What did you have for dinner II?

Bear%20NY%20(640x360).jpg

Bear meat with fruit on it. Where do you get Black Bear steaks?
Well @NorCalVol67 beat me to it. I am a big hunter and fisherman and 90% of what my family eats flew, ran walked or swam in front of me before I decided to eat it lol. This bear meat came from a friend I traded some venison with last year. We hunt the same property and he lucked up on getting a bear and I didn't. I like bear better than any other 4 legged wild game. Sweeter richer and tastier than beef to me. This bear was almost 650 lbs so he had plenty to share. I will fix a lot of wild game with fruit because it pairs well like fine wine with food.

Reactions: 508mikey
Never heard of people eating bears unless it was pre 20th century.
Neither have I.
Lot of people eat it around here. The Churches around here have wild game dinners every year, and bear is one of the favorite dishes. My kids actually went with me to one last year, and the bear stew we ate was their favorite thing. It's pretty good.

Reactions: bag12day
Well @NorCalVol67 beat me to it. I am a big hunter and fisherman and 90% of what my family eats flew, ran walked or swam in front of me before I decided to eat it lol. This bear meat came from a friend I traded some venison with last year. We hunt the same property and he lucked up on getting a bear and I didn't. I like bear better than any other 4 legged wild game. Sweeter richer and tastier than beef to me. This bear was almost 650 lbs so he had plenty to share. I will fix a lot of wild game with fruit because it pairs well like fine wine with food.
I've never had bear but have become more of a hunter and wanting to provide my own meat kind of guy. There's a great cookbook you may be interested in from Steven Rinella that has wild game recipes using all types of animals. Thought you might be interested.

Reactions: joevol33
I've never had bear but have become more of a hunter and wanting to provide my own meat kind of guy. There's a great cookbook you may be interested in from Steven Rinella that has wild game recipes using all types of animals. Thought you might be interested.

I taught Steve Rinella how to cook stuff...
JK! I have read his book via Amazon Kindle and of all the outdoor shows on TV he is my favorite cause he "does" what I believe in albeit all over the world and I'm a little more local. I don't really use recipes or cookbooks, I use them for inspiration and ideas but most of the stuff I cook I wings it. My favorite way to cook bear is a bear sauerbraten with juniper berries. Its really different but very very good I believe.

I hunt stuff because man is a hunter and not to collect stuff on your wall without regard to the actual pursuit and enjoyment of the taking of an animal, feeding your family and being outdoors. I don't hunt for trophies and never really have, at this stage in my life I hunt mature animals for the most part so I can feed my family and friends organic free range meat that I butchered myself. I am getting into Charcuterie and making /curing sausages and salamis from wild game. If anyone is reading this that is a vegetarian, Please stop eating my food's food.
Going fishing for stripers in Albemarle sound in the AM so I had venison chill leftovers tonight for dinner. Hey @joevol33 what you think about me just posting pictures of the animals Im eating instead of the dinner version LOL:cool:

Don't kill it if you're not ready to eat it.

'Cepting sketers 'n' ticks, of course.
I eat anything I shoot with two exceptions... Rats and Coyotes (I do save the pelts if in winter).
In the past year a list of things bag12day has bagged and cooked...
Groundhogs, squirrels, raccoon, rabbit, deer, goose, ducks, doves, quail, pheasant, crow (yes I ate it crow and its delicious), bobcat, swan, brant, coots, snapping turtle, beaver, frogs, all manner of fish, grouse, and maybe some other stuff Im forgetting.
Stuff I have gotten from friends Antelope, Elk, Bear, Moose, Mule and sitka deer.

I eat anything I shoot with two exceptions... Rats and Coyotes (I do save the pelts if in winter).
In the past year a list of things bag12day has bagged and cooked...
Groundhogs, squirrels, raccoon, rabbit, deer, goose, ducks, doves, quail, pheasant, crow (yes I ate it crow and its delicious), bobcat, swan, brant, coots, snapping turtle, beaver, frogs, all manner of fish, grouse, and maybe some other stuff Im forgetting.
Stuff I have gotten from friends Antelope, Elk, Bear, Moose, Mule and sitka deer.
Groundhog, how was it?
Coot, how compare to other water fowl

Groundhog, how was it?
Coot, how compare to other water fowl
Coot is much better than the diver ducks it should taste like. Its more like a puddle duck or teal. My friend is from Currituck NC where waterfowl is a way of life and his daddy used send him to go shoot 20-25 in a day to have for dinner for his family. Groundhog is awesome if you take out the scent gland (like a coon has)in the rear hocks. Its a really rich meaty fatty pork type. Mine are coming from my back pasture and they are eating mostly crimson and ladino clover I plant for deer and turkeys. I don't bother those until they start coming in the garden then they gone.

Nothing is better than buffalo. Elk is a close second.

JK! I have read his book via Amazon Kindle and of all the outdoor shows on TV he is my favorite cause he "does" what I believe in albeit all over the world and I'm a little more local. I don't really use recipes or cookbooks, I use them for inspiration and ideas but most of the stuff I cook I wings it. My favorite way to cook bear is a bear sauerbraten with juniper berries. Its really different but very very good I believe.

I hunt stuff because man is a hunter and not to collect stuff on your wall without regard to the actual pursuit and enjoyment of the taking of an animal, feeding your family and being outdoors. I don't hunt for trophies and never really have, at this stage in my life I hunt mature animals for the most part so I can feed my family and friends organic free range meat that I butchered myself. I am getting into Charcuterie and making /curing sausages and salamis from wild game. If anyone is reading this that is a vegetarian, Please stop eating my food's food.
Going fishing for stripers in Albemarle sound in the AM so I had venison chill leftovers tonight for dinner. Hey @joevol33 what you think about me just posting pictures of the animals Im eating instead of the dinner version LOL:cool:
I miss that about KY, we ate everything up there!

Nothing is better than buffalo. Elk is a close second.
I love buffalo but not really wild game anymore. I agree on the elk too but as there are only two places in the USA that I would consider free range bison herds so I would not consider that wild game. Those are very difficult to get tags for and all others are farmed so to speak. There are some exotics ( not high fence just massive low fence ranches) I have had and shot in Texas but again in the last year I have not had any of those. Try nyala and you would spit out elk to eat it lol. I don't do high fence stuff, cool,if others do just not my cup of tea.

Reactions: PrattvilleVol
Walnuts, and cheese and olives. My way to curb the appetite, and counter against the grazing that goes on at work. Couple good beers also.

I am a 40 year old that got into hunting 6 years ago. My daughter's wanted to do it so I took it up to take them. We would get venison from others the years before but it felt like cheating. This past year was my first time going bow hunting, which I enjoy the challenge of. I too wing it many times with the recipes but I like trying new things especially things accomplished chefs and hunters recommend. Good luck this morning.

VN Store

Back