What about high school football?

Virginia High School League doesn't allow homeschoolers to participate either. VHSL is going to decide at the end of the month between 3 options,1- leave all sports in current seasons and only low risk sports allowed like golf/ccountry. Football, field hockey, etc cancelled or 2-switch fall and spring seasons or 3-delay all VHSL sports and adopt the Condensed Interscholastic Plan-everyone plays in the spring.

My county alone had students returning in a August with a hybrid plan of virtual and school attendance for phase 3 plus a plan for phase 2 if Virginia rolls back and go all virtual.

After school board mtg Monday nite, board decided to go all virtual til Oct 12. They are also coming up with a plan to let students whom don't have wifi to come into the schools and use computers there. Wifi hotspots on buses in various parts of the county was a complete bust.

As a retired teacher/coach/administrator, I’m glad I’m retired! What a mess! I feel awful for all parties involved.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Honest question - what would you do as a coach if one of your players tests positive on a Thursday when they’ve been practicing with the team in close contact already for a few days earlier in the week? Does the whole team get tested? How many players would have to quarantine for 2 weeks after being exposed to this kid? Can you even play week to week when substantial numbers of players are missing due to quarantine?
They have not released specific guidelines yet. My prediction would be mandatory two weeks quarantine for anyone that was in his “practice group” basically everyone that may have been in close contact. For us, that would be everyone. Some schools may be large enough that it would only let be a set group. My hope is they would postpone the game to be made up, and also why I am pessimistic if having a season.

With CTE, high school football's days are probably numbered already. This may accelerate it some parts of the country.

I doubt i will be forced to wear one while shopping at Walmart
You will now. All Walmart stores and a ton of other businesses are requiring a mask to shop there. They are legally allowed to make you as private business owners reserve the right to refuse service to you for any reason as long as its not what makes you part of a protected class.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
He's saying that the original poster doesn't care about the inconvenience of the less fortunate, which is dumb considering COVID-19 inconveniences (and poses a potential exposure/affliction risk) to all of us.

It's terrible that 135k have died and it's awful that even more will continue to do so, but this is going to happen whether or not high schools and colleges play sports this fall. Let's not try to isolate ourselves forever, now.
Not the same death numbers though. Playing fall sports will increase deaths significantly.

I don’t have high school aged kids, so those who do, what are you hearing about high school football and other sports?

Our school district has elected to delay the start of school and go 100% virtual for at least the first month. They have not made a decision on extracurricular activities, but I’m doubtful they will approve those if they won’t even allow kids into school. What are y’all hearing in your towns?

It would really suck for these kids to have their season cancelled. I would imagine it would also have upstream effects with regards to recruits missing a season of play and development. Hopefully we don’t get a class full of J.J. Peterson’s.

It all sucks....
Freshman through seniors...

No. There will be no high school football....

Reactions: CA_Vol
SIAP

Knoxville Catholic player tested positive...All practice cancelled until at least July 3oth.
Knoxville Catholic stops practice after player tests positive for COVID-19

Maybe coaches and schools go in the other direction with it. If a kid comes down testing positive, the team quarantines all together in the gym on cots for 10 to 14 days and keeps the practice schedule moving along for those well enough to participate. My son in law had a business partner with a low grade fever one morning. He tested positive and his only symptoms for his 10 day quarantine in Rutherford County was that same early low grade fever which passed by noon the same day.

I really hope that you are right. But I would definitely bet against the end of August mark.
I just heard the other day an unexact number of the vaccines going through human trials are nearing the final phase of testing. 10 days to 2 weeks, and close to the same to crunch the numbers. If one is definitive? I would win the bet, and the whole world will win something bigger.

Reactions: Kdbnab1
I just heard the other day an unexact number of the vaccines going through human trials are nearing the final phase of testing. 10 days to 2 weeks, and close to the same to crunch the numbers. If one is definitive? I would win the bet, and the whole world will win something bigger.
Trust me, I’m rooting for this to be the case. I just don’t think it will be until 2021 that we have a vaccine available for use.

TSSAA just ruled that fall sports can proceed even if the district is virtual learning only. No scrimmages, fans, players, coaches, personnel temp checked prior to every practice/game. Stadiums 1/3 to 1/4 empty with seats marked to ensure social distance. Fans must wear masks. Concessions “discouraged”

TSSAA just ruled that fall sports can proceed even if the district is virtual learning only. No scrimmages, fans, players, coaches, personnel temp checked prior to every practice/game. Stadiums 1/3 to 1/4 empty with seats marked to ensure social distance. Fans must wear masks. Concessions “discouraged”

And who do they decide gets in the gate?

Trust me, I’m rooting for this to be the case. I just don’t think it will be until 2021 that we have a vaccine available for use.

If the results of the tests are definitive? Somebody is going to be mass producing it quickly. Cracks me up Bernie Sanders is pitching a fit for it to be free. It might be at coast, but I doubt it will be free.

In GA, I'm hearing practice will start and kids will be wearing masks. So in the humid heat of GA, they're going to work these kids while wearing masks? Anyone who has played the game can only imagine how that's gonna go. If my kids were still playing, I'm not sure I'd let them participate. Wearing a mask in that environment seems like a bigger risk than the wuhan Chinese virus.

With CTE, high school football's days are probably numbered already. This may accelerate it some parts of the country.
Isn’t it amazing how many people who probably have zero knowledge of the game of football are so hell bent on having an impact on it? I think it’s easy to conclude, a negative impact at that. I’ve never been one of those people who subscribe to the idea that there is a “war on football”, but it’s hard not to think that there is a concerted effort being made to point out all the negatives that are associated with the game. Right now is a very critical time for college football to establish a position of leadership because it’s gonna be death by a million paper cuts if it continues down the current path.

VN Store

Back