What is your degree in and why?

Finance, Economics. Wanted to be a stock broker. Brokerages want salemen without Fin/Econ education.
I completed 30 hours of a 36 hour MBA degree. Told my advisor I felt like it was a waste of time. He agreed. Said the program was really set up to help engineers get a MBA.
Some governmental audit.
I became a CPA and did consultng work for large manufacturing companies.
Real Estate Developer.
Started a bank with 10 other people. On board for 12 years, chairman of loan committee.
Old and retired now.

Last edited:
BS in Mechanical Engineering. Engineering pays well and jobs are plentiful where I live but the work is pretty stressful.

Got the degree because I was always encouraged to get a degree growing up and engineering degrees pay for themselves typically (if you don't overload yourself with debt).

A degree is not for everyone I know that just giving credit to the guys that hung in there and achieved their goal. I honestly hate when politicians put down attended lol a college attended could mean a semester a week two years kind of deceptive just my opinion. No matter what nothing is giving to you in college. I always felt like asking as high paying factory jobs around degrees aren’t as important but let that job end where you go from there I’ve been there that’s why I know. But anyways the multimillionaires I’ve known personally I’m nit even sure they went to high school.

Econ because I wanted to get out. My freshman year was too bad to do L&T and I was too lazy to do CS. Twenty years later and I'm an IT analyst for supply chain. See, dreams do come true

BS Marketing - originally began as Nuclear Engineering major but I wasn't compatible with that. Considered Advertising due to thinking Darrin Stevens (BeWitched) had a good gig but decided Marketing had more opportunities.

MBA and PhD since.

We have the GBI here in Georgia also, she's talked about it a lot also. Ironically, criminal minds is what got her started 🤣. I absolutely agree with trade education, it's what I did, and I've been blessed in my work. I actually recently had a job offer, and accepted a job from Johnson and Johnson because of my mechanical background. Amazing pay and benefits, and actually much less physical labor than what I used to do.

My brother had a BA in Psychology and a MS in Forensic Science and found it very difficult to find a job with GBI, TBI, etc. It seemed most of the wanted prior law enforcement experience or at least starting very entry level to get hired. Not sure if that is the case anymore, since that was about 20 years ago. Might be worth checking into if she is serious since she might be able to intern or something that would fill those requirements.

Reactions: joevol33
BA in Management Information Systems from Valdosta State.
Masters in cotton ginning at my father's gin.
PhD in BS from some really cool great uncles, unsavory characters and lawyers I've known.

I joke when doing introductions I am the only person in the room who is certified in a particular IBM software system and qualified to replace the saw cylinder in a Lummus Imperial 158 gin stand.

My brother had a BA in Psychology and a MS in Forensic Science and found it very difficult to find a job with GBI, TBI, etc. It seemed most of the wanted prior law enforcement experience or at least starting very entry level to get hired. Not sure if that is the case anymore, since that was about 20 years ago. Might be worth checking into if she is serious since she might be able to intern or something that would fill those requirements.
She's starting her freshman year in high school tomorrow, so hopefully we have time to look into that. Thanks for the advice.

BS accounting TTU. Work full time plus own a couple side hustles.

Started in civil engineering and couldn’t apply myself properly. I could go back now and crush it, but no need.

Promised my mother I would get my masters, but that isn’t going to happen most likely.

Reactions: Go aeiou and CPA
I got a BS in Bovine Scatology.

Actually I started an AA in History/ Pol sci in 98. I wanted to work in history some how. Either NPS/ museums something like that with teaching as a fall back. Unfortunately I was your typical stupid college student with no financial sense. Got in trouble with credit cards and had to drop out to pay off bills. Then life started and never made it back. I hit my 25 years and can retire from 911 in 2025, Hopefully I can finish something by then and get back on the track I wanted.

BS accounting TTU. Work full time plus own a couple side hustles.

Started in civil engineering and couldn’t apply myself properly. I could go back now and crush it, but no need.

Promised my mother I would get my masters, but that isn’t going to happen most likely.

Unless times have changed getting you CPA would give you more opportunity and higher earnings than a masters in Accounting.
I considered a masters when I thought I wanted to teach accounting. A masters would prepare me to teach at a 2 yr school. A Doctorate would be needed to teach at a 4 year school.
Things might have changed now.

Reactions: CPA
BA Political Science from UT. At the time wanted to be a high school teacher. Started as a history major but enjoyed the Poli Sci classes more.

Semester after graduation decided I wanted to do air traffic control and at the time you could get a CTI certificate to get hired. So went to MTSU and they said I could get another bachelors in 3 semesters or a Masters in 4 semesters. Already had one useless bachelors so got a MS in Aviation Administration from MTSU.

Bs in accounting and a BS in biochem. Planned to go to medscool but ended up going into business for myself

BS in electrical engineering because that's what the Air Force gave me a scholarship for. MS in engineering management because that was one of the few interesting programs available on base and I could use my tuition assistance for it. MBA from UT because the Air Force was willing to pay for it. Sense a trend?

I got a BS in Bovine Scatology.

Actually I started an AA in History/ Pol sci in 98. I wanted to work in history some how. Either NPS/ museums something like that with teaching as a fall back. Unfortunately I was your typical stupid college student with no financial sense. Got in trouble with credit cards and had to drop out to pay off bills. Then life started and never made it back. I hit my 25 years and can retire from 911 in 2025, Hopefully I can finish something by then and get back on the track I wanted.
At least you've got a track you wanted. I got a couple degrees back in the 80s/90s and after all these years working I still tell people I don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

BS in Early Childhood Development. Wanted to teach, but learned quickly middle school and high school grades weren’t for me. Now work at the corporate level for a non-profit that provides support to low income and/or migrant children and families.

BS in History; after Vietnam I felt I needed to understand history better. Learned a lot, certainly not always what I wanted to learn, but I learned a bit about how to view history and understand the various interpretations of historical events. Given the recent political events in this country, the degree has been helpful in sorting out what's real and what's fake.

Also, have an MBA with a focus on finance, this has been a great help in creating a comfortable life for my wife and me.

Thank you GI bill and thank you USAF for the skills I acquired, they helped put me through university.

VN Store

Back