird, crushing moment for me. I was at my GF's house watching it with her dad while she and her sisters were busy in the other room. As soon as we are about to kick the field goal, the GF comes in and turns the channel...we both started screaming, "WTF ARE YOU DOING." We flip back to see Bama and Cody celebrating.

You probably would have walked with a public defender in that case. #missedopportunities

Ah hell. Lol. Man I just remember my brother (RIP) screaming "All that sh*t bama fans been giving me the past few years, I'm finna give it back to em in one day!" ..... then Lincoln proceeded to kick ANOTHER low line drive that even danny diveto could have blocked. Smh

There's been a lot over the past 20 or so years.
Gaffney "catch". I was 13 and it was the last time I cried over Tennessee football.
Hobnail boot
2001 SEC Championship
13 men on the field at LSU
Music City Bowl. That whole night just sucked for me.
Pig Howard fumbling out of the end zone
Oklahoma and Florida. Classic Butch
2017 Florida, losing on the Hail Mary

NCAA Tourney losses
2007 to OSU, blowing a 19 point lead
2010 to Michigan State, 1 point away from Final Four
2014 vs. Michigan. That wasn't a charge.
2019 vs. Purdue. Gut wrenching.

I'll also throw in these
2010 Game 5 of Preds-Blackhawks playoff series
2010 Gold Medal hockey game vs. Canada. Friggin Crosby.

The Florida game in 1995.
The Florida game in 1996.
The Florida game in 1997.
The Florida game in 1999.
The Florida game in 2000.

95 seemed like a win, then disaster. 96 disaster all the way. 97 interception before half turned it in their favor. 99 was Alex brown. Four first half field goals kept them close along with a fatal pick six by Lito Shuffle (😀) ultimately led to Gaffney's non-catch the next year.

Honorable mention 2001 SEC Title game. Two terrible fumbles. 2007 SEC Title game. Two devastating interceptions. Florida games hurt worse. Always will.

For me, I guess it also depends on where I was at in life when the games were being played.

1996 Memphis was my first season as a true fan (I was 12), and my grandfather’s kidneys failed, and we listened the unthinkable happen in the parking lot of the hospital (it was better to listen to John Ward). My grandfather recovered with a transplant to see some better seasons until he passed a few years later.

2001 SECCC I was a Jr in High School in suburbs of Atlanta, and I went to the game after missing 97 and 98 championship games in person. I couldn’t miss a chance at seeing a SECCC win in person. Well, you know the outcome. What a depth chart at LSU. I got teased a bunch after the loss. We still owned GA at that point though which was some solace. Little did I know that 2 David’s we played in high school would become a pain.

2003 UGA game in Knoxville I’m traveling with UGA fans from Athens after I swung over from Atlanta. I witness Casey Clausen fumble the go ahead score before halftime, and UGA go 92 yds with 7 seconds left. The momentum became Georgia’s, and I ended up with the flu post game making the ride home even worse.

2004 (my first year at UT as a transfer which was a fun year) and 2007 SEC Championship games. Once again, I have to see these in person. With the first game memories consisting of the holding calls erasing touchdowns vs Auburn and Pick 6’s ruining a solid game vs LSU, I felt like the Dome and my presence was a curse.

Even though LSU game had more implications for 2010, the UNC Music City Bowl game I watched on an iPod Touch in Rome at 4AM on a VPN paying $28 an hour for streaming quality Internet was a tough pill to swallow. I ran out of time right as the flag was thrown on the kick. I pay a fresh $28 to see the loss. I could’ve gone to bed thinking we won.

I can’t pick a particular Florida loss. I’ve seen a drop be a catch on TV to where my uncle has to go on a long walk for 3 hours and the whole family is mad. I saw the Tebow years in person sitting in donor seats next to FL fans (pathetic). I’ve hosted viewing parties as a chapter President where I probably embarrassed myself, but so did everyone else after a 4th and 26 or Hail Mary.

The losses at Vandy also stung after driving 13 hours to see both with one preventing a Sugar Bowl trip in 2016.

With all this being said TLDR. Life around the sport makes the events more memorable. All I know, is that I’ve also been blessed to see Manning play, some of 98 games in person, sideline for 2004 Georgia game in Athens and Trooper Taylor picked me up after we stopped Greene, epic double digit comebacks, some bowl victories, Battle at Bristol I was working in Roanoke, VA so it was doubly sweet), and be a part of the greatest fan base (even though we are passionate to a fault) in the country.

VN Store

Back