What irritates you the most at restaurants?

Had this happen at a Knoxville restaurant just last night.

It was fairly crowded, we walk in put our name on the list and it is supposed to be 15-20 minutes.

As we stand there, within a couple of feet from the girl that put our name on the waiting list, people that cam in after us begin to be seated. We had been asked if we wanted inside, outside, or first available. In order to get sat quicker we chose first available.

30 minutes in we asked when is our name on the list. The girl had no record of our name in the computer. This is the same person that took our name and we even received the text confirming this.

She then proceeds to tell us that she will add us to the list and put us back in line and get us sat outside. At this point I let her know we will not be sitting outside in the 90 plus degree heat.

Needless to say a manager was there and we were seated within a couple of minutes.

From that point the meal and service was top notch. Just a bit stressful and irritating getting to our seat.

So this is something that irritates me at a restaurant.

Had this happen at a Knoxville restaurant just last night.

It was fairly crowded, we walk in put our name on the list and it is supposed to be 15-20 minutes.

As we stand there, within a couple of feet from the girl that put our name on the waiting list, people that cam in after us begin to be seated. We had been asked if we wanted inside, outside, or first available. In order to get sat quicker we chose first available.

30 minutes in we asked when is our name on the list. The girl had no record of our name in the computer. This is the same person that took our name and we even received the text confirming this.

She then proceeds to tell us that she will add us to the list and put us back in line and get us sat outside. At this point I let her know we will not be sitting outside in the 90 plus degree heat.

Needless to say a manager was there and we were seated within a couple of minutes.

From that point the meal and service was top notch. Just a bit stressful and irritating getting to our seat.

So this is something that irritates me at a restaurant.

Shoulda thrown a flag at her there, ref.

It's funny. Yesterday, I had just finished payroll and was getting ready to head out for the day. I went to the bar to pack up my computer, and my bartender comes up to me. She tells me that some ******* across the bar has been demanding, rude, and has sent back two of the same drink (I run a batched cocktail program for our signatures, so they all taste consistent). I went to go speak to him, and the dude claims he's in sales, travels a lot, and in turn dines and drinks out most of the time, and that my establishment was one of the worst he had ever been to and that my bartender was a "rude b*tch.

We never get folks like this, so I had a fantastic time closing his tab, and telling him, in civil terms, to go **** himself.

I wonder if it was Biopsyman.

It's funny. Yesterday, I had just finished payroll and was getting ready to head out for the day. I went to the bar to pack up my computer, and my bartender comes up to me. She tells me that some ******* across the bar has been demanding, rude, and has sent back two of the same drink (I run a batched cocktail program for our signatures, so they all taste consistent). I went to go speak to him, and the dude claims he's in sales, travels a lot, and in turn dines and drinks out most of the time, and that my establishment was one of the worst he had ever been to and that my bartender was a "rude b*tch.

We never get folks like this, so I had a fantastic time closing his tab, and telling him, in civil terms, to go **** himself.

Everyone should work in a restaurant at some point and cross train front to back to get an idea of what it’s like. It would change a lot of that behavior

The main thing that bothers me about restaurants, and this occurs mostly at fast food restaurants, is when the customer is treated like an inconvenience instead of welcomed. Actually, this happens almost any place you go today, not just restaurants - grocery stores, body shops, even doctor's offices.

I was in a doctor's office just last week. I went up to the front desk, stood in line, and when I was in the front of the line, I said, "Hello, I have an appointment today at 10:30." The worker did not even look at me, didn't acknowledge me at all. She just kept typing on her computer. Finally, after about a minute, she looks at me and says absolutely nothing. So I repeat myself, "Hello, I have an appointment today at 10:30." She rolls her eyes and replies, "Well, I need your name." That was the first thing she said to me. "Well, I need your name," in a very sarcastic tone. No greeting, no "I'll be right with you," no "Thank you for your patience while I entered the previous patient's information," or anything like that. Nothing but sarcasm and bitterness. And the reason I didn't give her my name right away was because they sometimes ask for something else first, like your birth date, phone number, or insurance card. I was waiting for her to tell me what she needed. But that's extremely inconvenient, apparently.

All she had to do was say, "Hi, how may I help you?...what's your name?" And I would have been fine with that. I'm not expecting to be treated like a king, but seriously. What happened to basic decency from customer service workers? You hardly ever receive a welcoming greeting anywhere you go anymore. Customer service has gotten so bad. It was bad in several places when I was a kid. I remember my parents complaining quite a bit, but it's definitely gotten worse.

My only real gripe at restaurants is when they hold you hostage trying to pay the bill by either taking forever to bring/collect or bringing your card back. I do like those table top kiosks to pay.

The main thing that bothers me about restaurants, and this occurs mostly at fast food restaurants, is when the customer is treated like an inconvenience instead of welcomed. Actually, this happens almost any place you go today, not just restaurants - grocery stores, body shops, even doctor's offices.

I was in a doctor's office just last week. I went up to the front desk, stood in line, and when I was in the front of the line, I said, "Hello, I have an appointment today at 10:30." The worker did not even look at me, didn't acknowledge me at all. She just kept typing on her computer. Finally, after about a minute, she looks at me and says absolutely nothing. So I repeat myself, "Hello, I have an appointment today at 10:30." She rolls her eyes and replies, "Well, I need your name." That was the first thing she said to me. "Well, I need your name," in a very sarcastic tone. No greeting, no "I'll be right with you," no "Thank you for your patience while I entered the previous patient's information," or anything like that. Nothing but sarcasm and bitterness. And the reason I didn't give her my name right away was because they sometimes ask for something else first, like your birth date, phone number, or insurance card. I was waiting for her to tell me what she needed. But that's extremely inconvenient, apparently.

All she had to do was say, "Hi, how may I help you?...what's your name?" And I would have been fine with that. I'm not expecting to be treated like a king, but seriously. What happened to basic decency from customer service workers? You hardly ever receive a welcoming greeting anywhere you go anymore. Customer service has gotten so bad. It was bad in several places when I was a kid. I remember my parents complaining quite a bit, but it's definitely gotten worse.
Our dollar general workers get mad when they have to quit walking around, and check you out. If you ask for ketchup,or anything,at McDonald's here, they'll act like it's coming out of their paycheck

Reactions: Juanita

Reminds me about a month ago, this guy sat next to me at a bar and sent back three (3) orders of wings because they were not cooked crispy/hard enough. After the second time around, I think most people would have just walked out and gone somewhere else, but this guy was going to go one more time and see if they could cook them the exact way he wanted them. Incidentally, the wings looked to be fine for about 90% of most people, but we do have those special ones out here that think they can go to a chain restaurant and get personalized catered service.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolFaninFla
I try to be nice. And, as a customer, I try to understand. I have worked in stores, schools, and hospitals. It's all about customer service, I don't care what you are selling. What irritates me is a flippant attitude. Believe me. I can recognize that.

That person is probably making $10-$12 an hour and barely scraping by.

Reactions: Juanita
That person is probably making $10-$12 an hour and barely scraping by.

So, if you're "scraping," and by your math that is where I fall, then it's all right to be a jerk? Hmmmm, I need to tell my mom that. She's always just said that I am a sweet bitch.

VN Store

Back