What did you have for dinner II?

Yet again, home made crunchy tacos with seasoned ground beef, shredded spinach, chopped cherry tomatoes, and cheese. My wife says that was it for awhile... She's had her fix three times over, now.

I have about 15 chickens and I have not seen any salsa crap come from them. Are these special Hispanic chickens? What pray tell is joe's CSC?
Haha. It's just a quick thing I do. Mix canned chicken chunks with salsa and cheese, warm up and eat. It's nothing extravagant, but tasty.

Reactions: bag12day
Venison and rabbit Shepard pie with portebella shrooms, parsnips, redskin taters, carrots, a port wine "beef gravy" and some green peas. Topped with the wife's pastry crust. For the side dish brown sugar bacon, carmelized onions an Brussel sprouts cooked down.
Man you need to be posting pictures with these dishes. Sounds awesome!

Reactions: VolNExile
Man you need to be posting pictures with these dishes. Sounds awesome!
LOL Got a couple of problems with that I haven't felt like sharing until now with my Vol friends in the Dinner forum. I am a part time caregiver for my father with Alzheimers. He and my mom come to my house to stay for a few days, every few days, and when he is sitting with his TV tray in front of him at 4:30 its hard to remember to snap any photos when we eat at 530 or 6 if I can stall him. If he sees me take out my phone to take picts he gets a little "miffed" shall we say... They live about 1.5 hours from me and went home yesterday so Ill have a few days to see if I can get some picts. up for y'all before they come back Sunday.
I live to hunt and fish and most appreciate turning that love into food for my family. I love to take my dad fishing but he has a very narrow comfort window when its not too hot or cold for my boat or even a farm pond . When I went Striper and came back home he asked if I caught anything and I told him we caught 60 or so. He then asked what kind of fish were we having for dinner and I told him it was catch and release until March 1. He said without missing a beat " why did you even go fishing if we cant eat them"? I couldn't help but laugh at that logic. He asked if I could fry some catfish when he comes back so I'm gonna go work on that (catching some) tomorrow since the weather is too hot for rabbit hunting but perfect for fishing.

@joevol33 since you started this awesome thread I have to say thanks and it is a reason for me to come to VN daily to read and post. I still don't have an answer if I can just post pictures of the animals Im eating for dinner LOL I usually have those ( its for @itsme) :cool:Thanks!
Sorry for the long non dinner related post and Ill try to do better soon.

@bag12day, though I do practice catch and release, I confess that I fish for the table. My intention is to catch something to eat. Now, if I catch a fish I've no intention of eating, I let it go (unless its an invasive species, but then, most of those are edible). I do observe slot limits et al. Preserve the fishery!
Of course, I have been offshore and gotten into a school of bonito and lingered, catching and releasing because they are so much fun. I've been on the lakes and seen southern pike and elected to fish for them just for the sport. I do enjoy fishing, even if the outcome is not dining.

Reactions: tnuhcvols
@Tin Man Just to be clear my dad taught me catch and release when I was a kid and before it was en vogue. We would go catch bluegills in farm ponds and release the bass and keep just enough bream for a fish fry and put the rest back "for the future". This was back in the early 70s and with his issues now he thinks if I go hunting and don't pull the trigger or fishing and don't fill a cooler it was a wasted trip. Funny story my son works for a fisheries company so I have access to some nice places. One of the ponds I took my dad to has Hybrid stripers and 2 lb rainbow trout for them to eat. He was catching 7-10 lb hybrids with my help or an occasional trout and was like a 5 year old when I told him we were putting them back. He was suggesting we could hide them and sneak them out lol.

Good ole fashioned garbage pizza from a local place for dinner tonight. Cold leftovers tomorrow when I'm fishing:)

Venison and rabbit Shepard pie with portebella shrooms, parsnips, redskin taters, carrots, a port wine "beef gravy" and some green peas. Topped with the wife's pastry crust. For the side dish brown sugar bacon, carmelized onions an Brussel sprouts cooked down.
Details requested, thanks muchly. 1549511483566.gif

Details requested, thanks muchly. View attachment 193236
For u and @tnuhcvols Start with a heavy Dutch oven or cast iron pan...Take about 6 pieces of thick sliced bacon and dice into 1/2 inch pieces. I cure my own bacon with either maple sugar or brown sugar but don't make due with oscar Meyer here use a good quality thick slice bacon it's worth it. Start the bacon on med heat and render as much fat out as u want ( I soak it up with paper towels and replace it with olive oil). When bacon starts to get a little color add a vidalia sweet onion diced in 1/2 inch cubes as well. For 1 lb of sprouts slice larger ones in half and toss in after onion starts to brown with bacon. Cut down to med low slap a lid on and wait 15-20 minutes or until they are tender. I don't usually add any sugar to mine or just a pinch but if using commercial bacon add about 1/4 cup of brown sugar somewhere in the 10 minute mark. Sprouts release a lot of liquid and you may need to leave the lid off To evaporate some before serving. Salt to taste.
Hope u enjoy!

For u and @tnuhcvols Start with a heavy Dutch oven or cast iron pan...Take about 6 pieces of thick sliced bacon and dice into 1/2 inch pieces. I cure my own bacon with either maple sugar or brown sugar but don't make due with oscar Meyer here use a good quality thick slice bacon it's worth it. Start the bacon on med heat and render as much fat out as u want ( I soak it up with paper towels and replace it with olive oil). When bacon starts to get a little color add a vidalia sweet onion diced in 1/2 inch cubes as well. For 1 lb of sprouts slice larger ones in half and toss in after onion starts to brown with bacon. Cut down to med low slap a lid on and wait 15-20 minutes or until they are tender. I don't usually add any sugar to mine or just a pinch but if using commercial bacon add about 1/4 cup of brown sugar somewhere in the 10 minute mark. Sprouts release a lot of liquid and you may need to leave the lid off To evaporate some before serving. Salt to taste.
Hope u enjoy!
Holy crapsidoodle, I didn’t know for sure that the bacon and caramelized onions were part of the deal! Thank you for the recipe, and I will be trying this soonest!

wifey's "potatoes weird" - I cant explain it, broccolini, medallions of roast pork tenderloin

VN Store

Back