What irritates you the most at restaurants?

There was a Daryl's just like that at the top of Bearden Hill in Knoxville, south side of Kingston Pike. I remember it being there in the late 80s but not sure when it closed. It's probably mentioned in the Gone But Not Forgotten thread.

Daryl’s on Bearden Hill closed in the mid - late 90’s. Was a big restaurant with all the crazy seats and tables you could want. They had a double decker bus, a firetruck, carousel horses, Ferris wheel seats... The restaurant was going ok in Knoxville. Closed down at the corporate level.

Daryl’s on Bearden Hill closed in the mid - late 90’s. Was a big restaurant with all the crazy seats and tables you could want. They had a double decker bus, a firetruck, carousel horses, Ferris wheel seats... The restaurant was going ok in Knoxville. Closed down at the corporate level.

Closed in 2001. I was working there it’s last night open. Had to do all this special cleaning. Then found out at the end of the night we weren’t opening the next day.

Closed in 2001. I was working there it’s last night open. Had to do all this special cleaning. Then found out at the end of the night we weren’t opening the next day.

2001... ok. I stand corrected. I worked there in the early 90’s and remember going to the auction when they were selling off all the equipment and decorations.

As it happens, the only occasion in my memory banks when I left an insulting tip occurred at that Daryl's on Bearden Hill. The waitress had me so furious. It was late and there weren't many guests, yet I couldn't have gotten her attention with a bullhorn. When I finally figured out why, turned out it was because there was some guy that had come in, standing near the bar (non-customer), that she clearly knew and was cheesing on, and when she did get pried away from him she'd run right back to him asap.

In retrospect, she was clearly a college kid working a PT job and this guy was clearly a higher priority to her at that moment. Hell, she probably didn't last long in that job. At the time though, when I finally paid my check I dropped something like a nickel and three pennies just so she'd know I didn't simply forget (all the reasons for not doing such a thing, as have been thoroughly discussed in this thread, had yet to enter the skull of late-80s-era pismonque) and I chose not to speak to management because I was so pissed I likely would have been louder and uglier about it than was warranted. Better just to take our drankin elsewhere.

Is a fast food joint a restaurant? If so, is a drive through experience a restaurant experience? Doesn't it broil your gizzard when you pull up to the drive through kiosk, wait to be acknowledged, are acknowledged, begin to place your order and are interrupted by the voice on the other end talking over you?

"I'll have a chicken biscuit, and"
"Just the sandwich or the meal?"
"You didn't let me finish"
"Did you want the sandwich or the meal?"
"I'm trying to tell you my order"
"The sandwich or the meal?"
"If you'll just be quiet and actively listen, my order will be forthcoming and easily understood"
"I see another restaurant near by. I hope you get an incurable venereal disease."
"Was that the sandwich only or the meal?"

Is a fast food joint a restaurant? If so, is a drive through experience a restaurant experience? Doesn't it broil your gizzard when you pull up to the drive through kiosk, wait to be acknowledged, are acknowledged, begin to place your order and are interrupted by the voice on the other end talking over you?

"If you'll just be quiet and actively listen, my order will be forthcoming and easily understood"
"I see another restaurant near by. I hope you get an incurable venereal disease."

In FL for work and went to a steakhouse for dinner... sat at the bar and the bartender as me if I would like a silverwear with my dinner... epic fail

Reactions: GoVolsDR
The Knoxville Christmas Parade brings out a "special" crowd every year. The majority are honest parents out with their kids, but scattered around are the visitors that just have that talent for ruining the night for the rest.
Gay St is not Bourbon St.
Being cut off is how we protect that guest & others.
Alcohol servers in Tennessee are required by law to attend a class every 5 years to be permitted to serve.
It's very informative, & educational. More states should do it.
For example; If you took 5 2oz shots (true double) between 11pm & 12am, you would not be completely sober until after 10am. 2-3 hours after the typical person would be at work. Early morning traffic has the highest % of drunk drivers due to their previous night out.
There's my ramble...

