What sports moment broke your heart the worst?

2001 SEC Championship Game
2007 SEC Championship Game
Game vs. LSU with 13 men on the field
Music City Bowl vs. UNC with more than 11 men on the field (the same year)
Terrance Cody blocking the winning field goal in 2009.
Pig Howard fumbling out of the end zone against UGA in 2013.
Florida beating a 4th and 26(?) to beat us?
BYU this year (was there, that one hurt)
Georgia State

I can't keep doing this. My heart hurts.
We on VN are gluttons for punishment. BVS has no vaccine, either.

2001 SEC Championship Game
2007 SEC Championship Game
Game vs. LSU with 13 men on the field
Music City Bowl vs. UNC with more than 11 men on the field (the same year)
Terrance Cody blocking the winning field goal in 2009.
Pig Howard fumbling out of the end zone against UGA in 2013.
Florida beating a 4th and 26(?) to beat us?
BYU this year (was there, that one hurt)
Georgia State

I can't keep doing this. My heart hurts.
The Pig Howard fumble was a tough one, i didn't think of that.

2001 SECCG. Hands down. I have other teams in other sports, but (like most on here) nothing comes close to the emotional investment I have in Tennessee football. That was the worse loss in my lifetime most costly and gut-wrenching me, especially considering we had the better team.

Likely in UT football history.... I have said it before, on this site and at the time, I will always believed it would set the program back 10 years. Now it seems it was the start of what has become a 20 year dark period.

1960 World Series. Mazeroski's walk off HR beat my Yankees. Was 11 then, stilll have trouble watching a replay. Most one sided series in history and Pirates still won.

I like your remembering. Not many on here got a chance to see/hear real baseball as it was played back then. Saw it live on TV at the time, one helluva hit..... (I have always been a NL fan and NEVER a Yankee fan.)

Reactions: MAD
1996 Loss to Florida at home. Peyton's junior year. Vols ranked #2, Gators #4. Florida runs out to a 35-0 lead 21 minutes in. Most of the crowd leaves at halftime. Never been so mad. On the plus side, helped me put football in perspective - enjoy the wins and move on quickly from the losses.

This is mine
2016 Texas A&M 2 OT loss
Dobbs interception ends the game

Us old timers may remember the home loss to bama in 1965, 11-10 I believe. We missed a game winning f.g. In the last seconds in the rain. It sure looked good from the student section. I’m not sure why that loss still seems so heartbreaking. May have been the cheap bourbon I sneaked in.

Unfortunately there are way too many heart breaker games for sure but agree with several posters, the 2001 SECCG loss has to be the biggest as it had the most on the line, a win, Vols played Miami for the NC. And to make it worse, Vol D knocked out LSU's starting QB and running back and we still lost. I don't think any other loss can top this one.

The 20-20 game in 1987 was just as disappointing.
I dunno about that one. We were down by 10 in the fourth quarter and we came roaring back with about 2 minutes to go. That Auburn team was better than us, too. You could say that we "won" the tie in 1987 and "lost" the tie with Auburn in 1990 when they made a similar type comeback on us.

2001 SEC Championship game.
Never understood how Vol fans held John Chavis in so high regard after that game. He sealed that image for me after the hobnail boot game in Neyland the next year. It is also when I started having doubts about Fulmer’s ability to change with the times. That later proved to be true.

June 17, 1994 , Arnold Palmer plays in his 32nd and last US Open at Oakmont Country Club near his home in Pennsylvania. The pure emotion of the moment, the support and appreciation from the fans as he walked up 18 and watching him deal with the realization that he was no longer able to compete at a high level was really hard to watch - his interview afterwards still tears me up to this day. Without a doubt, the most difficult thing I have ever had to watch. And ironically, about the same time this was happening, other TV channels were starting to cover OJ being on the run in the White Bronco - what a contrast.

Never understood how Vol fans held John Chavis in so high regard after that game. He sealed that image for me after the hobnail boot game in Neyland the next year. It is also when I started having doubts about Fulmer’s ability to change with the times. That later proved to be true.
I started doubting Phil Fulmer after the 2004 Peach Bowl humiliation against an 8-4 Clemson team :rolleyes:

Why Chavis kept playing that weak a$$ zone when matt mauk just kept tebowing it up the middle may never be answered. Credit to the Bayou Bengals for exploiting what was given. We were the far better team and should have played Miami for the National Championship. Definitely one of the toughest losses as a V4L

Why Chavis kept playing that weak a$$ zone when matt mauk just kept tebowing it up the middle may never be answered. Credit to the Bayou Bengals for exploiting what was given. We were the far better team and should have played Miami for the National Championship. Definitely one of the toughest losses as a V4L

We had our chances too. Stallworth’s fumble was a killer. I thought for sure we were going to score on that drive. I think If we had gone ahead there was no way we were going to lose.

2001 SEC championship game. I used to be a diehard fan who wouldn’t watch highlights or read the news after a loss. Tons of orange in my wardrobe and keeping up with everything UT. It crushed me to the point to step back and realize there is more than UT sports. Now I’m just a fan.

VN Store

Back