What sports moment broke your heart the worst?

I was watching, at home, doing some chores around the house, when the wreck happened. I remember thinking, of all things, Dale wrecks, doing the very thing he hates (Blocking). I got in the car, and headed to my parent's house. About half-way there, the gut-wrenching news broke. Dale Earnhardt, is dead. I was so stunned, I had to pull over, and process what had just happened.
I have never fully recovered from it. I am not the NASCAR fan, I once was.
Have you seen "Blink of an Eye"? I am not a NASCAR fan, and I watched it on the airplane coming back from NY a few months ago. I am glad it was an empty flight because it is a real tear jerker. And Michael Waltrip is one class guy.

Reactions: MAD and kbear01
As a young kid in junior high, the only time I have ever cried when a sports team of mine lost was when Ken Stabler through that wounded duck pass in the back of the end zone to Clarence Davis to beat my Miami Dolphins in the AFC playoffs in 1974. Final Score 28-27, IIRC.
football-afc-championship-oakland-raiders-clarence-davis-in-action-picture-id108324081

I too was a Dolphin fan and desperately wanted them to win 3 in a row. It hurt but not as bad as 2001 SECCG. That prevented Tennessee from playing in Rose Bowl for NC vs Miami.

Reactions: MAD
I can never figure out why steroids in baseball are such a bad thing. You still have to make contact with the ball.
Its really about the 162 game grind. Steroids are a big aid in recovering faster, from day to day dings and aggravating injuries.

The time that Alabama beat the snot out of the gattors, and Tim Tebow started crying......that was rather sad

I am surprised to see so many different answers from Vols fans.

I do not see ANY way possible for any Vol who was there for the "No Catch" to ever say any other disappointment was bigger though .

Neyland went dead silent. Not a bunch of screaming and cussing...not at 1st anyway.
Disbelief. Utter shock that the Vandy grad terrible shaved head black ref that has haunted us for many years in the big CBS games against GA and UF...that even he...could throw his arms up and call that a TD for Jabar Gaffney....worst call that I have ever seen in college sports. Worst. The disbelief was stunning...like watching Barry Hussein Obama get reelected for a 2nd term...complete disbelief and sadness. My dad lost a few tears. Only the 2nd time that I ever saw him cry.

Manning & Colts loss to the Saints is the worst I remember. 2nd place - Redskins loss to Raiders in 83. 3rd - UT’s loss to LSU in 2000 or 2001? LSU qb’s name was Mauck. Kelly Washington and Travis Stephens were on the team. Travis made a big run in the 2nd half which probably would have sealed a win but was stripped as he was being tackled from behind.

I was a youngster (sorta), but very much into the Vols. The Archie Who game still ranks right up there with the worst of them.
I was at UT when this happened and agree it was a tough loss. As a kid, my dad always took me to the Chattanooga game because it was a sure win. But we lost in the late 50s and I cried like a baby.

Reactions: Smokey X
2001 sec championship. Needs no elaboration.
1999 Arkansas game cost us a chance at a rematch against FSU that year. We were ahead of va tech in the bcs that week. Much better team than Arkansas as well.
1992 Arkansas game. We were ranked #4 with a game against eventual champion bama in 1-2 weeks. Arkansas first year in the league. Cost us the SEC East. Major’s firing was inevitable after that game.

Reactions: kbear01
Another heartbreak was the 1971 Auburn game. Tennessee defense dominated Auburn & Pat Sullivan all day. Driving for the score to put the game away late in the 4th Qtr., Tennessee QB Dennis Chadwick fumbled inside the 20 yard line and Sullivan, with one last chance, drove Auburn 80+ yards to score the TD and win 10-9.

What hurt so bad was Auburn was the only team to beat Tennessee in 1970 so the ‘71 game was revenge and it didn’t happen.

Another heartbreak was the 1971 Auburn game. Tennessee defense dominated Auburn & Pat Sullivan all day. Driving for the score to put the game away late in the 4th Qtr., Tennessee QB Dennis Chadwick fumbled inside the 20 yard line and Sullivan, with one last chance, drove Auburn 80+ yards to score the TD and win 10-9.

What hurt so bad was Auburn was the only team to beat Tennessee in 1970 so the ‘71 game was revenge and it didn’t happen.

The UT vs AU game used to be such a great rivalry until the split came along. I think it was bigger than the Georgia or Florida games.

2001 sec championship. Needs no elaboration.
1999 Arkansas game cost us a chance at a rematch against FSU that year. We were ahead of va tech in the bcs that week. Much better team than Arkansas as well.
1992 Arkansas game. We were ranked #4 with a game against eventual champion bama in 1-2 weeks. Arkansas first year in the league. Cost us the SEC East. Major’s firing was inevitable after that game.
That was his first game back, after his heart-attack. We were 5-0, and had beaten UGA, between the Hedges, and The Gators, soundly, in Knoxville, in a down-pour.
That was the first, of three straight losses. Arkansas, Bama, and South Carolina.
Majors was finished, at this point.

And Wohlers could not throw another strike the rest of his careeer.
This truly hurt. Mark Wohlers was never the same, after that pitch. Could've been a second consecutive World Series Title, and Mark Wohlers could've been a HOF reliever, throwing fireballs, at 103 mph.

There was a bunch of them. '96 Memphis was one. Special teams disaster in '90 and the Mt. Cody block was another. 2001 LSU and last year's BYU finish still burns!

VN Store

Back