The Knoxville Christmas Parade brings out a "special" crowd every year. The majority are honest parents out with their kids, but scattered around are the visitors that just have that talent for ruining the night for the rest.
Gay St is not Bourbon St.
Being cut off is how we protect that guest & others.
Alcohol servers in Tennessee are required by law to attend a class every 5 years to be permitted to serve.
It's very informative, & educational. More states should do it.
For example; If you took 5 2oz shots (true double) between 11pm & 12am, you would not be completely sober until after 10am. 2-3 hours after the typical person would be at work. Early morning traffic has the highest % of drunk drivers due to their previous night out.
There's my ramble...
I'm not saying that what you're saying is bad advice, but just that technically it's an ounce and a quarter of 80-proof liquor in an hour. So 5 2oz shots would equate to 8 hours or roughly around 7-8am.

I'm usually not one to complain about restaurants, but the Northshore Soccer Taco irritates me so much. Decent food at a fair price, but absolutely terrible service. My gf and I live close and go there at least once every 2 weeks. The staff is so inattentive and uninterested, it's insane. And I say this from a large sample size, it's not a one-off experience. We torture ourselves because of our schedules, location, and lack of good Mexican in Knoxville. Decent service is not an expectation when we go there, and I'm getting to the point where I will start leaving crappy tips. We both have worked in food service, and obviously tip very generously. Ugh.

There's my ramble...
Let me first say that I am not attacking you or calling you a liar. I am sure this is what they have taught in these classes. My attack is mainly towards the data that the state is dishing out. The state, in my opinion, is playing fast and loose with what the definition of "completely sober" and trying to put a mental image in your mind that someone can be impaired more than 10 hrs afterwards. Not saying that something like that can't happen, because there are always exceptions to the rule. But in general, most people would be "sober" within 3 hrs easily. This is a scare tactic and a way to boost revenue because they can now set the limits on what the legal limit is to get more drivers DUI charges.

Reactions: ruger1234
I'm usually not one to complain about restaurants, but the Northshore Soccer Taco irritates me so much. Decent food at a fair price, but absolutely terrible service. My gf and I live close and go there at least once every 2 weeks. The staff is so inattentive and uninterested, it's insane. And I say this from a large sample size, it's not a one-off experience. We torture ourselves because of our schedules, location, and lack of good Mexican in Knoxville. Decent service is not an expectation when we go there, and I'm getting to the point where I will start leaving crappy tips. We both have worked in food service, and obviously tip very generously. Ugh.

I've heard pretty similar things about that Soccer Taco from people who work nearby in the area. I've never been to that location, I've always had great service at the Bearden Hill Soccer Taco however.

It's funny how they are so quick to cut you off. They obviously aren't working on commission :)

If you order multiple things and hesitate slightly after saying one thing that you wanted, quite often you'll get a "OK that'll be $8.50" but you aren't finished ordering.

Reactions: Tin Man
Wait staff or host speaking with you and a rude customer butting in to ask their questions. number 2 would be the employee that leaves your conversation to respond to them.

Not a nice restaurant, but #3 - Popeyes just opened in our town. I was at counter. Girl started taking my order. In middle of order she just looked away at next register listening to the conversation an employee on break was having with the other cashier at the counter, and completely zoned out on me. I spoke to her and she just kept smiling at them like she was part of it. I had to wave my hand in her face to bring her back and ask if it was OK for us to finish.

Wait staff or host speaking with you and a rude customer butting in to ask their questions. number 2 would be the employee that leaves your conversation to respond to them.

Not a nice restaurant, but #3 - Popeyes just opened in our town. I was at counter. Girl started taking my order. In middle of order she just looked away at next register listening to the conversation an employee on break was having with the other cashier at the counter, and completely zoned out on me. I spoke to her and she just kept smiling at them like she was part of it. I had to wave my hand in her face to bring her back and ask if it was OK for us to finish.
Heard so many good comments about Popeye's Chicken, so when they opened here I had have some... well, after sticker shock and under cooked product I was disappointed... tried a second time, and pretty much the same. Gave up on em and have not been back.

Heard so many good comments about Popeye's Chicken, so when they opened here I had have some... well, after sticker shock and under cooked product I was disappointed... tried a second time, and pretty much the same. Gave up on em and have not been back.
We recently had one to open here. A guy at work brought some in, and let me have a piece to try. It sucks.

VN Store

Back