What is your degree in and why?

Experience will matter more than the degree she gets, but she will need a degree. If that’s what she wants to do, some military time or interning with an alphabet soup agency will do more for her than getting a Criminal Justice degree.
Thanks

BS in Kinesiology with a concentration in exercise science. I wanted to go into sports medicine, but I was so done with school I just stopped. Plus I didn't feel like piling on the debt of more school.
Are you using your degree?
Have a niece with same degree. Has a job, but grad school is expensive.

Are you using your degree?
Have a niece with same degree. Has a job, but grad school is expensive.
Not really. I kinda fell into a job at our hospital in the lab, then stayed with the company but just switched locations for better hours. I use stuff from like 3 of my classes, maybe.
It's a good degree if she wants to go into something like physical therapy, occupation therapy, personal training, sports medicine etc....... but just as a degree in and of itself it's kinda useless.

Not really. I kinda fell into a job at our hospital in the lab, then stayed with the company but just switched locations for better hours. I use stuff from like 3 of my classes, maybe.
It's a good degree if she wants to go into something like physical therapy, occupation therapy, personal training, sports medicine etc....... but just as a degree in and of itself it's kinda useless.
Physical therapy for old folks is what she is doing. Who knows where life will take you?

Reactions: VolNExile
Bachelors in Philosophy. Planned to go to law school until I served as clerk and decided it wasn't for me (another story). Got my MBA instead and am now an enterprise architect.

Philosophy and Law??? That would be a pretty difficult combination to pull off. My wife worked for lawyers and law firms for over 30 years and I never saw any lawyer with a philosophical bent to their practice.

Philosophy and Law??? That would be a pretty difficult combination to pull off. My wife worked for lawyers and law firms for over 30 years and I never saw any lawyer with a philosophical bent to their practice.
That’s actually a pretty common UG major. Teaches you how to think, and how to argue.

Then you go on to law school and professional practice, and you switch to disemboweling your opponent. 🤪

Reactions: ArdentVol
That’s actually a pretty common UG major. Teaches you how to think, and how to argue.

Then you go on to law school and professional practice, and you switch to disemboweling your opponent. 🤪

I can see that. LOL

My wife worked for a law firm that handled construction law. Mostly lawyers with engineering degrees. Also, she learned way to much from them, I rarely win an argument with my wife.

Reactions: VolNExile
BA in History. I’m only 26, but I’ve yet to find a job in my field. I’ve yet to have a job that even requires a BA. I’m not saying I regret my time in college, because I really appreciate the context being a student of history gives you to current events in the world. But I am saying that if anyone here is going to college, please don’t pick a major you’re interested in. I know that’s what’s preached to you from well meaning guidance counselors, but all you will have is an expensive piece of paper if you don’t pick something practical whether it interests you or not.

BA in History. I’m only 26, but I’ve yet to find a job in my field. I’ve yet to have a job that even requires a BA. I’m not saying I regret my time in college, because I really appreciate the context being a student of history gives you to current events in the world. But I am saying that if anyone here is going to college, please don’t pick a major you’re interested in. I know that’s what’s preached to you from well meaning guidance counselors, but all you will have is an expensive piece of paper if you don’t pick something practical whether it interests you or not.
I told my kids to get a minor in whatever they want, but their major had to be in something that made them employable. Nothing fun about graduating college without a job offer.

I told my kids to get a minor in whatever they want, but their major had to be in something that made them employable. Nothing fun about graduating college without a job offer.
My entire family’s highest level of education was my dad’s associates degree in accounting until I graduated. It was kind of humiliating having the entire family kind of rally around the fact that someone had finally graduated a 4 year university only to find that he was going to drive vans for Amazon and wait tables for a living afterwards. At least so far.

My entire family’s highest level of education was my dad’s associates degree in accounting until I graduated. It was kind of humiliating having the entire family kind of rally around the fact that someone had finally graduated a 4 year university only to find that he was going to drive vans for Amazon and wait tables for a living afterwards. At least so far.
I empathize with your plight, but you shouldn’t be embarrassed as it’s a life accomplishment to graduate college and shows something about your character and ability to persevere. Better employment is out there for you! You’re going to have to persevere through the job search to find it. Hit those resumes hard along with all the online sites. Get connected with some head hunters. Good things will happen for you if you stay the course. Best of luck!

I have a friend that graduated with a BA in History and is now a practicing attorney.

BArch. Initially chose it because I have always been interested in the way things are put together (plus I enjoyed architectural history within the broader context of history), but if presented with the choice all over again I'd probably have gone for a degree in Construction or Engineering due to a broader field of job opportunities. At any rate though, I don't hate (or even strongly dislike) my job and it pays the bills, so I yam where I yam.

BArch. Initially chose it because I have always been interested in the way things are put together (plus I enjoyed architectural history within the broader context of history), but if presented with the choice all over again I'd probably have gone for a degree in Construction or Engineering due to a broader field of job opportunities. At any rate though, I don't hate (or even strongly dislike) my job and it pays the bills, so I yam where I yam.
What city do you work in? I work in Atlanta and there is enough going on to provide opprotunity, I cant imagine working in smaller town where you are hemmed in.

Reactions: tbh
What city do you work in? I work in Atlanta and there is enough going on to provide opprotunity, I cant imagine working in smaller town where you are hemmed in.

I started off in south Georgia after graduation, so I know what you mean! I had a ton of college buddies who ended up working in Atlanta right after college (and right before the bottom fell out in late 2007-2008). I'm currently over towards the Athens area, and it seems like things are still pretty steady in these parts as well, thankfully.

I should have been a bit more clear re: the opportunity part...I was thinking opportunity more in terms of different branches in the career path tree, so to speak. It seemed like an engineering degree has had more varied opportunities available than one in Architecture, at least during the handful of times I have browsed the job market.

Reactions: LouderVol
Get into sales.

Law school sounds perfect for you! I’m a mom, can you tell? But lots of people go to law school with history undergrad degrees, it’s a natural fit

Reactions: malinoisvol
Law school sounds perfect for you! I’m a mom, can you tell? But lots of people go to law school with history undergrad degrees, it’s a natural fit
My dad has told me it’d be perfect for me too. I have a propensity to argue, especially politically. However, it’s just even more debt to take on just to enter a heavily saturated field due to everyone and their mother opening a law school in recent decades.

My dad has told me it’d be perfect for me too. I have a propensity to argue, especially politically. However, it’s just even more debt to take on just to enter a heavily saturated field due to everyone and their mother opening a law school in recent decades.
Hmmm… Insurance, mortgage brokerage.. I know in middle Tenn right now those are busy sectors..many positions require a general degree and they will train you

Reactions: EasternVol
Not true.

Use those history skills to research.
There's a difference between having facts stored away in your brain, vs understanding WHY history played out the way it did.

There are tons of History buffs on YouTube that are quite successful.

If you understand that past, you can control the future.

I have a BS in history and one thing I've found over the years is that it seems that a lot of good "Investment guys" have degrees in history. It gives you tools to look at the history of an industry or a company or a culture that might impact a particular aspect of an investment.

It's something about developing the analytic tools to look at a point in history from various view points and cut through the BS to the facts.

Good luck!

VN Store

Back